Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIU in the Cold, Cold, Cold

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Under Armour Cold gear works great (leggings, turtle neck).
    UA doesn't fit well for those of us with long inseams. I like Cabela's thermal gear. A turtle neck is essential in my opinion. You always need your head and hands covered so stocking cap and warm gloves are needed. I love my carharts so I'll likely break them out. Always 2 pair of socks and I like 800 gram boots for temps < 20 F. I have plenty of the handwarmer packets too, they are cheap and work well in the goose blind or tree stand.

The wind is ALWAYS the deal breaker. If its 15 mph or more you are going to get cold almost no matter what. If the wind is calm or you can get out of the wind you will be comfortable.

Lastly, < 20 F and beer is out. Need at least 10% ABV in the beverage to prevent freezing. I'm thinking 40% or more for Saturday.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
      Runnings also has a pretty good selection of long johns and warm clothing
      Yes! I can't believe I forgot about them.

Comment

Wow. There is definitely a method to this. Thanks guys for the info. I'm actually looking forward to catching a game in this type of weather.( being very careful of what I wish for). And to think, a cold weather game here is 55 degrees. We are spoiled.

Comment

A turtle neck of some sort is a must. Not covering the neck is a killer. I'm not sure how cold it is supposed to be, but when it gets REALLY cold, a balaclava (sp) is amazing.The warmth of your breath does amazing for keeping you warm. It won"t do much good for tailgating, but would be useful for during the game.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I don't know if you guys have a Target nearby, but they've got some nice inexpensive stuff called C9 (made by Champion). They're running clothes, but the winter running stuff works great for the bottom layer or two (base layer) under your thick stuff. Go for tech fabrics that wick moisture away from your skin. Also, merino wool stuff can be really good, although it can be expensive at times. The important thing is layers...lots of layers. Tight wicking base layer, warmer wool secondary layer (I usually go for a thin layer for this one), then I usually put on a long sleeve t-shirt, a hooded sweatshirt, and then my coat over everything. If it's at all sunny and/or over 20 degrees, I usually end up having to take the coat off so I don't overheat, but it's much better to do that than wish you had another layer or two.

I don't know from personal experience (since they don't really make running clothes), but I've also heard Carhartt stuff is very good at keeping you very warm...probably a lot of you South Dakotans already have some if you do much work outside.
            Scott
            Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
            Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Lawson View Post
              I don't know if you guys have a Target nearby, but they've got some nice inexpensive stuff called C9 (made by Champion). They're running clothes, but the winter running stuff works great for the bottom layer or two (base layer) under your thick stuff. Go for tech fabrics that wick moisture away from your skin. Also, merino wool stuff can be really good, although it can be expensive at times. The important thing is layers...lots of layers. Tight wicking base layer, warmer wool secondary layer (I usually go for a thin layer for this one), then I usually put on a long sleeve t-shirt, a hooded sweatshirt, and then my coat over everything. If it's at all sunny and/or over 20 degrees, I usually end up having to take the coat off so I don't overheat, but it's much better to do that than wish you had another layer or two.

I don't know from personal experience (since they don't really make running clothes), but I've also heard Carhartt stuff is very good at keeping you very warm...probably a lot of you South Dakotans already have some if you do much work outside.
              Thanks. Targets are located in Watertown and Sioux Falls, but thanks for the tip, I just might stop and find out what they have tomorrow when I buzz through Watertown.

Comment

I'm a big layerer.

For ISU-R in 08, UND in 10 and EIU in 12, I went with (and sat will be the same):

On the lower half, I start with long johns, then sdsu pajama pants, then sdsu jogging pants, then flannel lined jeans then bib overalls. (yes 5 layers). A pair of dress socks, a pair of regular ankle socks then a pair of superthick snowmobile socks.

Top half I start with long sleeve thermal, then an sdsu short sleeve t-shirt, then an sdsu long sleeve t-shirt, then an sdsu hoodie, then an sdsu wind breaker, then my winter coat. (yes 6 layers).

Head I've got my sdsu beanie, one of those furry eskimo hats, my sdsu hood over all of that and my winter coat hood over that.

Tucking in is essential. Don't want air coming in from under the top layers. It's a production to get ready, for sure, and I've got to basically finish the process in the garage, because I'm roasting by the time I get to the winter coat. Heaven forbid I forget to pee before I start the process.

Sure I look like Randy from The Christmas Story and if I slip on ice and fall I'm screwed, but this system has worked very well for me, haven't been cold at >20deg game yet!
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by NewJack2011 View Post
                  Wow. There is definitely a method to this. Thanks guys for the info. I'm actually looking forward to catching a game in this type of weather.( being very careful of what I wish for). And to think, a cold weather game here is 55 degrees. We are spoiled.
                  Holy crap are you in for a treat! Last forecast I heard (haven't looked today) was 18 degrees (-3 with windchill) and 70% chance of snow.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                    Holy crap are you in for a treat! Last forecast I heard (haven't looked today) was 18 degrees (-3 with windchill) and 70% chance of snow.
                    In other words, perfect football weather.

Comment

Certainly is good prep for the Dec. play-off games!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        Certainly is good prep for the Dec. play-off games!
                        If we make the playoff I would expect our first December playoff game would be played in around 60-65 degree weather with zero wind.(fargodome)

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          I have 2 reserved tickets that I won in a drawing last month to give away.
                          Those 2 are gone and the 2 complimentary tickets are gone. There are 4 Brookings High School guys making it to the game.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                            If we make the playoff I would expect our first December playoff game would be played in around 60-65 degree weather with zero wind.(fargodome)
                            Unfortunately, with regionalization a prime driver in match-ups, SDSU is the ONLY choice within the drive vs fly to Fargo. So, yes, that is likely.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                              Unfortunately, with regionalization a prime driver in match-ups, SDSU is the ONLY choice within the drive vs fly to Fargo. So, yes, that is likely.
                              Although, assuming NDSU wins out, they're still going to be a top 8 seed (probably top 4, actually) and get a first round bye, whereas, assuming you guys win out, you would probably not be a top 8 seed and would have a first round game where the winner then goes to Fargo. Nobowls.com has a pretty good bracket projection, and they've got you guys heading out to Bozeman to take on Montana State first.

But actually, westernjack said "our first December playoff game"...and technically the first round is the last weekend of November, so if you were to win the first round, then yes, your first December playoff game (second actual playoff game) would most likely be in the Fargodome.
                              Scott
                              Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
                              Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Lawson View Post
                                Although, assuming NDSU wins out, they're still going to be a top 8 seed (probably top 4, actually) and get a first round bye, whereas, assuming you guys win out, you would probably not be a top 8 seed and would have a first round game where the winner then goes to Fargo. Nobowls.com has a pretty good bracket projection, and they've got you guys heading out to Bozeman to take on Montana State first.

But actually, westernjack said "our first December playoff game"...and technically the first round is the last weekend of November, so if you were to win the first round, then yes, your first December playoff game (second actual playoff game) would most likely be in the Fargodome.
                                By Jove! Ya got it Scotty!

Comment

Working...
                                X