Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coverage

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    I think the Argus still has fewer sports people than they did a year or two ago even after the new Augie/USF beat writer was hired. TV covered the Skyforce if I remember correctly and the area of sports and the media. And all the sports people have done some high school stuff during the playoff season - like Zimmer is doing now.
    yeah, i think the part time staff and writers are cut back.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'd like to see more coverage on recruiting, especially verbals, but I think Zimmer has done a good, solid job.
      This space for lease.

Comment

On a day in which there were 3 home events, the Argus beat writer for the Jacks was in SF playing co-ed flag football. He even has an article in the Argus recapping the championship game...in the Jackrabbit online section nonetheless. Good stuff.
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          On a day in which there were 3 home events, the Argus beat writer for the Jacks was in SF playing co-ed flag football. He even has an article in the Argus recapping the championship game...in the Jackrabbit online section nonetheless. Good stuff.
          Did he win?

Comment

I guess that would explain why there was no coverage of the basketball double-header last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              I guess that would explain why there was no coverage of the basketball double-header last night.
              Or, more importantly, the Jacks win in the Summit League Soccer Tourney.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I saw that article too. By the looks of the grammar in that article, it looks like he posted it while drunk. I was disappointed, I thought my city league C division basketball game would get some coverage. Speaking of that, Anthony Cordova has a team in the C division because they couldn't get in A... Not cool.

Comment

I was disappointed to see the article too. I haven't looked at the print version of the Argus to see if that "story" was in the actual newspaper. I hope it was simply a light-hearted blog entry (but I fear it may not have been). It was the first article listed in the Jackrabbit's link online but I think there have been links to blog postings before (and those items are not printed in the newspaper). Has anyone checked the print Argus to see if that "article" is there?

It troubles me when a writer writes about himself in a "news" article on a topic that has no practical newsworthiness and is only written so that somebody's drinking buddy thinks the writer is funny. It troubles me because I think I did that when I was an aspiring journalism student. Fortunately, I had some editors who wielded red pens without mercy. I'll chalk up Zim's city-league report as proof that Zim is human and makes dumb errors like most of us. He has often demonstrated a solid ability in covering the Jacks. [Zim: if you wander on to this message board -- know this: don't do dumb stuff like that. It's beneath you and your abilities. Second: don't come to this message board again. These people complain a lot. ]

There is greatness in some sports writing but Zim's reporting on his city-league prowess indicates to me he doesn't aspire to be the next Jim Murray. [Want a good laugh and not familiar with Murray? Get one of Murray's book at your local library (free) or on Amazon (still worth the $9.99) or read some of his memorable quotes in Wikipedia:
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Mu...Notable_quotes ]

Big day tomorrow. Jacks take their shot at NDSU and the league crown in soccer and reminding Illinois State why they play the game. Go Jacks.

Comment

The "article" was not in the newspaper, apparently just a blog. I didn't expect coverage of the exhibition games, but I am disappointed that the Argus didn't see fit to cover the Summit League Soccer championships, except for brief summaries of the games.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I was disappointed to see the article too. I haven't looked at the print version of the Argus to see if that "story" was in the actual newspaper. I hope it was simply a light-hearted blog entry (but I fear it may not have been). It was the first article listed in the Jackrabbits link online but I think there have been links to blog postings before (and those items are not printed in the newspaper). Has anyone checked the print Argus to see if that "article" is there?

It troubles me when a writer writes about himself in a "news" article on a topic that has no practical newsworthiness and is only written so that somebody's drinking buddy thinks the writer is funny. I'll just chalk it up to proof that Zim is human and makes dumb errors like most of us. He has oftem demonstrated a solid ability in covering the Jacks.

There is greatness in some sports writing but Zim's reporting on his city-league prowess indicates to me he doesn't aspire to be the next Jim Murray. Want a good laugh and not familiar with Murray? Get one of Murray's book at your local library (free) or on Amazon (still worth the $9.99) or read some of his memorable quotes in Wikipedia:
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Mu...Notable_quotes
                      99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999 percent sure that it's a blog only. Considering he gets asked weekly about his flag football team in the live chat, big deal.

Comment

Talk about over reaction to something. Must be a slow Friday for some people? It was a light hearted blog post, I'm sure if the Argus really wanted a write up on the basketball games or the soccer games they would have made him do it or sent someone else to cover the games.

Comment

Ouch... fair criticism, and does not speak well for Zimmer. I'm guessing a few SDSU fans will hold him accountable on the next live chat.

To be fair, he has a boss (I assume) and cleared his night off with that boss (I assume). The boss is also at fault here.

Another thing, hard to bang on the beat writer when the school doesn't treat it seriously either - no Extra feed.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

That makes sense (that it was a blog only) I think that blog "standards of conduct" permit such personal reporting. I'd prefer the Argus mark blog entries so that I can avoid them when I'm looking for news.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                              Talk about over reaction to something. Must be a slow Friday for some people? It was a light hearted blog post, I'm sure if the Argus really wanted a write up on the basketball games or the soccer games they would have made him do it or sent someone else to cover the games.
                              I think the problem is not so much with Zimmer, but more with the Argus not seeing it necessary to cover the soccer match or exhibition games, especially one against an SD team in DWU. Zimmer's post in the SDSU section just highlighted the lack of coverage.

Comment

The Argus doesn't take sporting events seriously it would suggest to me.They have to re-evaluate their perception on what they think their readers would like to see/know about.I can see why they're a "struggling" Newspaper.

Comment

Working...
                                X