Austin's Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Austin's Recovery

I'm surprised (though I probably shouldn't be) that people have already made up their mind whether there will be a QB controversy if and when Austin comes back.

If we are say, 6-2 and when Austin is ready to get back on the field, wouldn't it be logical to believe the QB status would be dependent on how we were winning those games? If we are squeaking out all those wins via a strong defense and a heavy running attack, why wouldn't we bring back Austin to see if he can add a spark to the offense? In the same regard, if we are scoring 30+ points a game and Lujan is proving himself as an efficient passer, why would tinker with something that isn't broken?

I'm all for speculations, but why take a side this early with so many questions left unanswered?
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
      Why are most of your posts about the back up QB? Hmmmmm.......
      Well that would be because thats what this thread is about killer. But, when you cant win the argument, attack the integrity of the poster.

Look, youre taking my posts as an attack on Sumners ability or performance. They arent. They are being based on a hypothetical where the Jacks are on a roll and Lujan is playing well. I wasnt calling for Sumner to be sat, ever. But I will argue against the logic of putting someone as the starter after they have been out for a long time due to injury in automatically over their replacement who has been performing at a high level. I persobally feel that can seriously mess with a teams mojo mid to late season. I am in no way saying Lujan is better right now or will be better, but in the circumstance we are arguing about I feel you stay with the hot hand. You seem to be taking that as a personal attack on Sumner or his ability, which is not true. Dont try to pigion hole me to make your arguement seem more valid.

Comment

So the pre season All conference QB in the toughest FCS Conference is not a top three QB? All ready holder of many SDSU All time records?

Suffering from short term memory loss or what?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          No denying Austin is a great quarterback. However, always felt his lack of mobility in the backfield and awareness created way too many sacos and felt he could have taken off and run more often. I think Lujan provides different threat.

I agree with his feet and quickness. He's just not mobile enough.

Ugh...I'll get ridiculed for this but Carson Wentz from NDSU is basically Austin Sumner with much better feet and mobility.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

So the pre season All conference QB in the toughest FCS Conference is not a top three QB? All ready holder of many SDSU All time records?

Suffering from short term memory loss or what?
            Just because he holds records here and is a pre season all conference in a conference that is a predominantly run heavy league doesnt mean he is top three in the country. Is he a good qb, hell yeah. Top ten, definately. Not sure about top three. Im not a professional talent evaluator, but with a rushing threat like ZZ he should be able to put up big numbers with the focus on the run game.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper 76 View Post
              Well that would be because thats what this thread is about killer. But, when you cant win the argument, attack the integrity of the poster.

Look, youre taking my posts as an attack on Sumners ability or performance. They arent. They are being based on a hypothetical where the Jacks are on a roll and Lujan is playing well. I wasnt calling for Sumner to be sat, ever. But I will argue against the logic of putting someone as the starter after they have been out for a long time due to injury in automatically over their replacement who has been performing at a high level. I persobally feel that can seriously mess with a teams mojo mid to late season. I am in no way saying Lujan is better right now or will be better, but in the circumstance we are arguing about I feel you stay with the hot hand. You seem to be taking that as a personal attack on Sumner or his ability, which is not true. Dont try to pigion hole me to make your arguement seem more valid.
              Seniors with Austin's resume come along a few times in your lifetime. You play your Senior if both are 100% healthy. The last great first year QB was Austin Sumner. IF Both are equal, you go with your two time captain. IF the .0001% chance that the younger guy is better, what a wonderful problem to have! you play both and go with the hot hand that day, maybe. That is why Stig gets paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper 76 View Post

Also , I did not mean to attack your integrity. I was tongue in cheek because of earlier posts, from others, that another poster is Austiin's Dad.

I see see the point you are trying to make; however, I don't think it would ever become an issue. Injuries are common in football and good coaches know how to deal with them. I would agree, don't rush Austin back too early.

Comment

I hope beyond hope that the subject of this thread comes to fruition, because if there is a discussion to be had it means that Sumner has made enough of a recovery to be considered to play, and more importantly that this team did a remarkable job of winning games in his absence. Austin is a quality young man, and I am so sad about his injury. This offseason I have talked many times about how nice it would be to see Sumner have a healthy season and really show all of what he can do. He has played well through substantial injuries each of the past two seasons.

It would be a great story to have the team rally around Lujan, win games and have Austin come back in time for a couple of tune ups at the end of the year and then lead this team on a playoff run. Here's hoping it works out.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I remember reading some years ago (I'm fairly sure it was on this message board) that the most popular guy on a football team is the backup quarterback. I thought of that comment while reading some of the posts in this thread! In six weeks or so, who will be the backup?

Anyway...hoping for a perfect recovery for Austin and in the meantime, looking forward to watching Lujan. Can't wait for Saturday.

Comment

Rolling on the ground now laughing at you... For a guy who likes to argue TK, you don't win too many arguments do you? Seriously, you have to consider getting on Last Comic Standing!

i now feel dumber just from reading some of these posts on this topic....
                      Feel free to come on back after your visit from Fantasyland.

Fantasyland: Where Austin Sumner has a "real" offseason QB battle to win, and JUCOS with real game time experience are labeled rookies.

Comment

Also , I did not mean to attack your integrity. I was tongue in cheek because of earlier posts, from others, that another poster is Austiin's Dad.

I see see the point you are trying to make; however, I don't think it would ever become an issue. Injuries are common in football and good coaches know how to deal with them. I would agree, don't rush Austin back too early.
                        No, I am not austins father, nor a relative...I comment on threads that are totally out of line with reality. This shouldnt be a thread, but when someone decides to create it and make the assumption of quartback battles or what not, you are correct I am going to state the true relevance of what Sumner has brought to this team along with every other player that has sacrificed time and hardwork.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                          No, I am not austins father, nor a relative...I comment on threads that really hurt my feelings about my favorite player.

FIFY
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            FIFY

Wow....takes some skill to change my words around.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                              No, I am not austins father, nor a relative...I comment on threads that are totally out of line with reality. This shouldnt be a thread, but when someone decides to create it and make the assumption of quartback battles or what not, you are correct I am going to state the true relevance of what Sumner has brought to this team along with every other player that has sacrificed time and hardwork.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y74E_thD1u0

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                                Haha, got to hand it to ya, that was funny. But in all seriousness believe what you want.

Comment

Working...
                                X