10/18/2014 VS UNI Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/18/2014 VS UNI Panthers

All I can say is WOW made it harder than it should have been. The softess UNI team in years and we try to give it to them.

Comment

Plenty to bitch about on the coaching front, so get over yourselves. Maybe if were could play a complete game and, God forbid, actually have a plan and be ready to execute it starting at the opening kickoff instead of looking inept for half the game, I'd grant you something. But until that happens, the griping is legit.

Winning covers up a lot.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        And the Stig haters slink back into their holes until we have 1 or 2 plays they don't like when the game hangs in the balance.
        What do you mean when the game hung in the balance? They were up 28-14 with about 9 minutes to go. Had the ball.....and then start passing? When your QB has done everything all game to try and hand the other team the ball? You can look back through my history and I'm pretty sure you wont find me a "Stig Hater" until now. I've defended his coaching for years.
        How is your kick return team not ready for an onside kick? You know why the kick team wasn't ready? Because Stig's personal philosophy is if he was in that situation and onside kick is "communist" football. He has no killer instinct, and everybody knows it, and the team in turn reflects it. So in his mind football is a gentleman's game of some sort. I stand by my earlier statement, fire Stig and Eidsness. They are lucky Schneider overcame their coaching abilities and made the play he did.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
          What do you mean when the game hung in the balance? They were up 28-14 with about 9 minutes to go. Had the ball.....and then start passing? When your QB has done everything all game to try and hand the other team the ball? You can look back through my history and I'm pretty sure you wont find me a "Stig Hater" until now. I've defended his coaching for years.
          How is your kick return team not ready for an onside kick? You know why the kick team wasn't ready? Because Stig's personal philosophy is if he was in that situation and onside kick is "communist" football. He has no killer instinct, and everybody knows it, and the team in turn reflects it. So in his mind football is a gentleman's game of some sort. I stand by my earlier statement, fire Stig and Eidsness. They are lucky Schneider overcame their coaching abilities and made the play he did.
          How coincidental!!! Some one on the Any Given Saturday message board was calling for the firing of Coach Farley and OC. I think they did something right to hang on for a win. Am I out of line in thinking the players make the plays, and the coaches are there to help them make the plays? I suppose they could have had Zenner grind it out, but that was hindsight. Seems like UNI gave up a bunch of yards on pass plays. So to stick the dagger in UNI's heart you would got to the passing game, rather than try run plays.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 10-18-2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

What happened to all of those "must win" games early in the season? I can assure everyone that we are still very much alive for a playoff bid and even a conference title after losing the "must win" ISUR game. Can we stop with the "must win" every week?
            "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
              What happened to all of those "must win" games early in the season? I can assure everyone that we are still very much alive for a playoff bid and even a conference title after losing the "must win" ISUR game. Can we stop with the "must win" every week?
              Rightfully or not, it'll be a "must win" game until we are assured a playoff spot, just my guess. Human nature?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                In my opinion State isn't absolutely in the playoffs at 8 wins. I think they can only lose 1 more game to MAKE SURE they're in the playoffs.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I agree. We are probably allowed one more loss. Today was a huge win for that reason.

What a defensive performance. The Schneider catch was also amazing. I'd also like to recognize the UNI defensive line for jumping offsides on those two interceptions. Had they not, we'd be talking about a a brutal 5-interception day instead of our playoff chances.

I'm with so many others regarding the onside kick and decision to throw late in the game. Crazy stuff.

Comment

Whats wrong with you people. Way too positive. We need to win out or we dont make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      In my opinion State isn't absolutely in the playoffs at 8 wins. I think they can only lose 1 more game to MAKE SURE they're in the playoffs.
                      If the Jacks win their 3 home games , that gets them to at least 5-3 in the conference and I think that gets them in the playoffs. If you look at the remaining schedules , NDSU and ISU-Red seem to be the only teams likely to have 3 or fewer conference losses. The Youngstown game is huge - they still also have to play the Bison and Redbirds on the road after playing in Brookings.

Comment

Imo, the stats will make it appear Lujan had a way worse game than he actually did. (Well, maybe not, since the two int's were called back on UNI penalties.) But, at least two of the other picks were catch-able balls that bounced off the receivers hands.

Honestly, I'm still a little stunned we won, especially considering we were throwing the ball at the end...
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I'm with catrabbit. We need more aggressive play calling. And I don't think firing a coach mid season is the answer. But we cannot continue the way we are going, and expect to improve.

Changes need to be made. Just like with tob. The current staff could make those changes, but don't bet your house on it.

If this were an upper echelon team they would have been ran out of town already imo. I think they are excellent ppl for the record.

But I mean how about we get some idea of just what kind of nonsensical game planing was throwing the ball.@ the end of the game? If you honestly think (thought) that was a high football iq, then you are part of the problem, not the solution.

So do I think stig should be fired? Not exactly, but come on we all can see it. I think there needs to be pressure there. Whatever pressure it was it took to keep from playing guys that have "earned it" vs. The best talent on the team. (If you think that this never happened it's best you stick your fingers in your ears humm and act like this post never happened just like that never happened)

I'm probably wrong, but it seems Zenner, Moss, and Sumner all should have seen the field before they did.

But ok I'm an idiot, or just frustrated, (or both) because things that seem to make sense (to me)just go untried. Just keep doing the same thing over and over with or without success.

I guess I'm fanatical because I want and expect more. And quite honestly I'm not sure we have the answer for that on the sidelines currently. So far talent has gotten us past that, which they totally should get credit for.

Guess we are all lucky I'm not the coach!!!

But seriously how can you just say it's OK we got the win there's no issue to be seen. Not now, not historically.

I guess I just need to sit back relax, shut up and be happy that I get a chance to be critical. We can't win every game after all. Or 31 in a row for that matter.

Let's just shore things up. I'll be happy. I'm happy the team got the win. But I do so frequently feel we made the win so hard it was like a loss.

Now for a 2 day personal ban on posting on this subject for all the negativity early on when I was more fired up. Need to go cool off.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            I agree. We are probably allowed one more loss. Today was a huge win for that reason.

What a defensive performance. The Schneider catch was also amazing. I'd also like to recognize the UNI defensive line for jumping offsides on those two interceptions. Had they not, we'd be talking about a a brutal 5-interception day instead of our playoff chances.

I'm with so many others regarding the onside kick and decision to throw late in the game. Crazy stuff.
                            Typically if a quarterback knows there is an offside penalty they are more aggressive with the pass knowing the ball will not change sides.

Comment

I also don't agree with airing the ball out at the end of the game. The common sense thing to me (a fan, with only HS playing experience) is to run the ball in that situation. However, what if we had a bad exchange or Zenner fumbled like he did a couple weeks ago. We'll never know the what ifs! What we do know is that the defense played well enough to win. We will get Sumner back in a cople of weeks and will be better. But if we don't make the playoffs or a deep run at a championship this year, I am so excited for the future of SDSU football. We have so many outstanding Sophomore, redshirt freshmen, and true freshmen.

The same coaches that you want to be fired are the same ones who have recruited these talented players and turned us in to a program that expects to make the playoffs every year. Stig does need to adjust some elements of his coaching philosophy, but Sell will never ever ever fire Stig so don't hold your breath. He will be allowed to leave when he is ready.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Why start your argument at 28-14? Why not start when we were down 14-7? Or 0-0? Or from the start of the season? Or when we started in the Valley? Or when Stig started at SDSU? Because all the b!tching boils down to a play here or there and bison envy.

Last I checked, college coaches were judged on wins and losses, not their personal philosophy. We won today, and we've won enough to be in the playoffs 3 times in the last 6 seasons. Personally, I don't care if Stigs personal philosophy is based on the lunar calendar. SDSU wins a lot of football games. As a matter of fact, we've won more football games than every team in the Valley that doesn't wear green.

Games go back and forth all the time, and UNI came out wanting to win today too. I don't understand or like the play calling today. But there are two undeniable upsides: we won in spite of it, and other Valley coaches were given notice that we aren't afraid to throw at any point in the game, even with a backup quarterback that has been interception prone.

I also know if we play conservative and run and end up losing somehow, the same set of fans would be here crowing about how our play calling is so boring and predictable and Stig and Eidsness should be fired. They do it everytime our backs are against the wall, and it is complete bull.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X