Hobo Day 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo Day 2014

The O-line was truly disappointing on Saturday. Anyone who watched them closely knows they did not play well and was a big reason for the defeat. I guess the injury to Schoff and graduation has taken its toll. Just excuses, but they did not play good enough to win. It would be nice to have Austin back, I think he could have overcame the O-line deficiencies to beat YSU. But all will have to step up to beat the Bison. How do you win at UNI and then lose at home to YSU? The Jacks had owned YSU for awhile now. Ouch. The Jacks have done pretty good this year with a back up QB. Take away the starting QB's in the conference and where do those teams finish? At least the forum isn't calling to fire people like they were last week against UNI after a W...

As for the D-line - what is going on? Are they too small and wore down as the season goes on? Just a bad day? What is happening? Wish I knew.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
      The O-line was truly disappointing on Saturday. Anyone who watched them closely knows they did not play well and was a big reason for the defeat. I guess the injury to Schoff and graduation has taken its toll. Just excuses, but they did not play good enough to win. It would be nice to have Austin back, I think he could have overcame the O-line deficiencies to beat YSU. But all will have to step up to beat the Bison. How do you win at UNI and then lose at home to YSU? The Jacks had owned YSU for awhile now. Ouch. The Jacks have done pretty good this year with a back up QB. Take away the starting QB's in the conference and where do those teams finish? At least the forum isn't calling to fire people like they were last week against UNI after a W...

As for the D-line - what is going on? Are they too small and wore down as the season goes on? Just a bad day? What is happening? Wish I knew.
      Hard to figure out, the D line has played some halves as really aggressive and looks quick, while in the same game the other half is slow and sluggish and slow to react. Hard to figure out for sure. Coaches make it seem like not a lot of adjustments are being made, but something isnt apparently clicking for a full game.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Yes the d-line is small. And they don't really use their quickness it seems, they engage themselves with the o-line and then try and look for where the ball is going and then try and shed the block. Doesn't really work when your outweighed by 25+ pounds across the board in most games. The one guy we have that is supposed to be the horse, Langer, has really not lived up to his pre-season expectations at all. He seems really slow off the ball and often times just gets washed down the line leaving big cutback lanes. I have been actually impressed with Soulek and Gottleib, but they are also younger, smaller guys that just simply wear down it seems. I know Stig is not a fan of blitzing, but what we have been doing is obviously not working

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
          Yes the d-line is small. And they don't really use their quickness it seems, they engage themselves with the o-line and then try and look for where the ball is going and then try and shed the block. Doesn't really work when your outweighed by 25+ pounds across the board in most games. The one guy we have that is supposed to be the horse, Langer, has really not lived up to his pre-season expectations at all. He seems really slow off the ball and often times just gets washed down the line leaving big cutback lanes. I have been actually impressed with Soulek and Gottleib, but they are also younger, smaller guys that just simply wear down it seems. I know Stig is not a fan of blitzing, but what we have been doing is obviously not working
          seemed we tried a few blitz during the game but got picked up, didnt even get close to making an impact. But I agree past years felt we never blitz it seemed so would be nice to try to get some extra pressure on occasion.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Look at the offensive numbers from the YSU game and they are actually very good and should win the game with these stats. Yes, we need TDs vs FGs in the first quarter and better red zone calls would help. ZZ has how many rushing yards this year? How about running outside instead of up the middle. The Oline can improve but are playing good compared to the Dline. Sacks are the results of many things, not just the Oline blocking. TEs are a big part of this game and haven't shoed up many games to chip block the ends or catch a pass.

Comment

Look at the MVC defensive numbers for the Jacks, they are poor and near the bottom. The offensive numbers are in the middle of the pack. Time of possession for the offense is outstanding this year so the defense should be rested.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                How about running outside instead of up the middle. .
                Could not agree more. Rep pts.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                  Could not agree more. Rep pts.
                  Just to take the other side of it here but if we can't run up the middle and that's what we are suppose to be good at why would we be able to run outside?

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Just to take the other side of it here but if we can't run up the middle and that's what we are suppose to be good at why would we be able to run outside?
                    Umm, fast guys, lead blocking, not running into a pile of man. may even open the middle a bit. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      Umm, fast guys, lead blocking, not running into a pile of man. may even open the middle a bit. Just my thoughts.
                      Still have to seal the end and find someone to block. Can't just expect zz to run around the end if linebacks corners and safteys are going to cut him off at the pass. But I agree try something else keep the D honest. Unless they are worse then running up the middle in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Still have to seal the end and find someone to block. Can't just expect zz to run around the end if linebacks corners and safteys are going to cut him off at the pass. But I agree try something else keep the D honest. Unless they are worse then running up the middle in practice.
                        Goon is right. Someone has to block. It is not happening.

Trevor G., the O- lines leader, had a terrible game Saturday. He seems to be regressing. The O-lineman are not improving. The pass blocking is absolutely terrible. The Jacks went from having one of the best pass blocking lines to one of the worse as per sacks given up.

The O-line has not improved under John Flynn. We know Stig is not going anywhere. - Is Flynn?

I see Luke Meadows is now at Southern Miss. Not saying bring him back, but you sometimes miss someone when they are gone. I'd think Eidness is not going anywhere either.

Comment

The QB depth this year is very average and it shows. Luan is doing the best he can with his physical ability. He needs a year of strength and conditioning. Opposing defenses are putting eleven guys within five yards of the line of scrimmage. This is a big reason we cannot run, especially up the middle. I believe Luan has a basic play package for each game and doesn't make many audible calls during the game meaning running with little gains. The TE play would definitely help if they play just good instead of a no show most games. Luan cannot throw a deep ball without a high wobbly pass. This might get better next year if he works hard on his strength. The qb is looking at one receiver then panics when he cannot throw there. Sumner would be much better reading defenses and going to a second or third option.

Comment

I will say the Oline is struggling, we have a freshman at center, and a junior guard in his first full season starting. Also not to mention a Sophomore starting at Left tackle. Nick Purcell is at guard which is not his best position (center is).

Why all the hate On Trevor Gregor? I'd like to see you guys do what he does, do you not think he's trying? He is a good offensive lineman. I do think the QB needs to get the ball out quicker and when the pocket collapses either throw it away or take off and run.

The next point about the O-line improving under Flynn you have got to be crazy. Here are some stats to back up my point even though I could make my point without stats.

2011 SDSU rushed for 1,260 total yards as a team. TOTAL yards.
                            2012 Zenner rushed for 2,044 yards and 2,604 as a team
                            2013 Zenner rushed for 2,015 yards and 2,795 as a team.

Flynn came to SDSU in the Spring of 2012. He revamped the blocking scheme and I do give a lot of the credit to him and how he motivated the lineman. I would put more on the recruiting lately to the lack of production from the offensive line. Flynn is one of the better Oline coaches out there.

This year is missing some lineman like SDSU has had in the years past. Witzman, McKnight, Castle, (healthy parker) and Kage. When Parker Fick and Kage were healthy they had one of the more toughest and most efficient offensive lines in the 2012 season. Don't but blam on Flynn, he's doing his job!

Comment

CentralJack makes a strong case for the job Flynn and the o-line are doing, overall. In addition to graduation, injuries have taken a big toll this year. Mike Shoff has been out all year, and Andrew Mueller has been playing part time, despite a very serious knee injury. We fans were worried about 0-line experience and depth coming into the season, and our fears have played out. The good news is that there seems to be some talented young guys coming up for the future.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

The early years with Flynn were with Meadows guys.

Ok - say your right on the run blocking, which is not working NOW. Look at how much the pass blocking has gone down hill under Flynn. I don't see you referencing sack numbers. Perhaps Flynn can't coach pass blocking. He isn't the technician Meadows was. Ask the players.

No hate on Trevor Gregor. He is a great guy and person. Just pointing out facts. He was highly rated coming into the year. He is the O - line leader. He is not playing better this year. He should not have illegal procedure in a critical junction at home followed by a bad holding call. Why has his football play gone south? Some people are saying he had a large part in the loss Saturday.

Why is Purcell playing guard and not center? Where is the guard development? If you remember, Schoff beat out Kage Senior year. Schoff being hurt hurts as was mentioned. That is probably why Purcell is not playing center.

The old Meadows lines had a lot of depth. That is lacking now.

Meadows recruited a lot of his guys. Part of Flynn's job is recruiting. Why hasn't Flynn recruited better offensive linemen?

Stig isn't going anywhere. He won't put up with the level of play on the Offensive line. Someone has to be accountable. So thus the my speculation. Just asking the question and do NOT have any information, rumors, or heard anything saying he is in trouble. Just MY forum guess.

The O-line play is just part of the problem. A large part, but not all of the blame is on them.

Maybe the strength and conditioning needs to be looked at in lieu of all of the injuries this year. Or maybe it is all bad luck.
                                Last edited by shot_5533; 10-29-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X