Hobo Day 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo Day 2014

I'll note that injuries can and have been huge parts in turn-around seasons. Cases in point - UNI last year, ISU(B), last year. UNI was looking like the prime challenger to NDSU not just for the MVFC crown but for the FCS title. 4-0, wins over IA ST., McNeese (a play-off team?) pounded. 3 quarters of the NDSU game in Fargo. Then 2 or 3 key injuries. UNI goes 0-5 through the next 5 (includes close loss at NDSU). Miss the play-offs. ISU(B) has essentially the same team that was 1-10 last season, but the injured last season are back. They're 5-3, and looking to have either the 2nd or 3rd best MVFC play-off chances. The Sycs are the most likely of any 4-4 MVFC record team to make play-offs as they beat an FBS and Liberty (another in the bubble discussion). Those are both examples of injury impacts.

Unfortunately, SDSU is getting the injury bug to key players, and they are two losses away from NO CHANCE at play-offs. Prior to the start of the season, I had the YSU and IL St games as likely W's, and Mizzou, NDSU, UNI as likely losses. Jacks surprised in Cedar Falls. If a miracle occurs, and Jacks win in Fargo, then Jacks will be in play-offs, barring two losses in last three.

Comment

Gregor was supposed to be the stalwart of the o-line, and he is just as much if not more of a liability than any one else on the line. The only person on the o-line that has played close too or exceeded expectations is the center Ohnasorge. He has received lineman of the week honors something like 6 or 7 times this year. Gregor has not received one. That is not the senior leadership we need from him. His play has dropped off from previous years, so of course one will speculate that flynns coaching might have something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
        Gregor was supposed to be the stalwart of the o-line, and he is just as much if not more of a liability than any one else on the line. The only person on the o-line that has played close too or exceeded expectations is the center Ohnasorge. He has received lineman of the week honors something like 6 or 7 times this year. Gregor has not received one. That is not the senior leadership we need from him. His play has dropped off from previous years, so of course one will speculate that flynns coaching might have something to do with it.
        What position was Gregor last before and is he the same position this year or did he get shuffled in the line this year? I dont recall where he usually played in his career so far.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          What position was Gregor last before and is he the same position this year or did he get shuffled in the line this year? I dont recall where he usually played in his career so far.
          He played RT last year too.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

He has been battling an injury(s) the whole year. I suspect he still isn't 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              He has been battling an injury(s) the whole year. I suspect he still isn't 100%.
              8 games into the year the number of every down players that are truly 100% is pretty low. If he is really injured I commend him for gutting it out. Was just really expecting a lot more out of him this year. Its just frustrating that we really don't have anyone on the line that we can really count on to run behind when we need a tough yard. I think this also has something to do with our play calling on short yardage plays. Anyone else notice that lately all of the 3rd or 4th and 1 plays zenner has been taking a jab step, then going the direction of the play. Basically a counter play. Not great when we have to try and fool the defense to get a yard. The last couple years zenner would just take a direct snap in those situations and would rarely get stopped.

Comment

8 games into the year the number of every down players that are truly 100% is pretty low. If he is really injured I commend him for gutting it out. Was just really expecting a lot more out of him this year. Its just frustrating that we really don't have anyone on the line that we can really count on to run behind when we need a tough yard. I think this also has something to do with our play calling on short yardage plays. Anyone else notice that lately all of the 3rd or 4th and 1 plays zenner has been taking a jab step, then going the direction of the play. Basically a counter play. Not great when we have to try and fool the defense to get a yard. The last couple years zenner would just take a direct snap in those situations and would rarely get stopped.
                Agree 100% with the concern about line play on both sides of the ball. I really am not able to single anyone out or offer a solution I just know what I see on the field. The Jacks are consistently getting beaten off the ball on the LOS on both sides. Excuses aside, this team is struggling to run the ball and can't consistently stop anyone else's offense. Someone is to blame.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm finding it interesting that most of the conversation in this thread is focused on failures of the offense. That unit scored 27 points, didn't commit a turnover, and helped establish an almost 2:1 TOP advantage. The unit that needs to improve immediately is on the other side of the ball.

Honest question - How many defensive lineman have we had in the past 5 years that were actually recruited to play D-Line? I believe Langer and Sherlock both were recruited at LB. Our lack of depth on that unit is apparent, and I am concerned with how few impact upperclassman we have at that position.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                    I'm finding it interesting that most of the conversation in this thread is focused on failures of the offense. That unit scored 27 points, didn't commit a turnover, and helped establish an almost 2:1 TOP advantage. The unit that needs to improve immediately is on the other side of the ball.

Honest question - How many defensive lineman have we had in the past 5 years that were actually recruited to play D-Line? I believe Langer and Sherlock both were recruited at LB. Our lack of depth on that unit is apparent, and I am concerned with how few impact upperclassman we have at that position.
                    Fair point, giving up that TD before half was really seemed to take the air our of the proverbial sail for us. D didnt give up a score till late in the 4 but we were already behind the 8 ball with an offense who struggled in the 2nd half. Probably the talk is on the line since we had the ball just under 2 minutes to go to get to FG range and they struggled mightly. Your right though that our D line wasnt able to get any pressure and made their freshman look like the best QB in the league. He had all day and their Oline took it too us. Wish the effort the line gave in the second half of the cal poly and MSU game shows up again. They looked bad the first half of those games, but turned it on in the second half and looked like a different line. Same for the most part the week before at UNI.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Finally a fan that has it right. THe D needs to keep battling, blitz and tackle. Please recruit more true D linemen for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                        Finally a fan that has it right. THe D needs to keep battling, blitz and tackle. Please recruit more true D linemen for the future.
                        They sure try to. Good Defensive linemen are the second hardest position to find behind Quarterbacks with CB's being third.

The issue is the good D linemen, that can make school grades, get scooped up by BCS schools and they are lacking for D - linemen themselves. NFL teams can't find D linemen either.

Those good D linemen are almost as crazy as good Linebackers. They'll keep playing with dislocated fingers after getting them popped back in on the sideline. At least the O linemen can wear gloves to keep their fingers in place. Doesn't help their thumbs much though. The D - linemen will play with broken hands, ribs, toes, and so on that would kill baseball and basketball players.

I think the Jacks try to develop them by having LB's put on weight and play them at Defensive End. With the new offenses you need so much speed in the D line. I'm sure the Jacks would gladly recruit any D linemen they can find. The best one that I remember, Danny Batton, came via the juco route.

Totally agree that the loss isn't only on the O-line. It is a team game.

Comment

I have a good feeling you will see much better play out of our defense this week. If you are a tactician, watch closely. I think we'll see some of the old SDSU defense.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Agreed! We lost the three big boys from Nebraska that we recruited to be on the D-line just two years ago. Also, wouldn't Dijon Starr out of the cities be a Sr now? At the time I think he was one of our highest rated recruits ever. It would be nice to have all of those big guys on the line. That is for sure.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Danny Batten did not go to a JUCO he came to STATE right outta high school in Arizona. DLine is the position where they have the think the least, especially interior dlineman. Why can't we just find some big farm kid in SD that can stay low and plug up the middle. All you have to do is beat the guy across from you and hit whoever has the ball. There's gotta be 1 high school kid in this state that can stop the run.

I agree that we recruit LB's to play DL. Granted they are quick and possibly more athletic, but learning DL is tough and it takes a tough kid to play it. I always thought they should put Shoff on Dline. Nobody would block that dude.

Comment

Originally posted by centraljack90 View Post
                                Danny Batten did not go to a JUCO he came to STATE right outta high school in Arizona. DLine is the position where they have the think the least, especially interior dlineman. Why can't we just find some big farm kid in SD that can stay low and plug up the middle. All you have to do is beat the guy across from you and hit whoever has the ball. There's gotta be 1 high school kid in this state that can stop the run.

I agree that we recruit LB's to play DL. Granted they are quick and possibly more athletic, but learning DL is tough and it takes a tough kid to play it. I always thought they should put Shoff on Dline. Nobody would block that dude.
                                COOL! I thought Danny was juco. Glad to hear that I was wrong. Awesome that he came right out of High School. Even better story. Was he a four year starter? Gotta luv that AZ connection.

You'd think with SW and Western MN you'd find a bid DT. Remember Stewart? I always thought he was underrated.

Remember those bid O-linemen can't tackle and get hurt when they try to. In fact during interceptions they are told to RUN and keep their head on a swivel for a blind side block. The O-linemen don't have the speed, otherwise they would be playing Defensive tackle. O-linemen have the brains and the D-linemen have the speed and insanity.

Comment

Working...
                                X