Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Robert Morris

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    What kind of aircraft would land in Brookings?
    I'm not actually an aviator, but have had a lifetime hobbyist interest in such matters, so . . .

BKX has a 6000-foot runway. That's adequate (perhaps barely) for small commercial jets (Embraers and Bombardiers) and large turboprop commercial aircraft (Bombardiers, ATRs) but better suited to smaller (30-seat and below) turboprops) and private aircraft.

To provide probably way too much information, an Embraer E-170 jet (up to 78 passengers) has a recommended takeoff field length of from 4,865 to 5,394 ft. (depending on version) and a landing field length of 4,029 to 4,072 ft, for instance. A Bombardier Q400 turboprop (up to 86 seats) has a takeoff field length of 4,265 to 4,675 ft. and a landing field length of 4,160 to 4,230 ft. depending on version.

(Info from respective airframe manufacturers' web sites)

If I recall, a general rule of thumb for pilots is that you would really like to have twice as much runway as your aircraft needs to take off or land. You can do with less, but your margins for error (and corresponding stress level) are adjusted accordingly with shorter runways. Ask a Southwest Airlines pilot sometime about how much fun it is to land at Chicago Midway, for instance, where every few years a SWA 737 runs off the end of Midway's short runways. Tight margins, there.

If you really, really had to, you could probably put down a lightly-loaded 747 at BKX but I personally would rather not be on board when you're trying it. Getting the 747 off the ground again would be something of a piloting challenge as well, unless you put in just enough fuel to get it to Sioux Falls or somewhere with a longer runway.

For comparison, Sioux Falls FSD's long runway is 9,000 ft with a secondary runway of 7,983 ft; Watertown has two runways, 6,900 and 6,895 ft. Huron's got a 7,200-foot runway.

(Runway lengths from the South Dakota 2015-16 Airport Directory, on the SD DOT web site)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just for fun, I've made a side by side comparison of a few stats for this weekends matchup. These are stats from SDSU's 2 games so far this season and RMU's 3 games, one of which was vs a D2 opponent.

OFFENSE
      Yd. Per Rush RMU- 3.0 / SDSU- 4.5
      Yd. Per Catch RMU- 10.2 / SDSU- 18.5
      Pass Eff. RMU- 84.85 / SDSU- 181.36
      All Purpose YPG RMU- 378.3 / SDSU- 629.5
      Total Offensive YPG RMU- 258.3 / SDSU- 521.5

DEFENSE
      Yd. Per Rush Allowed RMU- 3.2 / SDSU-5.1
      Yd. Per Catch Allowed RMU- 12.7 / SDSU- 10.1
      Opp. Pass Eff. RMU- 111.92 / SDSU- 115.57
      Opp. All Purpose YPG RMU- 423.0 / SDSU- 555.0
      Opp. Total Off. YPG RMU- 317.3 / SDSU- 422.0

A few more stats that I believe are critical for any team:
      Time of Poss. Margin RMU- +14:12 (3 game total) / SDSU- +11:00 (2 game total)
      Turnover Margin RMU- 5/8 +3 / SDSU- 0/4 +4
      Rush Att. PG RMU- 52.3 / SDSU- 40
      Pass Att. PG RMU- 21.3 / SDSU- 31.5
      Penalties/YDS RMU- 23/252 (3 game total) / SDSU- 11/95 (2 game total)
      Sagarin Rating RMU- 213 / SDSU- 67
      RMU Opp. Sagarin Rating- Dayton- 205, YSU- 98
      SDSU Opp. Sagarin Rating- KU- 115, SUU- 206

Take this for what its worth, to me these stats are interesting to compare. If you look at the sagarin ratings of our D1 opponents, we have very similar D1 SOS thus far. They lost both games, probably should have beat Dayton, I think the YSU game was a result of the weather and YSU not being prepared or underestimating RMU. We cannot underestimate this team, or we will have a much closer game on our hands than I would like. If the Jacks show up and take care of business I dont think we have much to worry about.

I have the Jacks winning and going 3-0
      Jacks- 47
      RMU- 13

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        I'm not actually an aviator, but have had a lifetime hobbyist interest in such matters, so . . .

BKX has a 6000-foot runway. That's adequate (perhaps barely) for small commercial jets (Embraers and Bombardiers) and large turboprop commercial aircraft (Bombardiers, ATRs) but better suited to smaller (30-seat and below) turboprops) and private aircraft.

To provide probably way too much information, an Embraer E-170 jet (up to 78 passengers) has a recommended takeoff field length of from 4,865 to 5,394 ft. (depending on version) and a landing field length of 4,029 to 4,072 ft, for instance. A Bombardier Q400 turboprop (up to 86 seats) has a takeoff field length of 4,265 to 4,675 ft. and a landing field length of 4,160 to 4,230 ft. depending on version.

(Info from respective airframe manufacturers' web sites)

If I recall, a general rule of thumb for pilots is that you would really like to have twice as much runway as your aircraft needs to take off or land. You can do with less, but your margins for error (and corresponding stress level) are adjusted accordingly with shorter runways. Ask a Southwest Airlines pilot sometime about how much fun it is to land at Chicago Midway, for instance, where every few years a SWA 737 runs off the end of Midway's short runways. Tight margins, there.

If you really, really had to, you could probably put down a lightly-loaded 747 at BKX but I personally would rather not be on board when you're trying it. Getting the 747 off the ground again would be something of a piloting challenge as well, unless you put in just enough fuel to get it to Sioux Falls or somewhere with a longer runway.

For comparison, Sioux Falls FSD's long runway is 9,000 ft with a secondary runway of 7,983 ft; Watertown has two runways, 6,900 and 6,895 ft. Huron's got a 7,200-foot runway.

(Runway lengths from the South Dakota 2015-16 Airport Directory, on the SD DOT web site)
        Way to nerd it up in here.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          Way to nerd it up in here.
          My turn.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            41 pts is large, especially with NDSU next week, I expect that if it gets out of hand early, most of the starters will be on the sideline when that happens
            Looks like people are starting to catch on to the fact that the spread may be too large. It started at 42 earlier this week and is down to 40 now.

Comment

I threw the darts last night and checked them this morning. Here's the final score, plus or minus 2 on each side: SDSU 31, RMU 14. RMU's scores just before halftime and then in the final four minutes.

Comment

I think the final score will be short of the 40-point spread as well. IF we are to win by that much, I sure hope the second stringers see a lot of time.

Comment

I'd be happy with a two-score win. I don't think the Jacks' defense (pass defense, especially) is up to where it will need to be in coming weeks. Some improvement needed. This is a good game to show it.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

This game on ESPN3?
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I've read about the RMU overtime loss at Youngstown. There seems to be a tendency to slant the story in the direction of 'one Youngstown darn near gave away' rather than what RMU did right. Lots of rain during the game but the field has turf, not grass. Certainly the rain impacts both teams and can damper a team's strong points on offense. But, the game summaries show RMU was not a pushover. YSU has gotten some attention and it's hard to measure how much of that attention is based on the new coaching staff. YSU is one of those teams that likely will not be one of the top four in the MVFC yet on a given weekend, they're capable of knocking off a higher-ranked team. So, in my head, I'm concerned about this game. I'm calling it by two touchdowns and a field goal but I won't be shocked if its closer.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        This game on ESPN3?
                        I didn't see it on the ESPN schedule.

#EarsUp beautiful day for Jackrabbit Football. Let's fill the stadium!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                          This game on ESPN3?
                          Is on Midco, don't know if it is on ESPN3, but I think they pick up even local television games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            Is on Midco, don't know if it is on ESPN3, but I think they pick up even local television games.
                            A couple of days ago, the game was included on ESPN3 listings, but it was removed yesterday. I don't know that mechanism there, whether MidcoSN removes it or ESPN3 does, but it has happened before. Safe to say it will not be on ESPN3.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Well it's listed on the ESPN College Extra page. College Extra is what they are calling the Game Plan package they had before.

http://espn.go.com/espncollegeextra/

I'm hoping it will show back up on ESPN3 because I get 3 not college extra...
                              Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
                                Well it's listed on the ESPN College Extra page. College Extra is what they are calling the Game Plan package they had before.

http://espn.go.com/espncollegeextra/

I'm hoping it will show back up on ESPN3 because I get 3 not college extra...
                                I saw the same but I don't see it on the channel guide. I'll be hoping like you do.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X