• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mmiller_34
    replied
    Re: 10/4/14 vs. Illinois State RedBirds

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Our main rival has won the last 3 national titles and 29 games in a row. Our fans make excuses for a 45-10 loss and berate others for having expectations and being upset.

SDSU isn't NDSU in FB and the reasons are multiple. Unfortunately I think part of the problem is a passive fan base.

Jackrabbit fans not only find it perfectly acceptable to lose games, they accept getting blown out. I'd like to see that change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YES. This 100%.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Our main rival has won the last 3 national titles and 29 games in a row. Our fans make excuses for a 45-10 loss and berate others for having expectations and being upset.

SDSU isn't NDSU in FB and the reasons are multiple. Unfortunately I think part of the problem is a passive fan base.

Jackrabbit fans not only find it perfectly acceptable to lose games, they accept getting blown out. I'd like to see that change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
    Back on point now -

Turnovers lost the game. Very few teams can come back from the fumble and the fumbled snap on the road. Check the percentages. The long interception was a lack of arm strength and should have been a long TD.

Very, very few teams come back from a 14-0 deficit due to turnovers on the road. I don't think you can be down to any team 14 - 0 due to turnovers, and win on the road in this conference.

Points are the most important statistic. Points off turnover differential is the second.

Did any expect the Jacks to go undefeated on the road? Come back next week and get the record even to 1-1 and everything looks a whole lot better from there. Give Illinois State credit, they are a good team. The Jacks have lost three straight to them.
    Nothing like being redundant.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Settle down Nidaros... please.

Notice the word guess in front of Adam V donating his fair share. I do know for a fact he supports the team and has met with them when they played at Indiana State.

I also know for fact that the Athletes are asked to contribute immediately after graduation. I know several that have contributed and they aren't making big $$$ yet. Or still have school costs, even with scholarships, to pay for. The Golf outing alone is not cheap for them. The Scholarships are nice but don't cover everything.

I'd like to see a study done by the Foundation as to the %'s contributed. I do know for a fact, as I know Athletes and non Athletes, that the Athletes are pressured more to contribute, upon graduation, than the average student body . I'm talking 20 to 30 year olds, and I apologize for not making myself clear.

I also appreciate the amount of time and $$$ you personally contribute as a member of the Difference Maker Club and you are commended by me. The SDSU fund raising has been very good and keeps getting better due to people like you.

I'm also surprised that you don't agree with The game has changed so much since I played in High School. We used to get to cross body block and leave our feet back in the day...
    Settle down my A**, when someone makes ridiculous remarks like you have why should I not respond? Do you take me to be some kind of potted plant?

Leave a comment:

• shot_5533
    replied

Back on point now -

Turnovers lost the game. Very few teams can come back from the fumble and the fumbled snap on the road. Check the percentages. The long interception was a lack of arm strength and should have been a long TD.

Very, very few teams come back from a 14-0 deficit due to turnovers on the road. I don't think you can be down to any team 14 - 0 due to turnovers, and win on the road in this conference.

Points are the most important statistic. Points off turnover differential is the second.

Did any expect the Jacks to go undefeated on the road? Come back next week and get the record even to 1-1 and everything looks a whole lot better from there. Give Illinois State credit, they are a good team. The Jacks have lost three straight to them.

Leave a comment:

• shot_5533
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    [/B]
    I really question some of your comments such as Adam V writing a big check. If he had,] it would have been big news. I have no idea what Adam V has contributed and neither do you. Possibly he is one of the anonymous names listed in the game program. Also I know some former athletes who have not given a plug nickel and some have been very generous. To make such a broad statement that they give more than those non-athletes is outrageous. In fact as a non-athlete, I am offended by that remark. Do you work at the Foundation? If so they hired the wrong guy.
    Otherwise the comment in bold I agree with.
    Settle down Nidaros... please.

Notice the word guess in front of Adam V donating his fair share. I do know for a fact he supports the team and has met with them when they played at Indiana State.

I also know for fact that the Athletes are asked to contribute immediately after graduation. I know several that have contributed and they aren't making big $$$ yet. Or still have school costs, even with scholarships, to pay for. The Golf outing alone is not cheap for them. The Scholarships are nice but don't cover everything.

I'd like to see a study done by the Foundation as to the %'s contributed. I do know for a fact, as I know Athletes and non Athletes, that the Athletes are pressured more to contribute, upon graduation, than the average student body . I'm talking 20 to 30 year olds, and I apologize for not making myself clear.

I also appreciate the amount of time and $$$ you personally contribute as a member of the Difference Maker Club and you are commended by me. The SDSU fund raising has been very good and keeps getting better due to people like you.

I'm also surprised that you don't agree with The game has changed so much since I played in High School. We used to get to cross body block and leave our feet back in the day...
    Last edited by shot_5533; 10-06-2014, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Adam V. has a large checking account. I'd guess he has donated his fair share. Jim Langer played before the NFL paid big bucks, but he really supports the program. So does Adam for that matter...

The Athletic Department does hit up the Athletic Alumni for funds. I would throw the statement out there that the Athletic Alumni more than donate their fair share... plus their fair share of aches and pains and head injuries. Hmm... no wonder why the Major BCS Conferences are looking to pay the Athletes more. Who do you think is bringing all of the fans to the stadiums?

The game has changed so much since I played in High School. The rule changes and techniques alone are vastly different. Yoteforever happened to have a great post and he was right. Maybe he was right because he has been there? Done that?

Sure, I can diagnose sick animals and such because I've seen Veterinarians do it. I can pretend I'm a lawyer because I've seen them practice on television, plus too much in real life. Same things with MD's... But the real Vets, Lawyers, and Dr's know what there talking about because they've been there and done that.

When it comes to football, most of us, including myself, on this Board are amateurs. Great Fans, but amateurs. When a football alumni, regardless of school or Division played, has something to say, I think we should listen.

I really question some of your comments such as Adam V writing a big check. If he had,] it would have been big news. I have no idea what Adam V has contributed and neither do you. Possibly he is one of the anonymous names listed in the game program. Also I know some former athletes who have not given a plug nickel and some have been very generous. To make such a broad statement that they give more than those non-athletes is outrageous. In fact as a non-athlete, I am offended by that remark. Do you work at the Foundation? If so they hired the wrong guy.
    Otherwise the comment in bold I agree with.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    If you had stayed in Norway 7 hours ahead, you could have posted here to warn us not to watch the game. Thanks a lot Nidaros.
    Good one, but being seven hours ahead does not give one clairvoyance. You are still dealing with the present, without a clue about the future. Any rate I enjoyed my trip and my iphone kept me up on the board happenings. A much happier bunch after the SUU and Cal Poly games.

Leave a comment:

• shot_5533
    replied

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    I hate losing 45-10 as much as the next guy. Like most of you, I've calmed down since yesterday.

This isn't the NFL, but the Bucs did lose to the Falcons 56-14 and subsequently beat the Steelers by 3 the next week. This week's game will be very telling.

As much as I respect Yoteforever's past as a student athlete, I grow tired of the "you were never in a locker room" and/or the "you aren't a coach" speeches from him and others. Some on this board are major donors to SDSU athletics and don't appreciate those comments. If you want to maintain that attitude, we'll just leave the financial support of the sports programs to the "athletes".

Good luck with that.
    Adam V. has a large checking account. I'd guess he has donated his fair share. Jim Langer played before the NFL paid big bucks, but he really supports the program. So does Adam for that matter...

The Athletic Department does hit up the Athletic Alumni for funds. I would throw the statement out there that the Athletic Alumni more than donate their fair share... plus their fair share of aches and pains and head injuries. Hmm... no wonder why the Major BCS Conferences are looking to pay the Athletes more. Who do you think is bringing all of the fans to the stadiums?

The game has changed so much since I played in High School. The rule changes and techniques alone are vastly different. Yoteforever happened to have a great post and he was right. Maybe he was right because he has been there? Done that?

Sure, I can diagnose sick animals and such because I've seen Veterinarians do it. I can pretend I'm a lawyer because I've seen them practice on television, plus too much in real life. Same things with MD's... But the real Vets, Lawyers, and Dr's know what there talking about because they've been there and done that.

When it comes to football, most of us, including myself, on this Board are amateurs. Great Fans, but amateurs. When a football alumni, regardless of school or Division played, has something to say, I think we should listen.

Leave a comment:

• westernjack
    replied

Listened to the game on the radio, just watched the condensed "highlights" of the game. My thoughts-
    I think our offense would have been able to do some things had it not been for the turnovers and then likely forcing things and getting out of our game plan with being in such a large hole. I don't think that their defensive athleticism would be a huge problem for our offense if we played them again.
    Defense is another story. Our line looked like boys against men. I really don't like our defensive philosophy with how we play our lineman, having them off the ball and reading and reacting. We have a small line. Our advantage should be we should be quicker than the offensive lines we play. It doesn't seem like we try and use that at all by playing off the ball and trying to plug gaps. With Ill St.'s lineman averaging 310+ and our guys 280-, what do we expect to happen when all we do is tell them to plug this gap and try and let the linebackers make the plays. Of course they are going to get pushed back or washed down the line, thus not allowing our linebackers to have a clear vision for the ball carriers. We heard all through fall camp how much of a stud Langer was going to be this year, just don't think we are ever going to see his potential to create plays with the technique he is forced to use. Line wasn't the only problem though. There were many plays that we had a guy in position to make a tackle for no or minimal gain, only to see a whiff. I think this came down to their qb and rb just being better than we were.
    All in all if we played them again it would be closer, but I still don't think we would beat them. Too many great athletes for them and not enough for us

Leave a comment:

• smoothjack
    replied

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    While I understand (and agree with) the frustration, isn't being expected to win almost every game pretty indicative of how strong our program is? Especially considering the fact that we play in the MVFC??

I'm not apologizing for the loss, and the team certainly has some work to do.
    Please check rep.

Leave a comment:

• shot_5533
    replied

[QUOTE=91jack;258157]

This is just the first time that having a unexperienced QB hurt us(there were many other things... run D, special teams, etc..). Delay of the game, holding the ball too long, etc.. it all added up. Would Sumner have underthrown that deep ball? Who knows! How about some of the other throws that were off? I can't remember for sure but we turned it over something like 4 times and then went for it on 4th down a couple of other time where we could have put some points on the board. Of course, at the end of the game, they were playing some of their bench players.

QUOTE]

I agree.......

This is the first game the Jack's couldn't overcome the loss of Austin.... QB is such an important position.

ISU has been in recent years a very good, under rated program.

I'm sick about the loss, but there is a game next Saturday and it is not over yet.

Too bad the Leathernecks couldn't upset the Bison. That game looked close...

Leave a comment:

• SF_Rabbit_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
    ^^^ THIS!!! When was the last time SDSU won a game they weren't suppose to win?? The closest we have had to a signature win is beating NDSU at home how many years ago? We have had a lot of moral victories such as Nebraska games... but the letdowns seem to outweigh the triumphs.
    While I understand (and agree with) the frustration, isn't being expected to win almost every game pretty indicative of how strong our program is? Especially considering the fact that we play in the MVFC??

I'm not apologizing for the loss, and the team certainly has some work to do.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

I communicated with several former Jackrabbit players during, after and late into the night Saturday. Let me just say they weren't apologizing for anything. If you aren't a little concerned, critical and perhaps even upset after a performance like that I'm not sure what to think.
    I would bet that all of the current coaches and players and 99% of the fans also felt some or all of the above emotions. Hopefully everyone directly connected with the team learns from Saturday and moves on. It would shock me if the Jacks don't play much better on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• smoothjack
    replied

Agree, facts are facts. Opinions are opinion and we all have different viewpoints based on prior experiences and our current situation in life.

Facts, 45-10 Jackrabbits fail in the first big test of the year. Fact, 3 turnovers in the first quarter lead to a 21-0 deficit. Fact, defense gave up 500 yds including 350 yds on the ground. Fact, special teams failed again surrendering a kickoff return for a TD. Fact, averaged only 36 yds per punt (46 for ISU)

Fact, this is only 1 loss in a long conference season. Fact, the offense was productive, equal in first downs, equal T.O.P, total offense of 450 yds.

My opinion, ISU is a better team but not 45-10 better. The Jacks got out played and I think out coached. That said, 3 turnovers in the 1st quarter is damn near impossible to overcome.

I've seen it repeated year after year. A blowout loss in a major game where the Jackrabbits are favored or at least expected to compete. I'll admit its my expectations are altered by the dominance of the program to the north. They never lose a game their expected to win and they win plenty of games their not expected to win. When is the last time the Jackrabbits won a game they weren't expected to win??? Heck, the coyotes beat the Gophers and EWU just to name 2.

So, frustration over this loss is perfectly acceptable in my mind. Criticism is warranted, blame should be placed. Panic if you want to, its not going to change the outcome or alter the future. The only resolution available is a victory this week. Stig said his expectation was a seed and a playoff bye. Losing 45-10 sure as heck isn't in the game plan if a playoff seed is the goal.
    ^^^ THIS!!! When was the last time SDSU won a game they weren't suppose to win?? The closest we have had to a signature win is beating NDSU at home how many years ago? We have had a lot of moral victories such as Nebraska games... but the letdowns seem to outweigh the triumphs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X