• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

I yield to 2002jack.

Comment

It can only be an improvement over what we have. I don't have a clue but am willing to my part in helping.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        Did it ever occur to you that some of us "know it alls" might actually design multi million dollar construction projects for a living, and might just have some sort of flipping clue of what we are talking about?

KULAWJACK - Are we going to drill every team that comes into the DDS?
        Somebody asked me the other day why they didn't just combine the money and build an indoor football stadium that could be used for a practice facility. I told them that I really didn't know for sure. I know there are many reasons like they like playing outside, this way the can expand the stadium, they can use the practice facility for other things without "setting up", etc... but can somebody tell me the exact reason(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          Somebody asked me the other day why they didn't just combine the money and build an indoor football stadium that could be used for a practice facility. I told them that I really didn't know for sure. I know there are many reasons like they like playing outside, this way the can expand the stadium, they can use the practice facility for other things without "setting up", etc... but can somebody tell me the exact reason(s)?
          Football was meant to be played outside.

But honestly if we had an indoor stadium we would have better attendance forsure. No excuse for all those fair weather fans we have.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm guessing that an enclosed stadium that seats 18,000+ people and is expandable costs much more than an indoor practice facility plus an outdoor stadium, not to mention the annual operating costs to keep it heated/cooled etc.

Sioux Falls is spending about $110M for a 12,000 seat arena. I imagine an 18,000 seat venue would be another 50% more.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
              For the record, I just completed a remodel of my basement bathroom, so I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the design/construction process. I also am very good at Madden football, and that allows me to understand and comment on the dynamics of play calling and quarterbacking.
              I also play minecraft and the various Civilization computer games so design is clearly my forte as well. I also coached several TECMO Bowl players.......
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                Just my guess: Several reasons: 1) most would prefer outdoor football (who is most? most of what group? ); 2) by having an outdoor stadium, we have the ability to expand seating significantly with relatively little cost (e.g. UND, USD and NDSU have little room to expand the facilities they play in...NDSU in particular could benefit from more seating); 3) if we had one facility for all purposes, some of the other sports would not have the same training opportunities as they should have with the new indoor facility and the outdoor stadium; 4) biggest guess: overall cost savings by having an outdoor stadium for football.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                  I also play minecraft and the various Civilization computer games so design is clearly my forte as well. I also coached several TECMO Bowl players.......
                  Who do you think you are? Bo Jackson didn't need any coaching!!! He could run end zone to end zone without your help. Plus, choosing from 8 different plays (4 run, 4 pass) on every down does not make you a qualified play-caller.

I kid, I kid.

Comment

Per Terry tweet:

‏@TerryVandrovec
                    Per SDSU Alumni Association president Matt Fuks, the Board of Regents today approved the facility program plan for the football stadium.

@TerryVandrovec
                    Next step in the process is getting full approval at the Dec. meeting. Fundraising and/or formulating a plan to repay bonds central in that.

Comment

Everyday more and more good news seems to come out about our stadium. It is amazing how fast this process is going, a couple of months ago I would've never thought we could potentially be playing in a new stadium anytime soon, now it is going to be in 2 or 3 seasons. I love how aggressive Sell and Chicoine have gotten recently with all of our campus additions.

Comment

I don't want to take the thread off topic. The following link is just for the sake of comparison. Here's an artist's rendition of a 50,000-seat domed stadium for Jackson State University.
                        Jackson State is a school of about 9200 students and is a historically black university. It's located in Jackson, Mississippi, the state capital and largest city in the state, having a metro population of nearly 570,000. It's projected cost is $200 million.

http://www.jsums.edu/dome

Inside, set up for basketball:
                        http://www.jsums.edu/dome/images/

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          I don't want to take the thread off topic. The following link is just for the sake of comparison. Here's an artist's rendition of a 50,000-seat domed stadium for Jackson State University.
                          Jackson State is a school of about 9200 students and is a historically black university. It's located in Jackson, Mississippi, the state capital and largest city in the state, having a metro population of nearly 570,000. It's projected cost is $200 million.

This is interesting, and the JSU facility serves multi-purposes. With our outdoor facility, maybe 6 or 7 home games, and after that it does pretty much stand empty. That is one of the drawbacks of building outdoors when with our climate some sort of domed facility would give opportunities for other uses. JSU is Walter Payton's alma mater I believe. Big question is, could we justify to BOR the additional issue of bonds amounting to about 140 million?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            This is interesting, and the JSU facility serves multi-purposes. With our outdoor facility, maybe 6 or 7 home games, and after that it does pretty much stand empty. That is one of the drawbacks of building outdoors when with our climate some sort of domed facility would give opportunities for other uses. JSU is Walter Payton's alma mater I believe. Big question is, could we justify to BOR the additional issue of bonds amounting to about 140 million?
                            The JSU facility would not be practical for us. I personally feel the direction we're taking is just right.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

As with all domes,it's a terrible facility for basketball. Kind of interesting, they are looking at 14 different revenue streams, one of which is funding from the state. Never happen here. I'm happy with what SDSU is proposing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Probably the biggest reason an indoor stadium is not feasible for SDSU is maintenance and operational costs.

Think of the Alerus Center in Grand Forks and how much money it loses (I don't have the figures, but I'm sure a knowledgeable Bison fan would love to enlighten us ), and that is way smaller than what we need. Remember, the bigger you make it, the higher the cost of maintaining it.

The Fargodome manages to turn a profit every year, but they need to fill it with trade shows and concerts to do it. Bison football is the main tenant, but most of the other NDSU programs get very few chances to use it. SDSU needs a facility that all athletic programs can use on a regular basis that is affordable to maintain, hence the indoor practice facility. Plus, Brookings is a college town (one of the reasons I love the place), not a city, so competing with Sioux Falls for large conventions and concerts is a sure way to lose money.
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X