Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo day "THE THREAD"

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Does it really though? maybe its just my headache or the weather, but seems rather vain, not sure if thats the right word, but thats besides the point. coaching staff, scholarships, degrees, location, facilities I would assume are what most recruits and parents worry about, seems silly to me to me to build hype and get kids excitied for a game. If the kids cant get pumped up to play UNI regardless of the uniform, we have bigger issues then. Out of curiosity? does NDSU do any different things for their unis? I know USD started too I think last year, but wasnt sure if others in the area buy into the uniform hype as much.
    NDSU has at least one set of gold uniforms they will wear on special occasions. They wore them for UND this year.

USD has a couple of different uniforms other than the traditional red and white.

Everyone does it, UND has in the past worn black; Montana has four different sets this year including a set of the old copper color jerseys, which in my mind they should have stuck with.

I like it, the players like it, does it fire them up? I don't know. What I do know is that it is the trend. A few larger schools buck that trend (PSU, Alabama) but almost every school FCS or FBS in this country has at least one set of alternate uniforms. Heck, talk about tradition; Notre Dame has been doing it since the 80s or earlier when they would pull out the green uniforms for special games.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Does it really though? maybe its just my headache or the weather, but seems rather vain, not sure if thats the right word, but thats besides the point. coaching staff, scholarships, degrees, location, facilities I would assume are what most recruits and parents worry about, seems silly to me to me to build hype and get kids excitied for a game. If the kids cant get pumped up to play UNI regardless of the uniform, we have bigger issues then. Out of curiosity? does NDSU do any different things for their unis? I know USD started too I think last year, but wasnt sure if others in the area buy into the uniform hype as much.
      Reality is there are kids who get into fights cause somebody scuffed their "J's". Not around here so much, but the reality is image matters. And outside of having the jerseys look classic and old school (which I do love) our tradition isn't amazing, let's be honest. Kids these days aren't worried about what happened in the 60's, and recently outside of when we went DI we weren't exactly world beaters. Do you think a kid from Houston or AZ is going to know or care much about our tradition, outside of our success in the last ten years, or about what we can offer them as a school and program. Tell you one thing about the kids nowadays, having a straight traditional look only works for teams at FBS who are know as a big time program. An extra nugget like "cool" jerseys is only going to help. Guaranteed no kid goes home and says damn I love how traditional those jerseys were. But I bet a few go man those were pretty sick. Will we be chosen over another school for it? Nope, and I don't want to be, but to me if we stick with the old school exclusively it won't match up with all the other upgrades and alternatives just add to the overall picture of being a DI school. Reality is we don't measure our program with USD (at least I hope not) and we don't have the tradition of a NDSU. Recruiting is about setting yourself apart as a school, and some cool new threads certainly won't hurt that. If you think about it, how many kids do you see rocking Oregon stuff? Compared to the older crowd? That should tell you it does make an impact. A New Jersey won't get the team more jacked for a game, but a bet they do get excited for it on some level and it helps with recruiting some. When a recruit comes in one thing they are told by EVERY school is who supplies their jerseys and gear. They get shown the jerseys. Why is that? Maybe cause it does matter some?
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        I agree that current players and recruits like love the alternates. No argument here. All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be counted on as this massive recruiting tool that will impact the decisions made by recruits because that narrative has been proven false from the mouths of recruits themselves.
        How did it go from "creating excitement" to "massive recruitment tool"? Don't put words in my mouth to fuel the fire. Fact of the matter is, HS and College aged athletes get excited about new/alternate uniforms. That excitement is a positive. Google uniform reveal videos if you feel differently and watch how athletes react. (Also note how many of those revealed uniforms are black...even though it's not a primary color of the school doing the revealing).
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          How did it go from "creating excitement" to "massive recruitment tool"? Don't put words in my mouth to fuel the fire. Fact of the matter is, HS and College aged athletes get excited about new/alternate uniforms. That excitement is a positive. Google uniform reveal videos if you feel differently and watch how athletes react. (Also note how many of those revealed uniforms are black...even though it's not a primary color of the school doing the revealing).
          Gray seems to be the new black for fashion-forward uniforms nowadays.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
            Google uniform reveal videos if you feel differently and watch how athletes react. (Also note how many of those revealed uniforms are black...even though it's not a primary color of the school doing the revealing).
            A discussion on black.

For those who hate black because it is not a school color, do you have the same distain for white?

Last I checked white has not received any negative comments, yet at the same time while I was checking it turns out white is not a school color either.

Certainly the song is not "the Yellow and the Blue... And sometimes White when the fans agree, but never Black: bad guys wear Black."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              A discussion on black.

For those who hate black because it is not a school color, do you have the same distain for white?

Last I checked white has not received any negative comments, yet at the same time while I was checking it turns out white is not a school color either.

Certainly the song is not "the Yellow and the Blue... And sometimes White when the fans agree, but never Black: bad guys wear Black."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
              So from now on its "SDSU Harrah for the Yellow and white and blue and black and any combination thereof:"

Comment

When we changed uniform suppliers a few years back the old uniform and practice jerseys were sold to the public at Frost arena. I went to this sale and the first uniforms to sell out were the BLACK. In fact they didn't even get them out of the box to put on the table. Just sayin.....

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  When we changed uniform suppliers a few years back the old uniform and practice jerseys were sold to the public at Frost arena. I went to this sale and the first uniforms to sell out were the BLACK. In fact they didn't even get them out of the box to put on the table. Just sayin.....
                  Because they were sweet. The old Nike Black Men's BBall uniforms were the best. Better than the Under Armour version that we currently use. I snatched one up at that same event. It proudly hangs framed in my basement. My kids don't even complain that it's not a school color.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    So from now on its "SDSU Harrah for the Yellow and white and blue and black and any combination thereof:"
                    They're just school colors Nidaros....geez,you're such a "traditionalist"....LOL [CAUTION SARCASM USED]

Comment

How come the women's basketball team never gets black Uni's.Might as well throw equal opportunity into the argument,since we now have politically correct colors all of a sudden.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        How come the women's basketball team never gets black Uni's.Might as well throw equal opportunity into the argument,since we now have politically correct colors all of a sudden.
                        Women get pink Uni's. Equal opportunity problem averted.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                          Women get pink Uni's. Equal opportunity problem averted.
                          I dunno about that. What color is prostate cancer awareness again?

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Black???

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                              Black???
                              Brown???
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

http://www.choosehope.com/category/b...or-cancer-type

Comment

Working...
                                X