Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOBO DAY GDT

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    ding ding ding ding ding.........we have a winner. That is the biggest difference between freshman year and now. Moss made him who he was that year, in my opinion. I think we just expect more of him than what he is. My biggest frustration is that he still needs to improve on getting rid of the ball and avoiding the sack. Has had enough starts that this shouldn't be as much of an issue as it is.
    I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but wanted to add a few additional thoughts.

Sumner is top 25 in FCS for yards per pass this year. Kind of hard to believe. While our receiving group isn't Moss/Rollin, it is serviceable enough. Especially with what should be a very formidable running game.

I have mixed feelings on the sack thing. He does seem to take a lot of sacks where he could/should throw the ball away. However, a sack is waaaay better than an interception.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      They are still wearing pink jerseys. But I don't think they are for the purposes you are describing. Wearing a pink jersey is for someone who may have been late to a meeting, missed class, etc.

I thought it was for on and off the field stuff. I thought it was all inclusive that have to "do the right thing" on and off the field. Probably wouldnt have enough pink ones for all the on field mistakes, plus the coaches would probably have to wear them too.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        They are still wearing pink jerseys. But I don't think they are for the purposes you are describing. Wearing a pink jersey is for someone who may have been late to a meeting, missed class, etc.
        In fact last week on the radio show, Stig mentioned someone who did miss a class and whoever was riding herd on these details missed it, and the S/A came forward and told him that he had indeed missed a class. Since he came forward, for honesty he was awarded a grey jersey, an honor color. UWM is right though, its for missing class or being somewhere where they are suppose to be, but for some reason it does not count on the football field. Someone can play in the wrong spot, and that seems to be okay, except, they do individual grading on players and miscues on the field count towards the final grades, so either way, the players are held accountable for more things then most of us are in our everyday jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but wanted to add a few additional thoughts.

Sumner is top 25 in FCS for yards per pass this year. Kind of hard to believe. While our receiving group isn't Moss/Rollin, it is serviceable enough. Especially with what should be a very formidable running game.

I have mixed feelings on the sack thing. He does seem to take a lot of sacks where he could/should throw the ball away. However, a sack is waaaay better than an interception.
          One of the keys to being an effective pocket passing QB is throwing the ball in a timely manner. Sumner doesn't do that. He holds the ball way too long, way too often. Passing yards per game is not a stat that equates to a QB's efficiency and effectiveness. QB rating is better but not perfect. Great QB's convert 3rd down pass plays and get their team in the endzone with efficiency.

Sumner is a very good QB, no argument there. He would likely be better with a better receiving core, he doesn't have that. He has to find a way to be great with what he has and I don't see that. His sense for when the ball needs to be thrown (away or by taking a risk at a receiver) does not seem to be where it needs to be.

A QB that never throws a TD because he is afraid of throwing an interception does not equal a great QB. I'm not saying he should throw more picks, I am saying he doesn't throw many picks because he doesn't take many chances. When the Jacks are effectively rushing the ball a ball control conservative QB is just what they need. Against NU, NDSU, and now SIU the Jacks needed more from Sumner.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm not sure how the grounding rule works. If he launches one into the stands from the pocket, is that grounding or not?
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

How do you expect to throw a touchdown when you hardly ever get inside the red-zone. We sure as heck dont throw the ball down the field for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                I'm not sure how the grounding rule works. If he launches one into the stands from the pocket, is that grounding or not?

I believe throwing a pass from in the pocket a receiver must be in the vicinity of the throw. Throwing ball away outside of pocket must get back to at least the line of scrimmage.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                  I don't know, but I think $150,000 per year plus benefits isn't bad. What does Bohl get paid? Stig and the assistants need to get paid better.
                  To answer your question here...Bohl made $327,000 last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Is that basepay with incentives? like winning NC or performace bonuses? Thats not a shabby paycheck either.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                      Yep,that's grounding. When throwing out of the pocket,he has to have a receiver reasonably close to the thrown ball. Now, if he is outside the "tackle box",which is the distance between the 2 offensive tackles, then he can chuck it up in the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we also do not have the full complement of assistants that the Bye-Sons have.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          What I am saying is the players are focused more on tweeting about uniforms and rumors of new stadiums more then they were fired up for winning the most important game of the season.
                          This is wrong. You are wrong.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            What I am saying is the players are focused more on tweeting about uniforms and rumors of new stadiums more then they were fired up for winning the most important game of the season.

Your right in the throw backs last year we sure played well. Infact this year we did too for the most part on D until the 4th qtr.

Maybe I didn't make it clear but my point was the team isn't focused on as you said going back to business, if what we saw saturday was getting back to business it was a very sad display. They sure didn't look interested in being there.
                            Or maybe, just maybe, we aren't a good football team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

Nice uniforms are cool for players to look at and talk about with your family/friends and teammates during their free time until they walk into the meeting room, weight room, practice field, on gameday when their complete focus is on football. They are D1 athletes on a scholarship, if you think the players are more worried about the uniforms than the actual game, you are crazy.
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Great QB debate,but throw the ball away in an offensive set gives you nothing for getting 10 yds toward a first down,that's a failed play,we have too many failed plays....waiting just a second longer to maybe get something,debatable?
                                Sumner might need more blocking time or his recievers need to get open faster,or,like you say,has to take a few chances to loosen up the defense a little.....
                                I think we've been playing in the MVFC long enough so that our opponents have a pretty good "feel" for what we are going to do in just about any down "situation".Doing something different doesn't work either,because we don't do that well .

My take,we have too many downs for nothing,be it the run or pass,makes most of our third downs long,decreasing the success rate there.Move the sticks,cross the line,do that well and all the other stuff is a mute argument.Glad i'm not a coach
                                Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-08-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X