Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Robert Morris

Thoughts:

I saw someone on here mentioned that Lujan underthrew the first interception. I'll have to check the replay, but live it looked like he zipped it and just didn't see the LBer, who made a really, really good play on the ball.

Our offensive line left a lot to be desired. The running game looked awful all night, other than the first play of the game and the end when they were already dead.

Run defense was bad until RMU had basically no passing threat.

Lujan looked pretty solid, but there were some times where he just held onto the ball too long. Overall, though, it seemed like he threw with more zip than last year.

I'd never seen a roughing the snapper penalty, or a delay of game for snapping too early. Those were new ones.

It might have been the replay angle, but it sure looked like the guy who caught Lujan's tipped interception landed out of bounds.

Wieneke is awesome. Had 45 yards and a TD taken away from his final stat-line. The highlight will be his last touchdown, but for my money, the best play he made was the one handed falling to the ground catch that lead to the 4th and 1 stop. Don't know how he came up with that.

Speaking of the 4th and 1, I really don't have a problem with running those plays from the shot gun. Our line got not push, so it really didn't matter how far back we started from. What I do have a problem with is that we seem to go with the same play every time for short yardage. We take Lujan out and run it up the middle. Do we have any other plays we run in that formation? Anything to the outside? We can't do that same play over and over and not expect teams to figure it out.

Most concerning to me was the line play on both sides of the ball. Neither unit looked impressive in the least.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

12 000 and change is pretty decent for Beef Bowl and a first opponent. No blow out but a good team with only 40 scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Speaking of the 4th and 1, I really don't have a problem with running those plays from the shot gun. Our line got not push, so it really didn't matter how far back we started from. What I do have a problem with is that we seem to go with the same play every time for short yardage. We take Lujan out and run it up the middle. Do we have any other plays we run in that formation? Anything to the outside? We can't do that same play over and over and not expect teams to figure it out.
        I hate hate hate it.

As for running the same play from that formation...I still maintain (for 3 years now) that we're gonna throw it at some point (though maybe not, not sure on whether there are any eligible recievers from that formation or not).
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I certainly agree with RO on the improvement of Lujan's passing. The interception was a bullet right to a guy he did not see soon enough. I am not agreeing on holding the ball too long vs. making a bad pass. A couple of times it appeared he did not have a second option for the pass as he seemed to watch one receiver or area where there were two receivers rather than looking to another area. Overall, it is a good game to get on track before the conference season where we might see something different from the offense that was not needed in the OOC.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Thoughts:

I saw someone on here mentioned that Lujan underthrew the first interception. I'll have to check the replay, but live it looked like he zipped it and just didn't see the LBer, who made a really, really good play on the ball.

Our offensive line left a lot to be desired. The running game looked awful all night, other than the first play of the game and the end when they were already dead.

Run defense was bad until RMU had basically no passing threat.

Lujan looked pretty solid, but there were some times where he just held onto the ball too long. Overall, though, it seemed like he threw with more zip than last year.

I'd never seen a roughing the snapper penalty, or a delay of game for snapping too early. Those were new ones.

It might have been the replay angle, but it sure looked like the guy who caught Lujan's tipped interception landed out of bounds.

Wieneke is awesome. Had 45 yards and a TD taken away from his final stat-line. The highlight will be his last touchdown, but for my money, the best play he made was the one handed falling to the ground catch that lead to the 4th and 1 stop. Don't know how he came up with that.

Most concerning to me was the line play on both sides of the ball. Neither unit looked impressive in the least.
            Lujan did not underthrow the interception. It was a good reaction jump and snag by the LB on a strike from Lujan headed for an open TE.

I think you have to give some credit to RMU's run defense. They stacked the box and made Lujan beat them. It was a good game plan, because Lujan struggled in the 1st half. I do agree they should have done a better job, but when a team sells out to stop the run, it's tough.

As far as the wildcat formation, or turbo I think someone called it, noone was complaining when we ran it over and over again in the 1st 2 games and it wad successful every single time. The only time I haven't seen it work is when Langer wasn't in for it. If we have the right guys in there, it is very hard to stop.

Another thought: It was great to see Landberg, Andrews, and Jones have a bunch of success in the passing game. We will need them to step up as teams try to contain Wieneke. I say contain, because there's simply no stopping him. He's the best part of SDSU football right now, so fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
              I hate hate hate it.

As for running the same play from that formation...I still maintain (for 3 years now) that we're gonna throw it at some point (though maybe not, not sure on whether there are any eligible recievers from that formation or not).
              I'm sorry that you hate it, but when Langer is in to lead block, that formation has been unstoppable this year.

Comment

Seemed like it to me it was a bit undertrown. If he gives it just a touch of air its an easy catch. For the most part I like his pass ssems much more crisp and zip then last year. One thing that I like is that if he misses he usually misses where it won't hurt. Where the wr has the best chance on it.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  Lujan did not underthrow the interception. It was a good reaction jump and snag by the LB on a strike from Lujan headed for an open TE.

I think you have to give some credit to RMU's run defense. They stacked the box and made Lujan beat them. It was a good game plan, because Lujan struggled in the 1st half. I do agree they should have done a better job, but when a team sells out to stop the run, it's tough.

As far as the wildcat formation, or turbo I think someone called it, noone was complaining when we ran it over and over again in the 1st 2 games and it wad successful every single time. The only time I haven't seen it work is when Langer wasn't in for it. If we have the right guys in there, it is very hard to stop.

Another thought: It was great to see Landberg, Andrews, and Jones have a bunch of success in the passing game. We will need them to step up as teams try to contain Wieneke. I say contain, because there's simply no stopping him. He's the best part of SDSU football right now, so fun to watch.
                  I'd just like some form of variation with the formation. Maybe there is variation, and I'm not seeing it.

Agreed with your last point. The WRs played really well tonight. Wieneke is already in Wolters/Zenner territory for me. He is just absolutely spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Seemed like it to me it was a bit undertrown. If he gives it just a touch of air its an easy catch. For the most part I like his pass ssems much more crisp and zip then last year. One thing that I like is that if he misses he usually misses where it won't hurt. Where the wr has the best chance on it.
                    I believe that's what the Midco guys said about the interception too.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      I'm sorry that you hate it, but when Langer is in to lead block, that formation has been unstoppable this year.
                      I don't hate that formation, I just hate anytime you take a 4th and 1 (or 3rd and 1 for that matter) and make it essentially 4th and 6 by running a run play out of shotgun. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Even if we had converted it, I still would've hated it.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I don't hate that formation, I just hate anytime you take a 4th and 1 (or 3rd and 1 for that matter) and make it essentially 4th and 6 by running a run play out of shotgun. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Even if we had converted it, I still would've hated it.
                        Do you consider it 1st and 15 when we start with the QB under center and he hands the ball off to a RB 5 yards deep in the backfield?

Comment

Anyone hear any more about Cole Langer's right hand? He was used sparingly in the second half -- looks like a cast covering his hand and several inches of his wrist. An early post in this thread said 'hand and finger injury'. Looks like the hand is probably in closed-fist position.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Anyone hear any more about Cole Langer's right hand? He was used sparingly in the second half -- looks like a cast covering his hand and several inches of his wrist. An early post in this thread said 'hand and finger injury'. Looks like the hand is probably in closed-fist position.
                            So many questions...what's the deal with Banasiek? Zim's live chat said he's off team as of thursday?

Dallas Brown? Concussed?

Langer's hand?

There's more I'm forgetting...

Do you consider it 1st and 15 when we start with the QB under center and he hands the ball off to a RB 5 yards deep in the backfield?
                            Negative...but for some reason on 4th down especially, a normal hand off (or wildcat, in this case) out of shotgun really really bugs me. If we ran a delayed draw in the same situation, I wouldn't be half as annoyed. I dunno man...it's one of those things.

Comment

We played like garbage up front today. Ugly. Turnovers and penalties were bad. Run game sucked.

Weineke is a freak. Liked to see some other dudes make some grabs. Gives me some confidence.

I'm almost glad we looked so ****ty tonight. Will hopefully tighten focus for the week to come.

Jimmy's pick was also a super nice play.

On to the big one.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

So many questions...what's the deal with Banasiek? Zim's live chat said he's off team as of thursday?

Dallas Brown? Concussed?

Langer's hand?

There's more I'm forgetting...

Negative...but for some reason on 4th down especially, a normal hand off (or wildcat, in this case) out of shotgun really really bugs me. If we ran a delayed draw in the same situation, I wouldn't be half as annoyed. I dunno man...it's one of those things.
                                Banasiak off team.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X