Week 2: Cal Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Week 2: Cal Poly

Anyone else notice the fill-in special teams coordinator? The back up punter, #46 Ron Pavlik, had a headset on and was organizing the various special teams packages on the sideline.

I don't recall us doing this in the past. It looked a little different having a player do this, but with co-coordinators, it probably helps coaches make better use their time than counting heads. That being said, Ron did a good job. I didn't see any issue with the personnel groups, and they were ready to go each time.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
      Anyone else notice the fill-in special teams coordinator? The back up punter, #46 Ron Pavlik, had a headset on and was organizing the various special teams packages on the sideline.

I don't recall us doing this in the past. It looked a little different having a player do this, but with co-coordinators, it probably helps coaches make better use their time than counting heads. That being said, Ron did a good job. I didn't see any issue with the personnel groups, and they were ready to go each time.
      He did the same role last year. He was a student intern last year.
      Last edited by NWHSUandSDSU; 09-08-2014, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
        Hassell runs a 4.4 40 yard dash. A linebacker with that kind of speed and good size is lethal. I'm glad we have him on our side for the next four years.
        The only thing I didn't like about that play was Hassell celebrating after making the tackle. Dude, the defense just gave up an 89 yard pass play. No time to celebrate, no matter how much you looked like The Six Million Dollar Man.....dun-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh.........

I was also really happy to see Wesley bounce back from his early miscues.

Comment

Congrats on the win. I only saw the score, but it looked very impressive especially considering you did it with your backup qb. Cal Poly has always been a worthy opponent, so this definitely looks like a quality win. Good job Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
            The second after he dropped that 3rd down pass, I turned to my wife and said, "I don't think I've ever seen him catch a ball, let alone a TD. How is he still on the team?" Next drive...2 big catches, one for a TD, which was the 1st of his career.
            Friend and I did exactly the same thing, exactly. Glad he proved us both to be fools. Slow start, great finish with a few WTF's in between. Timeout on a kickoff return, not sure I've ever seen that before.

Great crowd in number, could have been louder IMO. Tailgate was fantastic, perfect weather, too large a police presence once again. I tailgated in Missouri, you can carry a beer, drink, bottle of liquor ANYWHERE you want to at ANYTIME of the day or night. Cops were there only to move traffic along, certainly not to treat fans like children. The larger crowds are larger for more than one reason. However, I would argue the #1 reason is tailgating. SDSU should be doing everything they can to encourage it and make it what the fans want.

Onto SUU, huge game, need to be 1-0 this week.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Friend and I did exactly the same thing, exactly. Glad he proved us both to be fools. Slow start, great finish with a few WTF's in between. Timeout on a kickoff return, not sure I've ever seen that before.

Great crowd in number, could have been louder IMO. Tailgate was fantastic, perfect weather, too large a police presence once again. I tailgated in Missouri, you can carry a beer, drink, bottle of liquor ANYWHERE you want to at ANYTIME of the day or night. Cops were there only to move traffic along, certainly not to treat fans like children. The larger crowds are larger for more than one reason. However, I would argue the #1 reason is tailgating. SDSU should be doing everything they can to encourage it and make it what the fans want.

the only thing I can gather from the time out was coach Stig was trying to get a feel for a possible onside kick. I may be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                the only thing I can gather from the time out was coach Stig was trying to get a feel for a possible onside kick. I may be wrong though.
                That what the guy sitting next to me we talked about, but they werent lined up for an onside kick. Didnt we call a time out when we were kicking off sometime the last couple years?
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Everyone in the stadium thought that was a possibility when it became apparent that they had no back-up kicker. Our coaches should have been well prepared ahead of that moment. Using all our timeouts in the first 30 seconds of the game wasn't the best either. Oh well, get better each week and keep winning.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Someone in the media should ask Stig what does the card says on kick offs when your leading with this much time(what ever those were for us) and facing a back up kicker......call time out? field a kick normally? prepare for onside kick?
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Everyone in the stadium thought that was a possibility when it became apparent that they had no back-up kicker. Our coaches should have been well prepared ahead of that moment. Using all our timeouts in the first 30 seconds of the game wasn't the best either. Oh well, get better each week and keep winning.
                      Do you seriously think the coaching staff should prepare for the chance that the opposing team will not have a backup kicker? Preparing for that scenario (and infinite other unlikely scenarios) seems like a colossal waste of time, especially considering how short-staffed we are...

I'd much rather that time be spent working on covering the triple-option or making sure our backup QB is prepared, but what do I know.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I agree. State needs to push the tailgating scene. They're missing out on more fans.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Do you seriously think the coaching staff should prepare for the chance that the opposing team will not have a backup kicker? Preparing for that scenario (and infinite other unlikely scenarios) seems like a colossal waste of time, especially considering how short-staffed we are...

I'd much rather that time be spent working on covering the triple-option or making sure our backup QB is prepared, but what do I know.
                          This is different then game planning for the week to stop the option, a situation like the one above is an in game adjustment. I would assume we would make in game adjustments if say their starting QB were to go down, see if that changes play calling or how we defend or put more pressure on the QB. When the kicker was hurt, it needs in game adjustments, like making sure we are ready to stop the 2 point coversions every time...But also need to be aware that a potentional onside kick could happen in that situation....No one knows why the time out was called, but speculating here that was most likely the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

No. Didn't say that.

Comment

Someone should ask Stig about this tonight.

And tell him to push for more lenient tailgating.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                And tell him to push for more lenient tailgating.
                                When driving onto campus this weekend, I saw 2 members of the Gestapo on their ATVs speed through campus about 40 MPH, blowing through stop signs....both without helmets.

All I could do was SMH. Better hurry up and get to the backyard........somebody is drinking top-shelf beer from a glass bottle (GASP!).

Comment

Working...
                                X