Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Anyone know the area of the old screen vs. the area of the new screen or the dimensions of the old vs the dimensions of the new? From the pictures, it looks to me like the new screen is at least twice as large.
    This is not a fact but hearsay, but I believe
    I was told it is very close to 4 times the screen area. ( in this case Square footage)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      There is a concern that finishing of the structure under the bleachers on the east side, may not be completed by the time of the first game, particularly the bathrooms. It would probably not be a major problem, depending on the size of the crowd for the first game.
      I'm guessing there are contractor penalties written into the contract if this indeed does happen, correct? If so, somebody at SDSU should be collecting a check for each day it's late. That money could go back into the project to put in some of the details, furnishings, etc. that always get cut out at the end due to budgets.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        I'm guessing there are contractor penalties written into the contract if this indeed does happen, correct? If so, somebody at SDSU should be collecting a check for each day it's late. That money could go back into the project to put in some of the details, furnishings, etc. that always get cut out at the end due to budgets.

That's one way to look at it. The goal is to end up with a great project, within budget and delivered on time. Looking at the pics of the standing water and reading about the pumps it appears that there may be a reason (possibly 1 of several), other than contractor negligence, that we are behind the curve. Good projects succeed if the owner, the engineer and the contractor work together, communicating, as a team. Adversary works for our JD friends but not in the construction industry IMO. No one wants the project to succeed more than the contractor. unfortunately , he is the one that has to play the hand he is dealt!
        I believe the team is working hard to have the project operational by kickoff. I bet several are members of the community and they and their families have to use the port a pottys also! Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          That's one way to look at it. The goal is to end up with a great project, within budget and delivered on time. Looking at the pics of the standing water and reading about the pumps it appears that there may be a reason (possibly 1 of several), other than contractor negligence, that we are behind the curve. Good projects succeed if the owner, the engineer and the contractor work together, communicating, as a team. Adversary works for our JD friends but not in the construction industry IMO. No one wants the project to succeed more than the contractor. unfortunately , he is the one that has to play the hand he is dealt!
          I believe the team is working hard to have the project operational by kickoff. I bet several are members of the community and they and their families have to use the port a pottys also! Go Jacks!!
          All good points as well! I was just thinking that if this is due to Contractor delay, we don't just do SD nice and say "it will finish when it will finish" without some type of compensation. With the number of folks entering the stadium on Sept. 12, and it being such a public project, it would obviously be ideal if it was in a finished state - especially since one half of it won't be by nature of the timeline. Those first impressions will go a long ways into bringing non-season ticket holders back for additional games or commitments in the future.

It will be interesting to see the yet to be finished stadium in use on August 28th, September 4th and September 11th. Brookings has home games all three of those Fridays prior to the Jacks opening it up on September 12th.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            Sounds like the construction is being delayed because of the project being quite a bit over budget. Contractor and Athletics can't agree on what to cut to get it under so the contractor hasn't started. Not good news at all.
            Weird... I mentioned this on 12/22. I hate when I'm right.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I did a little mini-tour yesterday on my way back from Watertown. As impressive as this is going to be, I couldn't help but think to myself....Wow, there is still a long ways to go to have this game ready in a few weeks.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                All good points as well! I was just thinking that if this is due to Contractor delay, we don't just do SD nice and say "it will finish when it will finish" without some type of compensation. With the number of folks entering the stadium on Sept. 12, and it being such a public project, it would obviously be ideal if it was in a finished state - especially since one half of it won't be by nature of the timeline. Those first impressions will go a long ways into bringing non-season ticket holders back for additional games or commitments in the future.

It will be interesting to see the yet to be finished stadium in use on August 28th, September 4th and September 11th. Brookings has home games all three of those Fridays prior to the Jacks opening it up on September 12th.
                I'm all for treating contractors how they need to be treated, if they are at fault, they will pay the penalty, however if the delay is because they started late because of budget dispute, or if its because of unusually large amounts of rain), then I can understand giving them a little bit of a break. I'd rather for them to be a little behind schedule then to have it rushed and repairs have to be made in 5-7 years.

Comment

Has anyone heard anything about a plan to bring the port a potties back for the October 3rd game?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    I'm all for treating contractors how they need to be treated, if they are at fault, they will pay the penalty, however if the delay is because they started late because of budget dispute, or if its because of unusually large amounts of rain), then I can understand giving them a little bit of a break. I'd rather for them to be a little behind schedule then to have it rushed and repairs have to be made in 5-7 years.
                    Thus, why I included, "if this is due to contractor delay".

I doubt it is, unless they severely underestimated the time needed to complete the project in their bidding/staffing. Their folks are working well past 5pm everyday and most Saturdays the past few months.

Comment

I thought this was a construction-manager-at-risk project? If so, doesn't that move budget overages to the construction manager?
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

They are painting the lines on the field today. It's getting closer!!!
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Lots of cleaning up going on these days. Most of the wrought iron fence is up on the concourse underneath the new bleachers, and construction on the Southeast Ticket booth is finished, but work to do on the inside yet. Most of the grading work is done on the east parking lot (where the old practice field was located). The student entrance on the southwest corner is being cleaned up and gravel put down, and work continues on the west side structure, to frame in the area where the main ticket booths will be located this fall.

As far as the bathrooms go, I did notice a couple of hours ago that a large semi loaded with American Standard boxes was being unloaded. Hopefully, with things starting to shape up, the next two weeks will see additional work force available to finish up before the first game. And since there is an open date after the first game, a few more weeks will be available before the second game of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            Lots of cleaning up going on these days. Most of the wrought iron fence is up on the concourse underneath the new bleachers, and construction on the Southeast Ticket booth is finished, but work to do on the inside yet. Most of the grading work is done on the east parking lot (where the old practice field was located). The student entrance on the southwest corner is being cleaned up and gravel put down, and work continues on the west side structure, to frame in the area where the main ticket booths will be located this fall.

As far as the bathrooms go, I did notice a couple of hours ago that a large semi loaded with American Standard boxes was being unloaded. Hopefully, with things starting to shape up, the next two weeks will see additional work force available to finish up before the first game. And since there is an open date after the first game, a few more weeks will be available before the second game of the season.
                            Really appreciate these updates.

Comment

Most of you know this, but I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the Brookings Bobcats have three home FB games before we play our first game (starting this Friday night). Assume that is part of the reason they have been working to get the field ready to play and the markings applied.

Comment

OK...under cover of darkness, I explored the progress on the restrooms. There are two men's and two women's restrooms on the east side. One women's restroom is finished, except for installation of the stall walls. One men's room is about 50% complete. The plumbing is done in all four, except for the hookups. Looks to me right now that they will be finished in time for the first game. The concession stands have quite a bit of work left...but since there seems to be very little else left to do, I would assume there will be rapid closure on most of the infrastructure in the next two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X