HOBO DAY GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOBO DAY GDT

My concerns right now are with what Coach Stig has been saying the past couple of weeks and on the Insider and on his coaches show. He keeps saying "We're a good football team" and "We're going to win a lot of football games" Before you pile on and post that's what he's suppose to say. Hear me out.

When you have a good team you don't need to say those things. When you don't have a good team you say those things to try and convince your players and yourself that you do have a good team. Hopefully he's right and this thing will turn around.

GO RABBITS!

Comment

One more thing for motor mouth (me),are we running the right pass routes?If Sumners been getting say 3 sec average time in the pocket,before it collapses,and we're running pass routes that take longer,you're making Sumner mighty vulnerable (appearing to hold on to the ball too long say?) aren't you?Another thing might not be his fault...pass routes are quick enough,but recievers all covered,is that the right pass play if the 'D' has them covered?A lot has to do with the right play calls as far as moving the sticks....call the wrong play and it's destined for failure,no matter who the qb is or what he does or doesn't do.

Comment

We're a good team,we just haven't peaked yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          Yep,that's grounding. When throwing out of the pocket,he has to have a receiver reasonably close to the thrown ball. Now, if he is outside the "tackle box",which is the distance between the 2 offensive tackles, then he can chuck it up in the stands.
          That's what I thought. I keep reading that he needs to throw the ball away and not take a sack. He is usually still in the pocket when he gets sacked. The grounding penalty alone would be worse than the sack. Trying to throw it away under the pressure he gets usually leads to some swipes at an unprotected football. Fumbles would be way worse than a sack. Stuck in the pocket with 2 receivers blanketed by 4 DBs, a sack is about the best option. I don't want to rail on the offensive coaches because they've forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but there has got to be a way to make taking a sack be a lower option on a list of outcomes.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            That's what I thought. I keep reading that he needs to throw the ball away and not take a sack. He is usually still in the pocket when he gets sacked. The grounding penalty alone would be worse than the sack. Trying to throw it away under the pressure he gets usually leads to some swipes at an unprotected football. Fumbles would be way worse than a sack. Stuck in the pocket with 2 receivers blanketed by 4 DBs, a sack is about the best option. I don't want to rail on the offensive coaches because they've forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but there has got to be a way to make taking a sack be a lower option on a list of outcomes.
            Overthrow a receiver on the sideline. You see it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              The grounding penalty would be the same as the sack. Grounding is a loss of down and the ball is placed at the spot of the infraction. Overthrowing a receiver on the sideline is all he'd have to do. Sometimes that impossible, and I understand that too, but he takes way too many sacks. Some are on the offensive line and some on him. Offensive line needs to get their crap together.

Austin holds the ball way too long, especially in play action. I sit by a former QB, and he was a good one, and he has said a number of times this season that Austin is holding onto the ball way too long and that he needs to trust the receivers to be at the spot.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Do you think it is possible that he doesnt trust that the receivers will be in the right spot? A number of times they run an out instead of the slant they are supposed to as in what happened when he was almost picked last game. Not arguing anyone's point just making a fair assesment. Yes, everyone needs to be better not just some.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                  Do you think it is possible that he doesnt trust that the receivers will be in the right spot? A number of times they run an out instead of the slant they are supposed to as in what happened when he was almost picked last game. Not arguing anyone's point just making a fair assesment. Yes, everyone needs to be better not just some.
                  He's overthrown many receivers on simple 15 yard out routes.... I am sure he is working his tail off in practice to correct it.. Thats the type of player he is... Our Tight end has had 2 key fumbles the last 2 games.... Time for him to step up and be the force he was expected to be this fall...

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                    Not quite sure how you can know sitting in the stands that receivers are not running the right routes , unless a coach or a player that is in the huddle and knows the play calls have told you this.

Comment

Not trying to sound like I know more than anyone else on this thread but I do know many players on both sides of the ball and that is what I have been told. I am not saying it happens everytime all the time just some at crucial times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        To answer your question here...Bohl made $327,000 last year.
                        Thank you for the info. So he makes twice as much as Stig. It seems fair to me because he was won twice as many national championships. NDSU is getting a deal only having to pay Bohl that amount. Once the new stadium comes around, the Jacks will be able to pay their coach more. Will that coach be Stig? That is the question. I'm sure he is under enormous scrutiny this year from the powers that be. This should have been the year of the Jacks and so far they have failed. Again, I keep pounding this point, Seniors on the O -line with an All American and a 320 lb. redshirt frosh on the rise, talented QB who has regressed, and one of the best RB's in all of college football regardless of Division. They should have not have lost on Hobo Day.

For those of you who say Austin hasn't regressed it is his lack of receivers - First of all, this forum has proved that his receivers this year aren't as bad as you say. So are you saying Dale Moss made Sumner rookie of the year? With Austin's honors, he should be an outstanding QB regardless - Moss or no Moss. Lets all agree he has the personal talent. Then it is up to the coaches to take responsibility for his development. He needs to get rid of the ball sooner. No doubt. Throw it at the feet of the receiver or out of bounds if he can't complete it. Throw it to spots and trust his receivers. As for sacks it is simple - get rid of the ball. Facing blitzes it is simple. The O-line is responsible for 5, the RB for 1, and the QB for the 7th. They blitz someone is open with 1 on 1 coverage. Good QB's make that pass. Austin simply needs to be "coached up" better. I believe he has the talent. He has more experience now than Ryan Berry, but Ryan Berry could beat the Bison. Austin hasn't or can't until he proves otherwise.

Comment

[QUOTE=KUlawJack;236549]The grounding penalty would be the same as the sack. Grounding is a loss of down and the ball is placed at the spot of the infraction. QUOTE]

Thanks, that's good to know. I get the high school and college rules mixed up all the time. HS it is a 5 yard penalty from where the QB threw the ball.
                          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                            Thank you for the info. So he makes twice as much as Stig. It seems fair to me because he was won twice as many national championships.
                            Is that SDSU math? j/k, I know what you meant.

As far ass Sumner, receivers, and Moss, there may be some sense to why Sumner seems to have gotten worse. Moss was awesome and helped open up your whole offense. He was reliable, ran good routes, fast, etc. Backtrack to last year. Now we all agree Jensen is a great qb (c'mon, I had to ), but he had a real rough spell last year right around our regular season game. Some responsibility falls on his shoulders, but some also fell on the receivers. At that time we had a revolving door at receiver due to numerous injuries. We did not have a set lineup of receivers until the playoffs and it was hard for them to get on the same page. Now back to Sumner's situation...if your receivers are not doing the things they need to be doing, it makes it pretty hard on Sumner. Sumner did not have a great game against us, but I don't remember your receivers getting much for separation.

Point is, I think Sumner is pretty darn good. If we didn't have Jensen, I'd gladly taken Sumner. You guys also have to take into account you've been through a pretty tough string of games. SIU has to be getting on the desperate side for winning games and getting into the playoffs. Lennon can't last there much longer if he doesn't do something soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                              Is that SDSU math? j/k, I know what you meant.

As far ass Sumner, receivers, and Moss, there may be some sense to why Sumner seems to have gotten worse. Moss was awesome and helped open up your whole offense. He was reliable, ran good routes, fast, etc. Backtrack to last year. Now we all agree Jensen is a great qb (c'mon, I had to ), but he had a real rough spell last year right around our regular season game. Some responsibility falls on his shoulders, but some also fell on the receivers. At that time we had a revolving door at receiver due to numerous injuries. We did not have a set lineup of receivers until the playoffs and it was hard for them to get on the same page. Now back to Sumner's situation...if your receivers are not doing the things they need to be doing, it makes it pretty hard on Sumner. Sumner did not have a great game against us, but I don't remember your receivers getting much for separation.

Point is, I think Sumner is pretty darn good. If we didn't have Jensen, I'd gladly taken Sumner. You guys also have to take into account you've been through a pretty tough string of games. SIU has to be getting on the desperate side for winning games and getting into the playoffs. Lennon can't last there much longer if he doesn't do something soon.
                              We were just as desperate after losing 2 in a row,as least i thought we should have been. BTW, does a alarm go off every time someone posts something here about NDSU? Seems like you appear rather quickly. Something like a bat signal?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                                We were just as desperate after losing 2 in a row,as least i thought we should have been. BTW, does a alarm go off every time someone posts something here about NDSU? Seems like you appear rather quickly. Something like a bat signal?
                                Not really the same kind of desperation...I think Lennon has to be worried about keeping his job. You lost to Nebraska (no shame in that), and to the #1 team (not really any shame in that either). SIU hasn't done anything for a few years now. There is shame in that...and Lennon knows that.

And yes, I do skim a lot of the threads and pay a little more attention if I see NDSU mentioned. I read most of this thread, though. I wanted to get a feel for what happened and how you guys handled it.

Comment

Working...
                                X