Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Recruiting List

New offer: Aaron Blackwell, DT from AZ
    @jason247scout: 1st offer for Peoria Az. Liberty DT Aaron Blackwell is from South Dakota State

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/foo...ackwell-144325
    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1711333/aaron-blackwell

He moved to defense just this year. Possibly why he hasn't seen more early offers.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...hool/70114884/

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
      In all sports SDSU tends to think Brookings kids will just be willing to walk on. Brayden Carlson was a walk on.
      Not going to get in to much of the back scratching that definitely went on in the D2 days(Pre-Stig). I can only speak for football. I don't think it exists today in the D1. If a player is capable then the coaches need to(and will) offer him regardless of where he/she is from.
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        New offer: Aaron Blackwell, DT from AZ
        @jason247scout: 1st offer for Peoria Az. Liberty DT Aaron Blackwell is from South Dakota State

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/foo...ackwell-144325
        http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1711333/aaron-blackwell

He moved to defense just this year. Possibly why he hasn't seen more early offers.
        http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...hool/70114884/
        I like this guys highlights, he can get into the backfield and create havoc, good size 6'3, 270/285

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          I will second this. I really don't care if we win with a bunch of guys from Nova Scotia as long as they aren't Criminoles.

Guys like Greenway, Reiff, and the Farnioks who have P5 scholarship offers aren't coming to SDSU no matter how good of a sales job our coaches do. As I have mentioned before somewhere on this site, Stig told Greenway he could start at ANY POSITION his freshman year if he came to State. It's not like our coaches aren't doing everything they can to recruit those guys....they're just realistic that it is less than a 1% chance it will happen.

The PWO offers are a different story, but I can tell you that if my kids have the opportunity to walk on at Iowa, even for a year, they will always choose Iowa over SDSU. If it doesn't work out at Iowa they can always transfer back to State.
          Not sure I'd use a blanket statement that guys with P5 offers wont be coming to State. Most wont but they may come a time where an instate stud wants to be a Jack.

Although not football Macy Miller is a perfect example. She could have gone much bigger. I know, I know big difference between football and women's basketball. The time will come though.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            Not sure I'd use a blanket statement that guys with P5 offers wont be coming to State. Most wont but they may come a time where an instate stud wants to be a Jack.

Although not football Macy Miller is a perfect example. She could have gone much bigger. I know, I know big difference between football and women's basketball. The time will come though.
            Reading this thread, as guy who is approaching age 75, it is amazing what influences younger folks to make choices. The sad part is that I never asked my self this questions. Where do I want to be in 20 or 30 years? What will I be doing at that time? Will have participating in athletes at the highest level still be a big part of my life? If we could only get young folks to think like they are 45 years old, they would be able to answers these questions. After having my IRA drop twelve thousand in value yesterday, I sure wish I had the wisdom to answer those questions when I was 18 or 19 years old. My point is that we don't always see things in the long term.

Does Chad Greenway regret going to Iowa over SDSU? Probably not because might have had the feeling that he could compete in the NFL and no doubt has plans for the future. Another point to be made that people like Mr. Greenway are no different than any of us here. We have choices to make and some have big impacts on life we live.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Reading this thread, as guy who is approaching age 75, it is amazing what influences younger folks to make choices. The sad part is that I never asked my self this questions. Where do I want to be in 20 or 30 years? What will I be doing at that time? Will have participating in athletes at the highest level still be a big part of my life? If we could only get young folks to think like they are 45 years old, they would be able to answers these questions. After having my IRA drop twelve thousand in value yesterday, I sure wish I had the wisdom to answer those questions when I was 18 or 19 years old. My point is that we don't always see things in the long term.

Does Chad Greenway regret going to Iowa over SDSU? Probably not because might have had the feeling that he could compete in the NFL and no doubt has plans for the future. Another point to be made that people like Mr. Greenway are no different than any of us here. We have choices to make and some have big impacts on life we live.

I wonder if SDSU was FCS if Chads decision would have been different. Kids make choices for lots of reasons. P5 is not for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                I wonder if SDSU was FCS if Chads decision would have been different. Kids make choices for lots of reasons. P5 is not for everyone.
                I see he was just born yesterday 1983 and is 31 going into 2015. I have my doubts he would have chosen FCS over FBS. He had to come into Iowa with a fearless attitude after playing 9 man football. Whoever from Iowa, who recruited him did a good job, and and apparently sold him on the academics they have to offer. And Iowa City is not far from Mt Vernon. Wiki does not say any thing about what he majored in or what his GPA was, but apparently his GPA was good enough to compete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Gr...College_career

Comment

What the **** is P5? I am pretty sure Greenway and the Reiffs all received scholarships, none of them were walk-ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    What the **** is P5? I am pretty sure Greenway and the Reiffs all received scholarships, none of them were walk-ons.

P5 is the power 5 conferences of FBS. Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, etc. I can't even remember all 5 or what they are called anymore. Essentially, the major conferences.

You might also see G5 references, which means Gang of 5 if I remember correctly. This would be second tier FBS like the Sun Belt, MAC, Conferencee USA (I think) etc. As far as I know, the recent SF Roosevelt QB who verballed had a several G5 offers.

I could have sworn that Greenway and the older Reiff were a preferred walk ons (edit: at the start of their college careers, earning scholarships later), but I can barely keep up with SDSU athletics much less Iowa. I also could have sworn there have been several that have gone walk on route at Nebraska instead of scholarships at SDSU. It doesn't really matter, its tough to get those kinds of kids to choose SDSU. I think this is one area where our new facilities will level the playing field a little bit.

Another edit: I think the walkon/scholarship water gets a little muddy because walk ons who make it usually end up as scholarship by their sophomore year at the latest. I am no expert, so this could easily be a wrong assumption as well.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post

P5 is shorthand for power five conferences of FBS. I for one did not questioned that they did indeed receive full rides. Did I mention walk-ons? I don't think so.

Comment

Now I understand, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          P5 is the power 5 conferences of FBS. Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, etc. I can't even remember all 5 or what they are called anymore. Essentially, the major conferences.

You might also see G5 references, which means Gang of 5 if I remember correctly. This would be second tier FBS like the Sun Belt, MAC, Conferencee USA (I think) etc. As far as I know, the recent SF Roosevelt QB who verballed had a several G5 offers.

I could have sworn that Greenway and the older Reiff were a preferred walk ons (edit: at the start of their college careers, earning scholarships later), but I can barely keep up with SDSU athletics much less Iowa. I also could have sworn there have been several that have gone walk on route at Nebraska instead of scholarships at SDSU. It doesn't really matter, its tough to get those kinds of kids to choose SDSU. I think this is one area where our new facilities will level the playing field a little bit.

Another edit: I think the walkon/scholarship water gets a little muddy because walk ons who make it usually end up as scholarship by their sophomore year at the latest. I am no expert, so this could easily be a wrong assumption as well.
                          Thanks SF, I posted my brief post before reading yours, so although it may appear I was repeating what you said, I was aware of P5 term and what it meant. Also thank you for the rpt points. I really did not deserve them. The world loves shorthand too much.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Greenway received a scholarship, he was not a walk on. I don't know about the elder Reiff

Comment

Two of the Jacks verbals from NE made first team all NE. Marquise Lewis as a DB and Ryan Earith, DT. A lot of the defensive team were players SDSU offered.

http://dataomaha.com/documents/2014-...raska-football
                              Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 12-14-2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Two of the Jacks verbals from NE made first team all NE. Marquise Lewis as a DB and Ryan Earith, DT. A lot of the defensive team were players SDSU a offered.

http://dataomaha.com/documents/2014-...raska-football
                                I got a chuckle out of the Facebook comment made by the lady from Gotenburg, "all from the east and no one from the west". Sort of the same argument of East River vs West River. Unless I reading wrong, there are a bunch of these guys who have not made early commits. I thinking we could land some more by signing day. I notice too, that Wyoming has two commits so far and no doubt more coming to them. Bohl is serious about building a program at Wyoming.

Comment

Working...
                                X