All Things Playoffs Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Things Playoffs Related

Sports Network has us in their latest projections. Also has 5 MVFC teams in.
    http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...ddle/index.htm

PLAYOFF FIELD

Looking at where teams may stand in a projected playoff bracket on Nov. 23, and not based on current records or conference standings:

Eastern Kentucky/Montana winner at No. 1 seed North Dakota State
    Jacksonville/Richmond winner at No. 8 seed Chattanooga
    Cal Poly/Southeastern Louisiana winner at No. 5 seed Eastern Washington
    Sam Houston State/Northern Iowa winner at No. 4 seed Illinois State
    Bethune-Cookman/Liberty winner at No. 3 seed Coastal Carolina
    Fordham/South Carolina State winner at No. 6 seed Jacksonville State
    Northern Arizona/South Dakota State winner at No. 7 seed Villanova
    Bryant/Youngstown State winner at No. 2 seed New Hampshire

On the at-large bubble: Idaho State, Indiana State, James Madison, Montana State, North Carolina A&T, Stephen F. Austin

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Sports Network has us in their latest projections. Also has 5 MVFC teams in.
      http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...ddle/index.htm

PLAYOFF FIELD

Looking at where teams may stand in a projected playoff bracket on Nov. 23, and not based on current records or conference standings:

Eastern Kentucky/Montana winner at No. 1 seed North Dakota State
      Jacksonville/Richmond winner at No. 8 seed Chattanooga
      Cal Poly/Southeastern Louisiana winner at No. 5 seed Eastern Washington
      Sam Houston State/Northern Iowa winner at No. 4 seed Illinois State
      Bethune-Cookman/Liberty winner at No. 3 seed Coastal Carolina
      Fordham/South Carolina State winner at No. 6 seed Jacksonville State
      Northern Arizona/South Dakota State winner at No. 7 seed Villanova
      Bryant/Youngstown State winner at No. 2 seed New Hampshire

On the at-large bubble: Idaho State, Indiana State, James Madison, Montana State, North Carolina A&T, Stephen F. Austin

No way 5 teams get in. In my opinion of course.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        No way 5 teams get in. In my opinion of course.
        He has 4 big soft teams on his list too. I fear they get the same number or more in then we do. We should have 5.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I can't believe that four BSC teams are even being considered. If a team from the BSC (NAU) that got beat by a team from the MVFC without a conference win (USD) gets in ahead of SDSU I will lose my mind. No way should there be close to as many teams in the field from any conference other than the MVFC. Our FCS out-of-conference record speaks for itself at 23-1 with the 1 being a loss of our worst to one of the Big Sky's best. IMO, the Valley has seven deserving teams of a playoff bid. I would put ISU-b and SIU up against any of the last at-large bids that will eventually get into the field. However, I am practical and know that seven teams won't make the playoffs from the MVFC. Conference season cannibalism has and always will set in. The SEC feels our pain and we feel theirs. That's what happens in the best conferences. Selection committees vote based on record eventually, even if they don't have a loss outside the FCS top 13 (SDSU lost to NDSU #1, ISU-r #11, and YSU #13). Big Sky team's records may look better, but they have three more teams in their conference than we do, and these teams simply absorb losses to pad the upper half's records. Our top teams are stuck playing ranked opponents week in and week out. I expect four Valley teams to make the field, but I know I will at be a little upset when/if that happens.
          "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Without some help, we'll be watching the playoffs from home, Oshkosh b'gosh!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              I think you might be onto something here, Oshkosh b'gosh.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                Yep, if we win out and don't make it we have our schedule to thank, IMO.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

YSU vs ISU(B) will be a play-in game. Althought YSU, if they pull a UNI over Bison, could also make it with a loss to ISU(B).

There can be up to 5 (or 6?) MVFC teams in the play-offs. There could also be as low as 2. The two in are NDSU/ISU(R) - If they win out, they'll both be seeded.

YSU - In if they win 1 of 2 final games. They'd be 5-3 MVFC, with wins over two other 5-3 or less teams in MVFC (SDSU/ISU(b), or over champ/#2 NDSU.
                  UNI - In if they win out, bubble if 7-5 D-I, but 7-3 FCS, including wins over NDSU/ISU(R). Downside, if 5-3, losses to teams tied with them (SDSU/ISU(B)/SIU)
                  SIU - Must win out. UNI@SIU is close to an elimination game. So is ISU(B) @ YSU.
                  SDSU - Must win last two. 3rd best OOC record of MVFC (and FCS) teams - Only NDSU & ISU(B) are better. Win over UNI/ISU(B). FCS losses to two seeded FCS, and YSU.

Comment

If the Jacks win out will the FCS playoff committee consider that fact that SDSU's senior All-American candidate QB was hurt and missed the first 8 games of the season? I think they should but I'm a little biased.

Head-to-head wins are so difficult to really assign a value to. Jacks beat UNI at their place, UNI beat the Bison at home, YSU beat SDSU in Brookings, etc...

The whole body of work must be factored in. I think a 5-3 and 8-4 Jackrabbit team that played with a 1st yr QB for 8 games deserves a playoff spot especially when coming from the most dominate conference in all of FCS.

Take care of business on the field and I think the Jackrabbits will get the nod.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      If the Jacks win out will the FCS playoff committee consider that fact that SDSU's senior All-American candidate QB was hurt and missed the first 8 games of the season? I think they should but I'm a little biased.

Head-to-head wins are so difficult to really assign a value to. Jacks beat UNI at their place, UNI beat the Bison at home, YSU beat SDSU in Brookings, etc...

The whole body of work must be factored in. I think a 5-3 and 8-4 Jackrabbit team that played with a 1st yr QB for 8 games deserves a playoff spot especially when coming from the most dominate conference in all of FCS.

Take care of business on the field and I think the Jackrabbits will get the nod.
                      Hopefully they will look at that. That said,it might be neutralized a bit because the Jacks are 5-2 with 2 really good wins with the back-up.

Comment

I'm about 90% confident we'll be in if we win out, and that percentage will only get higher if a few other games go the way they should.

I know the Oshkosh game seems like a big deal right now, but if you look at other contenders' schedules across the board you'll see many others have played a lower division game as well. Also, the MVFC had a historic OOC win/loss record this season (as in, no conference has ever come close to this kind of dominance). Even this playoff committee is going struggle for reasons to justify leaving out an MVFC team with 8 wins and a winning conference record.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

I don't think it hurts having made the playoffs the last 2 years. In addition, the high preseason ranking when voters anticipated a healthy Sumner should mean something.

I must admit I definitely like the expansion to 24 teams. If it was still at 16 or even 20 this season would almost certainly be over with the USD game.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Per Terry V. they do look at the injuries and take it into consideration.

Comment

Assuming Jacks win out, SDSU has the #1 Strength of schedule, no bad losses and 3 good wins (UNI, ISU-B, Cal Poly). We will want to see several teams not get the auto-bid (bracket buster issues).

MEAC - SCSU current has the auto-bid. A loss by SCSU opens the door for Bethune-Cookman, who beat FBS to not steal an at-large. SCSU nor NC A&T will get an at-large.
                              NAU - If win out vs SUU and UND, they're the auto-bid for the Big Sky due to a 28-27 win over EWU in Flagstaff when EWU's QB Adams was out. NAU loss would make EWU or possibly Idaho St (who'd thunk?) the auto-bid winner. EWU will be in the play-offs, win or lose vs Portland St (bottom-feeder in Big Sky). Need them to be the auto-bid.
                              EIU could steal the auto-bid in the OVC if they beat Jacksonville St this week. Jax St needs to slam this door shut. EKU is the only other team beside Jax St, due to a FBS W, but they have a bad loss to OVC bottom half Tenn Tech. Tenn Tech was obliterated vs both UNI and ISU-B.

Down in the Southland, Sam Houston has positioned themselves for either auto-bid, or possibly #2. If they win out, and UCA is only challenging game left, they could be the auto-bid, even if SELA wins out. Pray for NW ST (LA) to beat SFA if both Sam & SELA win out. IMHO Sam has no good OOC wins, and a bad loss to D-II CSU-Pueblo (a very good D-II, but D-II nevertheless), and would not get an invite if not auto-bid (I was wrong about them last year tho too.).

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                I don't think it hurts having made the playoffs the last 2 years. In addition, the high preseason ranking when voters anticipated a healthy Sumner should mean something.

I must admit I definitely like the expansion to 24 teams. If it was still at 16 or even 20 this season would almost certainly be over with the USD game.
                                Probably doesn't hurt having a name like Zach Zenner on your roster either. If we win out, do the right thing and let ZZ end his career playing in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X