Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/11/14 VS. Missouri State Bears

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I just want to point out that neither you, nor I, nor anyone posting on this board really understands what is actually going on. Do you have anything positive to say about a team that is 4-2?
    Talked with a couple of football parents this week. Without prompting both of them expressed some concerns about coaching, specifically making adjustments on both sides of the ball. I'm not saying they really know what's going on but they share many of the same concerns expressed here.

Fans have different approaches. Some like their role to be that have a cheerleader, support the team, show up when you can or its convenient and leave the rest alone. Others like to be more analytical, play an active role in the program, schedule parts of their life around the sport. Others are somewhere in between.

This forum tends to attract the more analytical and involved fan so you get a lot of criticism, stronger opinions and often emotional outbursts. Doesn't mean they aren't passionate fans just approach it differently than others. A lot of athlete's parents are the same way. When your the coach you sure hope for fans and parents that cheer and cheer only. World would certainly be a different place if that were the case. Better place? Maybe.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Talked with a couple of football parents this week. Without prompting both of them expressed some concerns about coaching, specifically making adjustments on both sides of the ball. I'm not saying they really know what's going on but they share many of the same concerns expressed here.

Fans have different approaches. Some like their role to be that have a cheerleader, support the team, show up when you can or its convenient and leave the rest alone. Others like to be more analytical, play an active role in the program, schedule parts of their life around the sport. Others are somewhere in between.

This forum tends to attract the more analytical and involved fan so you get a lot of criticism, stronger opinions and often emotional outbursts. Doesn't mean they aren't passionate fans just approach it differently than others. A lot of athlete's parents are the same way. When your the coach you sure hope for fans and parents that cheer and cheer only. World would certainly be a different place if that were the case. Better place? Maybe.
      I can't disagree. Although in my experience, player parents are usually the last in line when it comes to having logical/accurate opinions on X's and O's...

Its just interesting/frustrating when people start melting down over a 28-17 halftime score. Is it ideal? Nope. Is it an abnormal football halftime score? Nope.

You're right, fans can melt down over an 11 point halftime deficit (I've been known to melt down myself from time to time). And I can call them out on it too.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Nope. It took 6 quarters to make a defensive adjustment. Stig was quoted at halftime of the ISU game that they werent going to make any adjustment.....wtf? Its no secret our coaching staff is about as vanilla as you can get and they seem to struggle with in-game adjustments.

We are so fortunate to have pulled out the MSU game. We lose that our season is likely over.

In order for this team to reach expectations the coaching staff must do better.
        Why is no one talking about the QB move that blew up? That was not a good coaching move.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
          Why is no one talking about the QB move that blew up? That was not a good coaching move.
          How do you figure it wasn't a good coaching move? They did it because he was trying to do things too fast and they wanted him to settle down. He played lights out the rest of the game after that.

Comment

I actually think it was a great coaching move. Bench him to get him to calm down and get his focus back on the task at hand.

There I said something good about our team

Comment

As I mentioned earlier, Tyler asked Stig about this move in the post-game show. Stig's reply was along the lines of "we're getting a little intimate here aren't we?" ala he really didn't want to answer the question.

Stig's answer was that "they didn't get what they wanted 3 times" in the first half. Using my armchair coaching philosophy, I'm guessing either Lujan misinterpreted the sideline signals and called the wrong play or he changed the play at the line of scrimmage when it was not warranted, or a mix of both.

I will fully admit that I was furious with the move at the time as the pick Finnes threw gave MSU a short field and ultimately 7 points. After hearing Stig's comments, I'm perfectly OK with sitting Lujan for a series to get him calmed down.

Based on how Lujan performed subsequent to that, I'd say it was a pretty good move.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                As I mentioned earlier, Tyler asked Stig about this move in the post-game show. Stig's reply was along the lines of "we're getting a little intimate here aren't we?" ala he really didn't want to answer the question.

Stig's answer was that "they didn't get what they wanted 3 times" in the first half. Using my armchair coaching philosophy, I'm guessing either Lujan misinterpreted the sideline signals and called the wrong play or he changed the play at the line of scrimmage when it was not warranted, or a mix of both.

I will fully admit that I was furious with the move at the time as the pick Finnes threw gave MSU a short field and ultimately 7 points. After hearing Stig's comments, I'm perfectly OK with sitting Lujan for a series to get him calmed down.

Based on how Lujan performed subsequent to that, I'd say it was a pretty good move.
                Thanks for the explanations.

I agree with TK22867, I was mad at the move at the time. I still don't know if I agree with it. Couldn't they have talked to Lujan on the sidelines and settled him down? Maybe he would have picked it up without pulling him? I hate to have given up that pick with Finnes. Also I appreciate the explanation about changing the play calls. But can't they talk to him on the sidelines about that too?

I guess it worked because they won the game.

Anyway, good discussion.

Comment

Sometimes getting benched, even for 3 plays or a for series is a wake up call for any player no matter how experienced or not the player is. They probably hoped Lujan would be able to watch a drive from the sidelines to see from a different perspective with a coach in his ear of what is taking place. I have heard this reasoning on TV broadcasts on college and NFL games. Backfired for a couple plays but in the end it looked like it worked. We won the game, that is all that matters to me!

Comment

I'm not a big Nick Saban fan but his rant at his press conference yesterday could apply to every fan base (and media) of every successful program in the country.... http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/nick...ess-conference

Comment

I heard Stig talk about the QB change in a radio interview. If I recall correctly, he said the switch was prompted by Lujan changing a play at the line of scrimmage without also changing the blocking scheme, which led a costly INT. The coaches wanted to settle Lujan down. Other than the Finnes INT, which also was costly, you can't really argue with the results. Lujan played well after going back in. Stig singled him out in the post-game celebration in the locker room celebration. (See video posted by BG.)
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                        I'm not a big Nick Saban fan but his rant at his press conference yesterday could apply to every fan base (and media) of every successful program in the country.... http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/nick...ess-conference
                        Thank you Nick Saban

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

There is a website out there that shows what can happen when people use analytics without training or knowledge. One graph shows an increase in pirate activity caused global warning.

We all think we can coach the game and know everything that goes on from a distance. I don't mind people expressing their opinion and I'm not going to knock them for it. I do struggle with people coming on talking about stupid coaching moves after the fact without any understanding of what went into that decision, they only know the result. It would be wonderful to know the outcome of your decision before you make it. None of us have that luxury. Stig mentioned in the postgame interview that is linked on Terry Vandrovec's twitter account that they had some check offs installed for Zach and he missed a few things in a row and so they wanted to get him to the sideline to settle him down. Too bad Finnes threw a pick but the end result was good.

Go back and find a 10 year run in SDSU's history that has been as good as this last 10 years. Shouldn't that earn the coaching staff at least a little break? Unfortunately I know the answer to that question.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            Thank you Nick Saban

I have mixed feelings about it. First people should be happy they won. But I understand fans could be upset by either how they won or how they played in the win. Because I doubt saban sent to the team and only had good things to tell them. He might have also pointed out so mistakes or bad plays they made etc. Like Nagy he is happy when they win but he also points out he is more bothered by the things they did wrong and what they can work on. So saban makes some big money to win big games and high expectations so I doubt think its out of line for fans to expect a game be played maybe at a higher level.

Now I don't know what they were complaining about exactly or what they said I didn't read any of it just the article and sabans quote. So if saban which I would assume is going to expect a better effort and play then to win by one point I I doubt he would be happy settling for 1 point wins with the money he makes in that situation so why can't fans expect more too. Many which probably pay a lot of money for watching those games and donations to the school which is maybe helping to pay his salary.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I don't know if anyone else mentioned but I would like to say sitgs 2 pt play was actually used in a way that made sense. Well at least the card said to go for 2 at the right time. Good exectuion on the play. And frankly that's what comes down to this team. Hopefully the coaches are talking the matra of doing things right which includes executing the play and their job. You don't have to make the perfect play just make the right play. What ever speech stig gave the D at half time of the poly game and msu game hope he does that to start the game at uni. That defense sure looked faster and more agressive in the 2nd half of both of those games. I know we are thin on D line but the effort surely was their in the 2nd half for both games.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Just for my own knowledge, nothing else, don't the blocking assignments change automatically with a play call change? I would think the blockers adjust their blocking assignments to the play called. Is that the QB's fault if they don't? Some type of communication problem? Maybe they just didn't want him to change calls period, I don't know. Can anyone answer?
                                Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-15-2014, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X