Next Up: Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Up: Illinois State

Last year's National Runner Up, is 7-1 only losing to Iowa, and a solid team.

They return several, if not most of the key players from last year's squad.

They have had some close contests, in the Valley, but they always find a way to win.

Post what you know about them here.
    Last edited by da_coach; 11-02-2015, 11:44 AM. Reason: oops...they are 7-1, my bad. forgot 1st game.

Re: Next Up: Illinois State

Task #1 Don't let Roberson run all over us.. Defense has to keep playing well

Comment

I'm very excited for this game as it is going to be a real test for our defense. ISU-R has only been held under 21 points once this year and that was against Iowa. I think that if our offense can sustain some sort of modest success, unlike NDSU and UNI, we win. We cannot have a pile of 3 and outs with our defense playing 35+ minutes and expect to win. It appears that we will continue to platoon our QB's...I'm not a fan of this approach at all, but I will be cheering for both of those young men to perform well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
        I'm very excited for this game as it is going to be a real test for our defense. ISU-R has only been held under 21 points once this year and that was against Iowa. I think that if our offense can sustain some sort of modest success, unlike NDSU and UNI, we win. We cannot have a pile of 3 and outs with our defense playing 35+ minutes and expect to win. It appears that we will continue to platoon our QB's...I'm not a fan of this approach at all, but I will be cheering for both of those young men to perform well.
        We'll know Saturday if we are contenders or pretenders.

I'm with this guy. If we expect to win Saturday we have to win TOP.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          We'll know Saturday if we are contenders or pretenders.

I'm with this guy. If we expect to win Saturday we have to win TOP.
          I agree this Saturday will tell a bunch. Historically we have struggled with this type of team. I'm not sure TOP will have as much to do with the outcome as stopping the big plays will.

Comment

One year we threw a snowstorm at them. That worked. But, looks like Saturday's forecast calls for 48 degrees and a 9 mph wind out of the west. Maybe we should tear down the west side stands before the game?

I'm picking the 'Rabbits in a close one, 17-14.

Comment

My guess this is the loss between NDSU and UNI, lose like 21-14ish. shows we are a good team will have a good chance to make the playoffs and maybe win a game. I hope i am wrong, but wont be surprised if we lose a disapointing game again.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This game has all the makings for us to go out and lay a stinker. Final game at Coughlin, Senior Day, #1 rated team coming, win out and we are likely a top 4 seed. Seems like a lot of games with similar situations we just don't play well for some reason. I really hope I'm wrong but just don't have a very good feeling about this one

Comment

The last time the Jacks won a game of this magnitude was probably when the Bison came in undefeated in the final game of 2007. Since then the Jacks trend has been to win almost all the games they should win,but really haven't upset a top tier team. If they want a seed and a real chance to make a run in the playoffs,they need to win this one. The defense needs to sell out to stopping the run (including Roberson) and make them win the game through the air. The way it sounds,there might be some rain late in the week so the footing may not be ideal. The Jacks need to find some footwear better than what they wore on Hobo Day.

Comment

Big plays and quick scores will hurt the Jacks if Roberson has the middle of the field to run and that is what the defense has been giving opponents for weeks and it shows on game film. The linebackers cannot miss tackles and must stay home.
                    Stig needs to figure out why the team has played poorly at home and better on the road this year. Preparation meeting opportunity is the key. Maybe they focus and prepare better for the road games. Something has been off at CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      The last time the Jacks won a game of this magnitude was probably when the Bison came in undefeated in the final game of 2007. Since then the Jacks trend has been to win almost all the games they should win,but really haven't upset a top tier team. If they want a seed and a real chance to make a run in the playoffs,they need to win this one. The defense needs to sell out to stopping the run (including Roberson) and make them win the game through the air. The way it sounds,there might be some rain late in the week so the footing may not be ideal. The Jacks need to find some footwear better than what they wore on Hobo Day.
                      I agree with everything in your post, however this game has more meaning than the 2007 game for our program.

Comment

Need to wrap up and tackle, be disciplined and have the D get off the field on 3rd downs. D-line doesn't need sacks perse' but QB hurries and knockdowns will be just as effective.

For or the love of all that is Holy, whoever the QB is the line has to play lights out. That means the LT needs help, heck have Louscher in full time just to max protect and/or chip that guy. Quick hitters, 3 step drops and quick hit runs. Establish that then work in play action, options and deep passes.

Special teams coverage, again lane discipline and wrap up. Returns need straight forward max yards, no dancing and cutting back. This team is too fast. Carlson needs to continue his strong performances of the last few weeks. Hale also needs to build upon the confidence he's gained. I think field position will be as big a factor as TOP.

Execute, shoot for 1-0 and play like it's your last play. I'll take the Jacks 27-21 to close out CAS in style, tear up the turf and continue to work for that top 8 seed.

Comment

To be honest I feel pretty good about coming into this one. That most likely means we will piss it down our leg but hey. The games we tend to choke are Hobo Day, UNI, and NDSU. Generally speaking we perform fairly well the rest of the year. As long as we don't play the two qb game I like our chances. ISUR has had nail biters vs YSU, ISUB, and UNI. I think our D is really playing great right now, and I think our O will be able to move the ball. As long as we don't settle for fgs when we should be getting TDs I like our chances. In fact I think I saw somewhere we are opening as 3 pt favorites. That tells me that the oddsmakers want people to put money on ISUR, and they don't set those lines to lose money.
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Pretty simple to me:

If the offensive line holds their own, we win.

If they don't. We lose.

Been that way every game so far this year. Why would Saturday be any different?
                            Last edited by Kemo; 11-03-2015, 01:12 AM.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

I think Kemo zeroed in on the critical issue. Will ISU defenders be camped out in our backfield all game? Hopefully the coaches are making a few changes to help out the issues along the O-Line.

I wonder how well the ISU offense will translate to a cool November day on grass. Hopefully that will slow them down just a little. My guess is that our offense is going to have to find a way to put up 21+ points to get the win.

I think it might happen for no other reason than I found out last night that I will not be able to attend. Something magical is bound to happen. If anyone wants my pair of discounted tickets (east side, 9th row, 35-yard line) see the "Ticket Exchange" thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X