Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playoffs

Good news on a Thursday night. #4 Coastal Carolina just lost to Liberty.

Comment

#4 Costal Carolina just got beat by a 6-5 Liberty squad. That should help the jacks in getting a top 8 seed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by More_Cowbell View Post
        #4 Costal Carolina just got beat by a 6-5 Liberty squad. That should help the jacks in getting a top 8 seed.

Yep, Liberty 24, CC 21. Big loss. Bad loss.

Headline and link to video clip on ESPN:

Coastal Carolina lined up for a bizarre trick play while attempting a two-point conversion after a touchdown. However, nothing went right on the play.
        http://espn.go.com/college-football/...a-chanticleers

Comment

Originally posted by More_Cowbell View Post

This "shouldn't" have had an effect on the Jacks seed, but you never know what the committee might do, especially when there's good recent history on Coastal Carolina's side.

The Coastal Chickens were inexplicably ranked ahead of the Jacks in the recent STATS poll (not used in the selection process), however, so at least there's that.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            I don't think the whole conference champion thing carries as much weight this year because the two teams on top never played each other. If they had, one of them would have two losses like the Jacks. If all three win out, they should be seeded NDSU, SDSU and ISU. We are above ISU with both teams having two losses and the Jacks winning head to head and having the FBS win.
            But you guys have one more conference loss. They cant just assume NDSU wouldve beaten ISU. Nothing against you guys but I think they put ISU ahead of you guys. I think you'll be 6th or 7th. The committee seems to play "fair" and spread things around a little bit regarding the seeding. Wouldnt shock me if it was 1. JSU 2. McNeese 3. NDSU 4. W&M 5. ISU 6. PSU 7. SDSU 8. CSU

Comment

Originally posted by ndsubison1 View Post
              But you guys have one more conference loss. They cant just assume NDSU wouldve beaten ISU. Nothing against you guys but I think they put ISU ahead of you guys. I think you'll be 6th or 7th. The committee seems to play "fair" and spread things around a little bit regarding the seeding. Wouldnt shock me if it was 1. JSU 2. McNeese 3. NDSU 4. W&M 5. ISU 6. PSU 7. SDSU 8. CSU
              I do have a slight fear that the committee will play the "spread the wealth" card, but I think it would be hard to justify a seeding like this given SDSU's resume compared to some of the teams you have in front of them.

Also, I think they will choose a criteria and stick with it, which regardless of what they use, puts SDSU in the middle of the seeding.

For instance, if they are going to play the "win your conference card," it would be hard to justify PSU over SDSU since they likely won't be Big Sky Conference Champs, as SUU still has the inside track for that (and we know how they played against SDSU). If they want to elevate PSU for a P5 win, then they'd have to elevate SDSU too because they have one of those (admittedly against a weaker P5 team).

Going down the line of what could be valued:

Good Wins: SDSU will likely have as many wins against playoff teams as any other team and 1 of 2 P5 victories.

Bad Loses: SDSU only lost to a playoff seed and a likely playoff team. Most 9-2 teams vying for a seed have a loss to a "non-playoff team." ISU-Red and Charleston Southern likely will only have playoff, FBS losses, but not as good of wins, especially CSU.

Computer Rankings: SDSU will likely be top 4 in every one.

I'm not saying I trust the committee, but most of the data points really can't justify being diplomatic with the seeding. The only way to put SDSU below #5 will be applying different criteria to different teams.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by ndsubison1 View Post
                Conference losses don't really come into play in this. It's just losses, and who they were too. In conference only really matters for selecting the autobid, but the committee has nothing to do with that anyways. I would say the biggest hurt in our losses when compared to ISUr is that both our losses were at home, which I'm sure doesn't look great. But I wouldn't be shocked if your scenario plays out, just disagree with the fact that the losses were in conference would be the reason.
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

• 2015 playoffs

Time to start it up and prepare for the next season. 1-0 starts again.

I realize there is a playoffs thread but thought just like the team we need to renew and rejuvenate. There is a great football team here and they have surpassed many if not all of our expectations.

Comment

• Re: 2015 playoffs

FWIW, Dom Izzo and Craig Haley both have SDSU seeded still.

We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                      FWIW, Dom Izzo and Craig Haley both have SDSU seeded still.

We'll see.
                      wouldnt totally surprise me, there isn't any bad losses on the resume'. A 6-8 seed isn't unreasonable

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                        wouldnt totally surprise me, there isn't any bad losses on the resume'. A 6-8 seed isn't unreasonable
                        Only thing is they technically finished 5th in the MVFC. UNI and WIU overtook them with tiebreakers.

But hopefully FBS win + win over a bunch of ranked teams including the #2 team can get them a seed. Didn't lose to a team with a losing record either. It could go either way

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                          Only thing is they technically finished 5th in the MVFC. UNI and WIU overtook them with tiebreakers.

But hopefully FBS win + win over a bunch of ranked teams including the #2 team can get them a seed. Didn't lose to a team with a losing record either. It could go either way
                          Be interesting if the committee would consider all the travel difficulties the Jacks had and then going to double overtime. Probably not, but it very well could get mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                            Exactly. Whether it will carry the day with the committee, I think we have a very reasonable chance of being in the top 8 seeds (maybe #8) for these reasons. In both the Coaches Poll and the Stats Poll, William and Mary is included. They lost Saturday and are now 8-3 as are we. Chattanooga was #9 and lost and is now 8-3. Neither of those has a BCS win, and neither of them had to play anybody in the top 8 seeds while we had to play two, and beat one of them. And the ONLY reason that I can see that they wouldn't put us in the top 8 is if they decided they weren't going to give the MVFC more than two teams (and that would have to be a subjective decision). The more I think about it, the better I feel we might make it. And Dom Izzo has earned my respect as a sound observer on FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              Exactly. Whether it will carry the day with the committee, I think we have a very reasonable chance of being in the top 8 seeds (maybe #8) for these reasons. In both the Coaches Poll and the Stats Poll, William and Mary is included. They lost Saturday and are now 8-3 as are we. Chattanooga was #9 and lost and is now 8-3. Neither of those has a BCS win, and neither of them had to play anybody in the top 8 seeds while we had to play two, and beat one of them. And the ONLY reason that I can see that they wouldn't put us in the top 8 is if they decided they weren't going to give the MVFC more than two teams (and that would have to be a subjective decision). The more I think about it, the better I feel we might make it. And Dom Izzo has earned my respect as a sound observer on FCS.
                              I don't think our win against an 0-11 FBS team that lost 49-0 today will carry any weight with the committee. Kansas is terrible.

Comment

I have this feeling after looking at things all night that regionalization might help us get a seed/bye and host one of the 3 games:
                                uni/und
                                montana/suu
                                eiu/uni
                                uni/wiu(I think this one is a stretch)

A lot of teams in this area will probably make the field at 7-4/8-3

Going to be interesting....just not sure we deserve it though.
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X