Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gameday experience

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    We have this discussion every year. I'm with SFRabbit on this one.

Someone has yet to convince me why "standing up" is so important. I can make just as much noise sitting down, while still keeping everyone around me involved, happy, and able to see the game.

For those of you in the "I have to stand" crowd, just have some consideration for the others around you. Some have been long time donors and just can't get around as well as they used to. Standing might be a chore for them. Keep in mind that could be you someday. Some of you are so completely unaware of your surroundings it is unbelievable.

If you stand and impede my family's view, I am well within my rights to ask you to sit, or have an usher do it for me.
    And I am well within my rights to say "No, I prefer to stand."

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
      A right to be rude.

Comment

If you as a fan feel the need to stand the whole game and are blocking the view of a fan that maybe can't physically stand the whole game how can you ever view that as acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          If you as a fan feel the need to stand the whole game and are blocking the view of a fan that maybe can't physically stand the whole game how can you ever view that as acceptable?
          If a person tells me that they can't physically stand, I will try not to stand most of the game but there are moments when my reaction is to stand (i.e. a crucial play, a big play by the offense or defense).

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            We have this discussion every year. I'm with SFRabbit on this one.

Someone has yet to convince me why "standing up" is so important. I can make just as much noise sitting down, while still keeping everyone around me involved, happy, and able to see the game.

For those of you in the "I have to stand" crowd, just have some consideration for the others around you. Some have been long time donors and just can't get around as well as they used to. Standing might be a chore for them. Keep in mind that could be you someday. Some of you are so completely unaware of your surroundings it is unbelievable.

If you stand and impede my family's view, I am well within my rights to ask you to sit, or have an usher do it for me.
            My elementary music teacher back in the day, Mrs. Alcock, would beg to differ. She always made us stand up straight because we could sing (make more noise...we were elementary kids after all) that way. She had a tennis ball with a face drawn on it and a mouth cut out of it that she would squeeze to show us how our mouths should look when singing (making noise). Rumor had it she moved to Germany and lived in a castle. I have no idea how true that was.

Anyhow, most of the time I stand and yell. Especially early in the game or while the game remains closely contested. If it's late and we're way up, I ease off considerably (aka, sit down and yell). I've not been asked to sit to this point.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              Actually, no you aren't. From the NCAA Game Day Environment and Fan Code of Conduct, if the usher asks you to sit, you sit. Or you risk ejection, loss of season tickets, or even arrest.

Edit: excerpts from said guide:

The NCAA and member institutions pledge to protect a fan’s right to: Support his or her team, provided the support is in good taste and does not adversely impact the event experience of fellow spectators or negatively impact the game.

The NCAA expects fans to: Comply with requests from athletics facilities staff regarding stadium policies and emergency response procedures.

The FCOC should define and post swift and specific consequences when FCOC provisions are violated, including ejection, loss of future single-game ticket privileges, loss of season ticket privileges, and arrest. The following violations should be identified as actions that may result in sanctions: Failing to follow instructions of stadium personnel or law enforcement officers.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                Actually, no you aren't. From the NCAA Game Day Environment and Fan Code of Conduct, if the usher asks you to sit, you sit. Or you risk ejection, loss of season tickets, or even arrest.

Edit: excerpts from said guide:

The NCAA and member institutions pledge to protect a fan’s right to: Support his or her team, provided the support is in good taste and does not adversely impact the event experience of fellow spectators or negatively impact the game.

The NCAA expects fans to: Comply with requests from athletics facilities staff regarding stadium policies and emergency response procedures.

The FCOC should define and post swift and specific consequences when FCOC provisions are violated, including ejection, loss of future single-game ticket privileges, loss of season ticket privileges, and arrest. The following violations should be identified as actions that may result in sanctions: Failing to follow instructions of stadium personnel or law enforcement officers.
                Cool, people telling me to sit down are adversely impacting my event experience...

It doesn't say only the people sitting have these rights. The people standing have the exact same rights as the people sitting. If I'm not yelling vulgarities or being an idiot, I have the exact same rights as everyone else in the stadium. Didn't realize standing at a football game is in poor taste.

Comment

I respect my elders, always open doors for people that need help, rarely curse and I'm clean-cut and well-spoken (at least I believe that to all be true) BUT, I would be doing a great DISrespect to the Jacks if I wasn't there to help them win and in my mind helping them win is making noise and getting excited. That is what it's all about. I will stand, I will yell on 3rd down, I will jump up and scream on a big play and on a score. That is the way I have always done it and will continue to do it. If I can't do it that way I may as well go attend that poetry meeting and stick my pinky finger out and sip tea.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    Maybe they should opt for handicap seats, which are generally unobstructed. Probably not PC, but hey, it's the truth. I'm not one to stand the whole game, or even close to that... but when I want to stand, I'll stand... simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
                      I respect my elders, always open doors for people that need help, rarely curse and I'm clean-cut and well-spoken (at least I believe that to all be true) BUT, I would be doing a great DISrespect to the Jacks if I wasn't there to help them win and in my mind helping them win is making noise and getting excited. That is what it's all about. I will stand, I will yell on 3rd down, I will jump up and scream on a big play and on a score. That is the way I have always done it and will continue to do it. If I can't do it that way I may as well go attend that poetry meeting and stick my pinky finger out and sip tea.
                      I don't think most people have issues with a guy who stands periodically and I support that. It's the guy that just think he needs to stand the whole game and might be the only one standing in the whole section. That's inconsiderate.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        Maybe they should opt for handicap seats, which are generally unobstructed. Probably not PC, but hey, it's the truth. I'm not one to stand the whole game, or even close to that... but when I want to stand, I'll stand... simple as that.
                        I think you'd be surprised at the number of folks who would struggle to stand the whole game. There aren't enough handicap seat available simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          I think you are missing the point of why the Code of Conduct was brought up in the recent post. It was because the fan was told by institutional representatives to sit down. And he replied, "I have ever right to stand if I want to." And the point was, NO he does not if he is told to sit down by them. Having said all that, two points:

A) There are not enough "handicap seats" to acomodate the people who can't stand, or can't get up and down easily.

B) There is a middle ground. I jump up a lot of times not just on 3rd down (even though you may lump me in with the "older folk" comments), but when the next play is about to begin, I sit down. I think it works (I still holler a lot even if the music teacher feels I could holler with more volume standing up) and I appreciate it when those around me do the same thing. On 3rd down for the enemy, I always stand, and holler with a lot of other folks, but when the ball is about to be snapped, I sit down. And I stand, when all those behind me are standing. IMHO I think that is being considerate. I think those who disagree and want to stand period are being rude. Others obviously don't agree.

Comment

Holy smokes.....almost feel like I should contact my lawyer before I attend a game.

Comment

Maybe if its so hard to stand or see, they should stay home and watch it on TV. We bring a 1 and 4 yearold to the games and often people infront of us realize they are standing and will start to sit. We usually have to tell them they can stand if they want and it doesnt bother us since half the time we are making sure the kids are not bothering people around us the whole time, which we havent had a time where people were not pleasant or nice or understanding with kids at the game. I think it goes both ways. Its ok to stand a cheer during big plays and drives and situations, but you dont have to stand the whole time, there is plenty of sitations that the game pace slows down or more time outs are taken, that the crowd follows with the play on the field. People who cant stand the whole time or the up and down of the game is too much for them, they need to be understanding too that others do like to stand and cheer. Pretty much if someone isnt drunk or cursing up a storm i dont really see issues with it. Unless that person is just trying to be a jerk and annoy people is different.

the NDSU fans behind us were yelling for every play and after every run or pass regardless of how crucial it was acted like it was the biggest play of the game. Totally annoying but werent cursing or wasted. after a 1 yard run he would yell, "we will take that all day" repeatedly. I dont think they were trying to be annoying, but surely were. However there were enough other bison fans around that were just fine, they stood and cheered when it waranted and didnt stand the whole time or yell.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                                I think you are missing the point of why the Code of Conduct was brought up in the recent post. It was because the fan was told by institutional representatives to sit down. And he replied, "I have ever right to stand if I want to." And the point was, NO he does not if he is told to sit down by them. Having said all that, two points:

A) There are not enough "handicap seats" to acomodate the people who can't stand, or can't get up and down easily.

B) There is a middle ground. I jump up a lot of times not just on 3rd down (even though you may lump me in with the "older folk" comments), but when the next play is about to begin, I sit down. I think it works (I still holler a lot even if the music teacher feels I could holler with more volume standing up) and I appreciate it when those around me do the same thing. On 3rd down for the enemy, I always stand, and holler with a lot of other folks, but when the ball is about to be snapped, I sit down. And I stand, when all those behind me are standing. IMHO I think that is being considerate. I think those who disagree and want to stand period are being rude. Others obviously don't agree.
                                What if I was asked to sit down once and went to the Usher and complain about someone telling me to sit down and they are adversely impacting my game experience? Would they face "arrest" like I would? Or do these rights only pertain to people that sit?

Comment

Working...
                                X