New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

It seems to me, having been in my fair share of stadiums (or, for you pedants, "stadia") that the fully enclosed Dykhouse Stadium will indeed feel more intimate than Coughlin-Alumni, even with the seats being somewhat further spread out. The sound of the crowd will be much, much, MUCH more contained between the SJAC and the upgraded scoreboard to the south, the massive grandstand structure going up to the west, and the fully-enclosed seats along the eastern and southern sides. It will make a crowd of 3,000 sound more like 10,000 and a crowd of 10,000 sound like 30,000, I suspect.

My guess is that we'll start hearing complaints from some of the old guard about how very loud the new stadium is compared to the old one.

You can't win with some people.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I've heard others complain that the field will be too far away. I've been able to be on the field with the new east bleachers and they seem to be as close as they were before. I don't think 5 feet further back will/should make much of a difference on the west side either. I have heard people are giving up season tickets because they feel walk up tickets will be in supply. Just ask some Bison fans their thoughts on that idea. They have people give to their athletic department and still can't get season tickets. Wake up jacks fans. This will be one of the best FCS stadiums in the country. There has to be much larger reasons for not getting season tickets than blaming a new stadium.

Comment

Until it is finished either way good or bad it will a lot of guessing what it will actually be like. The amenities like concessions and restrooms will be great change. The steep the bleachers are compared to what fans are use too or the seats going well past the endzone will take some fans time to get use too. Not that they are bad seats. Me personally would rather be row 30ish or go a little higher then having a seat that is lined un with the endzone but closer. We got rid of season tickets due to the cost for a family of 4. I am interested in the ticket package they have this year for 3 games I think it is. Those sort of efforts will help get us to the games. I would love to keep season tickets but the way I see it most games will probably have good availability of tickets most years and I usually know which games I can make so I can get them early enough that season tickets might not be as important to have.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          From Zimmer's blog "Even just with what's completed already you can sense that it will be a much more intimate setting, and fans should feel closer to the action".

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. In fact, I would make the case that most fans are going to feel farther from the action as compared to the current setup at CAS, which is just one of the many reasons why I did not renew my season tickets this year.
          I have enjoyed football games at Coughlin from the mid-1980's to present. It is one of my favorite places to spend a fall day, but Dykhouse stadium will be a premier sports venue in the region. Enough said.

The game day experience will be like nothing we have ever seen in this area, and first and foremost this means the fans. Some may wish for $10 to $15 tickets again, but then you would still be sitting (or standing of you are not one of the lucky 11,000 who got a seat) in a $15 per seat stadium.

The amenities and atmosphere in Dykhouse are going to be top notch and will simply be worth a higher ticket price. The bonus is that there will still be very reasonably priced options in the stadium.

I can't friggin' wait...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

This old guard guy is pleased as punch so far.

Comment

Originally posted by gobigblue View Post
              I've heard others complain that the field will be too far away. I've been able to be on the field with the new east bleachers and they seem to be as close as they were before. I don't think 5 feet further back will/should make much of a difference on the west side either. I have heard people are giving up season tickets because they feel walk up tickets will be in supply. Just ask some Bison fans their thoughts on that idea. They have people give to their athletic department and still can't get season tickets. Wake up jacks fans. This will be one of the best FCS stadiums in the country. There has to be much larger reasons for not getting season tickets than blaming a new stadium.
              I don't think we will have a problem with walk up tickets unless we play the Bison. Even when we play USD(unless the game means something), I don't see a ticket problem. Possible a Hobo day game or a USD game every once in a while but not very often.

I just think the prices might be getting too high for people with families. If you make $15/hour, you can't take a whole family to every game. If you are going to be gone for one or two games, you can't really afford it either. There might be one game you might not be able to get ticket to but that's it. I do think that there are cheaper seats that maybe you could get but you don't need to with the extra seating.

I know that YSU did beat us last year so that wasn't the best example but I've heard other people worry/complain about playing on grass but I just thought that I could find that quote easier. I've even heard USC complain that Notre Dame doesn't cut their grass short enough so some people do worry about it. It probably doesn't matter and I said that "if" the field was better, I wouldn't mind playing on grass but we can't guarantee that the field would be in good shape.

Comment

I do not know how a Jacks fan could be unhappy about this stadium, the place looks great. The club level package prices are similar to regular seats in the Fargodome between the 40's. The only difference is the "PSL's" the University is sticking you with which are worth it if you can afford club seats. Hopefully for SDSU's sake the added revenue will entice your AD to outbid some of these Big Sky schools for playoff games.

Comment

From Zimmer's blog "Even just with what's completed already you can sense that it will be a much more intimate setting, and fans should feel closer to the action".

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. In fact, I would make the case that most fans are going to feel farther from the action as compared to the current setup at CAS, which is just one of the many reasons why I did not renew my season tickets this year.
                  we will miss you...

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    This old guard guy is pleased as punch so far.
                    Turns out that some of the "old guard" can actually be rather young . . .

**EDIT** This comes dangerously close to "discussing posters, not posts." I denounce myself, and slink off to the SDSUFans.com Naughty Spot over there in the corner.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Pictures from 2 weeks ago that the board would not let me upload through my phone.20150706_135615[1].jpg20150706_135620[1].jpg20150706_135629[1].jpg20150706_135645[1].jpg20150706_135637[1].jpg

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          Poor TK.

Comment

With the east side enclosures under the bleachers finished (outside, not inside the rooms), work is going hot and heavy this morning on the south end enclosures (on both sides of the already-finished center band room). Expect most of that will be done by week's end.

Always sorry to lose any season ticket holders, but I assume that the "many other reasons" was the real reason TK didn't renew. Certainly availability will be greater, so won't be a problem in the "early" years of the new stadium. Guess I value having the same seats each game, and building the priority points that come with season tickets, which provides fans with better seating possibilities in future years, as a worthwhile effort.

Like several other commenters...I CAN'T WAIT for the "kickoff" of 2015-16 Jackrabbit athletics!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                              I do not know how a Jacks fan could be unhappy about this stadium, the place looks great. The club level package prices are similar to regular seats in the Fargodome between the 40's. The only difference is the "PSL's" the University is sticking you with which are worth it if you can afford club seats. Hopefully for SDSU's sake the added revenue will entice your AD to outbid some of these Big Sky schools for playoff games.
                              This. Its crazy to think CAS didn't need a MAJOR renovation. I don't know how you can complain about this new stadium.

As for prices, season tickets should be available at nearly equal or potentially reduced prices as compared to the last few years. They are also offering different ticket packages limited to 3 or 4 games. There will be many more seating options. It will depend upon what the market will sustain.

Certainly club level and above are much more expensive and for those with more disposable income then the average family. That's a necessary part of funding the stadium and also something the most generous boosters expect.

These are all positives. This new stadium is a huge step forward. We should all be celebrating. (I don't like the fact I can't stand on the east side anymore but hey, its progress)
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                                Always sorry to lose any season ticket holders, but I assume that the "many other reasons" was the real reason TK didn't renew.
                                Thank you Keith. I'm shocked to see someone use some logical thinking on this board.

It's rather disgusting to see several posters read between the lines, put words in my mouth, etc........moderators included. You guys suck. That's par for the course for an internet message board.

For the record, I am 100% in support of the new stadium........even though everyone here tells me I think otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X