10/18/2014 VS UNI Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/18/2014 VS UNI Panthers

Just watched the game on dvr and saw we won. After reading this thread why does it sound like we lost? We won a game against a program we have never beat on the road since being D1 with a 2nd string QB and a make shift D line. I actually liked the play calling. Fans yell at stig for being to vanilla in play calling. There was enough time left going 3 and out wouldn't have done much good so we took a chance. Some of the plays didn't work out but some did. I have no problem with the calls. Just the execution wasn't as sharp as we would like we are 5-2 and 4-2 in D1 games and we are home next week. We have an avg 2nd string qb we just won a big game and fans are calling to fire coaches. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Playing all year with 2nd string qb. Who has made some bad throws but also shows a lot of composure and not afaid to take a hit. We have D line that is like a mash unit. We are 5-2 which if you said we would win at uni this year and play the whole season with out sumner who wouldn't take that at this point in the season. Uni had a lot of talent and players who want to win. Don't you think they remember how we snuck out a win last year. We fought till the end never gave up or hung our heads. The team played hard and gave it their all and fans are here saying to fire the coach. Smh I want to win as much as the next guy but this is sad to read from our fans. Makes it feel like I was reading on bisonville how our fans are actung after a good hard fought win where we never won before. Berry and sumner never won there. Maybe not the greatest uni team ever but still a hard team and good program we faced.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I also know if we play conservative and run and end up losing somehow, the same set of fans would be here crowing about how our play calling is so boring and predictable and Stig and Eidsness should be fired. They do it everytime our backs are against the wall, and it is complete bull.
      This, this and this. Also, for those complaining about going to a qb that had thrown 4 picks what had the running game done? We needed first downs and we moved the ball most of the game through the air. I got damn nervous during the game and also wondered what was going on but can't understand the Fire the coach drama.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

RESPECT MY FOOTBALL OPINION!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE A COMPUTER AND AN INTERNET. I AM AN EXPERT WHO KNOWS--FEAR MY COMPUTER AND MY INTERNET. I DISAGREE WITH COACH WITH 5-2 RECORD!!!!!!

FIRE Stig!!!

Comment

The second-guessing of the playcalling on this thread is silly. We should be celebrating a victory. I had no problem with the Jacks passing near the end of the game. The Jacks needed first downs, not three predictable runs and a punt. The interception and onside kick were flukey and unfortunate, but that's football. Great road win, Jacks.
          This space for lease.

Comment

This has to be one of the more bizarre strings - after a win on the road against a team that Jacks have not beaten in the Hermeticaluni-Dome since Jimmy Carter was president.

Yes, let's fire the coach who has taken a FCS program to two straight playoffs, won a game in both, and is coming off the first two consecutive 9-win seasons in the D-1 era, and while the team this year has one loss in the MVFC with the meat of the schedule to go and the starting QB, who has been out for six-plus games, potentially coming back. Fire him now.
            A year ago tomorrow the Jacks were 4-4, already had three MVFC losses, and maybe I am missing something but I don't remember knives out like they seem to be after this win. Last year the Jacks finished 9-5 and with a break or two out west might have made it deeper into the playoffs.

I also disagree wholeheartedly with the assertion that they may not be able to sustain more than one loss the rest of the way to be able to make the playoffs. That totally ignores the history of last year. C'mon people, we're better than this.

Comment

Those of you saying stig has no killer instinct, then complaining about the fact that we were passing when ahead by 14 when we should have ran a dive every play for the rest of the game make no sense. Passing is him going for the kill. Zenner ran 29 times for 80 yards. 29 times and your complaining that he should have been getting the ball more. The fact that Lujan had some picks doesn't mean the call was bad. I really respect stig more for sticking with the pass that late in the game and not just giving it to zenner three times and punting. Think of how much this might help us later in the year when we are in a game that is the same situation. Teams are going to have to respect the pass instead of loading the box on the run. We also have probably the best receiving duo in the valley in schnieder and wieneke. Keep passing and keep teams off the run. I think it was a great coaching job. Wins like this are ones that will bring teams closer together. The offense had some great drives and the defense had some great stops. Each picked each other up when they needed it. Never been more happy about a win and cant believe that there are a lot of people that aren't feeling the same way

Comment

Thank you, SDSUFans.com, for introducing me to the concept of the "Moral loss".

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  The second-guessing of the playcalling on this thread is silly. We should be celebrating a victory. I had no problem with the Jacks passing near the end of the game. The Jacks needed first downs, not three predictable runs and a punt. The interception and onside kick were flukey and unfortunate, but that's football. Great road win, Jacks.
                  Passing when they expect you to run is "vanilla," doncnha know? (Sarcasm icon injected here). Agree wholeheartedly with this post. Maybe the silver lining is that expectations are so high people expect to see 45-0 flawless blowouts on the road. This kid Lujan is 5-1 as a starter. Give him a break. And give the team a break for gritting this one out.

Comment

UNI almost beat a 5-2 Big 10 team on the road and Hawaii on the road and i rated ahead of the Jacks in the FCS poll and it's the softest UNI team in awhile? Where does this stuff come from?

Comment

We won. Yes, it was an ugly win, but it still shows in the W column, so I'm confused as to the meltdown that I'm reading. Fire a coach that's 5-2? Really? There are coaches (and fans) who would give their firstborn to have the talent this team has, yet here we are acting as if we lost by 20! It makes us look spoiled and ungrateful which I know can't be true, right?

Right?

Comment

TV's recap is already on the Argus website.

"Give them credit, man," UNI coach Mark Farley said. "They did a nice job. It's hard playing here. They were down; we had it under control. They were able to get it back. One-hundred percent (of credit) goes to that kind of coaching and playing."
                        'Course, Farley don't know nothing 'bout coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          Imo, the stats will make it appear Lujan had a way worse game than he actually did. (Well, maybe not, since the two int's were called back on UNI penalties.) But, at least two of the other picks were catch-able balls that bounced off the receivers hands.

Honestly, I'm still a little stunned we won, especially considering we were throwing the ball at the end...
                          I should clarify. I was stunned we won because of our recent (and not so recent) struggles at UNI, and going in there all beat up, and with our backup qb, I was braced for it to get ugly, honestly.

In hind sight, as others have mentioned, I do like that we didn't just run run run punt. The pick six to tie was a fluke deal (maybe thrown to hard for the proximity?) that perhaps should've been caught. Can't put that on the coaches.

As I rest my head, I'm very happy we pulled off a w today. This is exactly the type of game we have traditionally lost. We found a way to get it done.
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Was I a little surprised we were throwing up 28-14, yes. I agree with those who say if we had run it 3 times, punted, and then somehow lost the game (or ended in a similar fashion) those who are now complaining about passing would be complaining that we didn't throw. You can't have it both ways. 5-2 sounds pretty good to me. New practice facility, new stadium on the way, many good, young players- fire the Coach?? I don't think so

Comment

Originally posted by FeistyRedheadAZ View Post
                              We won. Yes, it was an ugly win, but it still shows in the W column, so I'm confused as to the meltdown that I'm reading. Fire a coach that's 5-2? Really? There are coaches (and fans) who would give their firstborn to have the talent this team has, yet here we are acting as if we lost by 20! It makes us look spoiled and ungrateful which I know can't be true, right?

Right?
                              Right. I said earlier a win is a win. Many are questioning the play calling after going up 28-14. I for one do in hindsight question it, but for us to want to fire Stig, they are nuts. Schnieder made some neat catches that got us in FG position and our FG guy got it done. Melvin saved the day with his INT. Why are we not celebrating that? Also the indoor practice made our guys more ready to play and they played. End of story. Lets move on.

Comment

We shouldn't have been throwing there. I don't know what else to say. I think that's about 15 steps away from being a fire-able offense (heh), but throwing in the situation we threw in was beyond stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X