Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I just dont like corporate sponsor names at the college level. To many people important to the university are overlooked just because they didnt have millions to donate. Frankly most of this wouldnt be happening or moving a long this fast or having us being D-1 if it wasnt for Peggy. So it would be a fitting tribute to the person who had the vision and dedication to see it happen because she beleived in us when often we didnt even beleive in ouselfs. Peggy Miller Stadium has a ring to it, but I didnt have a couple million around to offer my opinion. I think the tradition of coughlin is worthy to keep as much as some think its only fitting to bestow a name because its attached to money. Whats important is that Dykhouse is a SDSU guy all the way. Naming the engineering hall after Lohr is great since he has proven to be an SDSU guy for many years.

Could you imagine if Alabama had a corporate sponor give enough to update the stadium and name it Ebay park or Paypal stadium, something like that. it just seems wrong. Oddly enough It was originally Denny stadium after their president then added Bryant to it making it Bryant Denny stadium after remodeling and upgrades and additions happened to the origional stadium.

I know we arent Alabama or BCS or a tradition of greatness like they have, but the idea you can honor the past and present in away that works.
    If you were in Lincoln you saw that the corporate culture plays a huge part in making everything go. That is the same at any major university.

We are very blessed to have people that are able and willing to get involved with SDSU like Dana Dykehouse. He has taken on many challenges for the university and has been a champion for them all.

It has been mentioned that Coughlin will be incorporated into things at a later date and that is proper.

Bottom line is we can now build this thing. There won't be any more saying that our facilities are way behind anyone in the FCS. Actually, we will be the envy of all other FCS programs. What has happened at SDSU since going D-1 is truly unique and special. This isn't usually the way things go.

I do have to say that we should still bring in some Port-O-Lets for the Bison fans when they come to visit. They feel at home in those things.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      If you were in Lincoln you saw that the corporate culture plays a huge part in making everything go. That is the same at any major university.

We are very blessed to have people that are able and willing to get involved with SDSU like Dana Dykehouse. He has taken on many challenges for the university and has been a champion for them all.

It has been mentioned that Coughlin will be incorporated into things at a later date and that is proper.

Bottom line is we can now build this thing. There won't be any more saying that our facilities are way behind anyone in the FCS. Actually, we will be the envy of all other FCS programs. What has happened at SDSU since going D-1 is truly unique and special. This isn't usually the way things go.

I do have to say that we should still bring in some Port-O-Lets for the Bison fans when they come to visit. They feel at home in those things.

SUPERBUNNY
      No question corporate sponsors are huge, but put up adds and signage is fine for as many who want to donate and support the efforts of SDSU. Just certain things I think are worthing of SDSU honors, like building names, or sports venues.

Considering Dykhouse has his name featured right on the DSAC and such but I dont mind or have any problems with him getting his name on the stadium so i would be bummed if we lost the coughlin connection which i am glad to hear it will stay in someway or form apparently. As long as the naming of buildings and sports venues will be people with strong connections that univsersity.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        It's named as it is, because Denny Sanford gave $10 million dollars at the request of Dana Dykhouse, the Dykhouse family pitched in with $2.5 million of their own, and Denny Sanford earned the naming right for the stadium and wanted it named Dana J. Dykhouse stadium. I am continually amazed at the comments that jump up, about...I would name it something else, or I want it to stay Coughlin Alumni Stadium, or whatever. Dana Dykhouse and Denny Sanford provided the $6 million for the Dykhnouse Athletic Center at the north end of the field (that's a total of $18.5 million for the football facilities) and Mr. Sanford didn't ask that either one be named Sanford Athletic facility or stadium. He did it in Dana's honor. And Dana has been influential in a lot more than just this foray and has earned the right. Just as Jerry Lohr was honored this past weekend by the naming of the Jerry Lohr College of Engineering, that honor was earned by Jerry's lead donations and leadership in getting the remaining funds for five different College of Engineering buildings. End of rant on that end (and BTW, Justin Sell indicated they were going to do something to work the Coughlin Alumni name into the facility in a proper place). I get really worked up over people who look a gift horse in the mouth and want to put the animal down!

And two final notes: for those who expressed alarm at "moving the stadium way back from the field", Justin Sell also said those facts were not correct and wanted me to let others know that the plans seen so far were preliminary "concept" drawings and everybody should just wait until the work is done which will be presented to the Regents in December. Also, the field will be turf and if and when the high school uses the stadium, playing on the turf the night before certainly is not a problem.

I share with Nidaros the fact that I wasn't certain I would live long enough to see the indoor practice (and competition for track and field) facility and/or a new football stadium. Anything can happen of course, but I hope and believe I am going to get that opportunity!!! Glory hallaluyah!!
        Well said, #1Fan. And thanks for adding the comments about Justin Sell saying the plans viewed so far are preliminary. (Some know-it-alls want to dispute that too.) The facility is going to be one that the entire State will be proud of and, in my opinion, naming it after great supporter Dana Dykhouse is very appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          It's named as it is, because Denny Sanford gave $10 million dollars at the request of Dana Dykhouse, the Dykhouse family pitched in with $2.5 million of their own, and Denny Sanford earned the naming right for the stadium and wanted it named Dana J. Dykhouse stadium. I am continually amazed at the comments that jump up, about...I would name it something else, or I want it to stay Coughlin Alumni Stadium, or whatever. Dana Dykhouse and Denny Sanford provided the $6 million for the Dykhnouse Athletic Center at the north end of the field (that's a total of $18.5 million for the football facilities) and Mr. Sanford didn't ask that either one be named Sanford Athletic facility or stadium. He did it in Dana's honor. And Dana has been influential in a lot more than just this foray and has earned the right. Just as Jerry Lohr was honored this past weekend by the naming of the Jerry Lohr College of Engineering, that honor was earned by Jerry's lead donations and leadership in getting the remaining funds for five different College of Engineering buildings. End of rant on that end (and BTW, Justin Sell indicated they were going to do something to work the Coughlin Alumni name into the facility in a proper place). I get really worked up over people who look a gift horse in the mouth and want to put the animal down!

And two final notes: for those who expressed alarm at "moving the stadium way back from the field", Justin Sell also said those facts were not correct and wanted me to let others know that the plans seen so far were preliminary "concept" drawings and everybody should just wait until the work is done which will be presented to the Regents in December. Also, the field will be turf and if and when the high school uses the stadium, playing on the turf the night before certainly is not a problem.

I share with Nidaros the fact that I wasn't certain I would live long enough to see the indoor practice (and competition for track and field) facility and/or a new football stadium. Anything can happen of course, but I hope and believe I am going to get that opportunity!!! Glory hallaluyah!!
          Thanks for the Update! I know you and I specifically talked about this at tailgating. and I am relieved to hear they understand the concerns in this area. I understand the turf issue. I just don't like it or have enough money to "make my voice count" well at least not enough to impose my will. I'm sure it will be nice and will reduce weather issues and cleat issues when we travel.

Comment

TV has most recent plans for the new stadium. Nice read with pictures too.
            http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda...October/14.pdf
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Have the talked about where they would put the student section and marching band and visitors? I would assume the vistor section will stay around the same area, I would like to see the band stay in the south endzone just so they can be heard well around the whole stadium, but would actually like to see the students move to the east side across from where they are now so they can hopefully create a noise or home feel by being close to the visitors sidelines.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Have the talked about where they would put the student section and marching band and visitors? I would assume the vistor section will stay around the same area, I would like to see the band stay in the south endzone just so they can be heard well around the whole stadium, but would actually like to see the students move to the east side across from where they are now so they can hopefully create a noise or home feel by being close to the visitors sidelines.
                Visitors will be in same general area. Visitors locker room will be located in NE corner (below Visitors Section).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Well said, #1Fan. And thanks for adding the comments about Justin Sell saying the plans viewed so far are preliminary. (Some know-it-alls want to dispute that too.) The facility is going to be one that the entire State will be proud of and, in my opinion, naming it after great supporter Dana Dykhouse is very appropriate.
                  Did it ever occur to you that some of us "know it alls" might actually design multi million dollar construction projects for a living, and might just have some sort of flipping clue of what we are talking about?

KULAWJACK - Are we going to drill every team that comes into the DDS?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

I'm thinking about calling it the DDS (dentist)... Perhaps this could gain some traction. I like the drilling of opponents angle. I also think that the namesake is a good enough chap to see and appreciate the humor of this.

Comment

Did it ever occur to you that some of us "know it alls" might actually design multi million dollar construction projects for a living, and might just have some sort of flipping clue of what we are talking about?

The sky is the limit on slogans for the new stadium....most probably not all that appropriate. For instance, replacing DDS in your slogan above with the nickname you proposed.

Comment

... so they can hopefully create a noise or home feel by being close to the visitors sidelines.
                        Or go the Georgia Southern route and put the band and the student section directly behind the visitor's bench. (I'm not advocating for that, btw.)
                        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Just a curiosity question (and probably one I know the answer too...$$$) but is there a reason other than money that they didn't enclose the entire east enzone bowl instead of leaving that one section open?

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                            Just a curiosity question (and probably one I know the answer too...$$$) but is there a reason other than money that they didn't enclose the entire east enzone bowl instead of leaving that one section open?
                            I think or assume becasue its getting built in stages for some reason I don't know how or why but probably hard to connect(money wise). Maybe engineer on the site can explain the pros and cons.

Comment

Did it ever occur to you that some of us "know it alls" might actually design multi million dollar construction projects for a living, and might just have some sort of flipping clue of what we are talking about?...
                              The answer to your question is "yes". In this case, however, there were some posters who, irrespective of their professional backgrounds, seemed to insist on facts which were not accurate. While I wouldn't go so far as to say such posters were without a clue, it did appear that some of the posters did not have the facts. There are others who post on this board who were aware the plans being displayed up to that point were in the nature of preliminary or conceptual drawings. (I recognize we may have a definitional problem in what is "preliminary" or "conceptual" -- no question the drawings establish some planning goals in terms of boxes, seating, general location of amenities etc. etc..) Some have followed the process more than others as the stadium plan has worked its way through the legislature and then back to the regents. The plans to watch for, as pointed out by Jacks#1Fan reporting comments from the AD, will be those presented to the regents at the December meeting. Assuming Regents approve in December, the next significant event will be the issuance of bonds by the SD Building Authority to bring in the funds and construction can start.

The website of the Board of Regents provides copies of meeting agendas with information provided to the Regents for the meetings. Watch for the December meeting agenda and the attachments to the agenda. You can view the current meeting (Oct 8-10) agenda with attachments including information about SDSU's stadium -- I think T Vandrovec linked to some of the drawings from the October meeting agenda. The website's address is: http://www.sdbor.edu/

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                The answer to your question is "yes". In this case, however, there were some posters who, irrespective of their professional backgrounds, seemed to insist on facts which were not accurate. While I wouldn't go so far as to say such posters were without a clue, it did appear that some of the posters did not have the facts. There are others who post on this board who were aware the plans being displayed up to that point were in the nature of preliminary or conceptual drawings. (I recognize we may have a definitional problem in what is "preliminary" or "conceptual" -- no question the drawings establish some planning goals in terms of boxes, seating, general location of amenities etc. etc..) Some have followed the process more than others as the stadium plan has worked its way through the legislature and then back to the regents. The plans to watch for, as pointed out by Jacks#1Fan reporting comments from the AD, will be those presented to the regents at the December meeting. Assuming Regents approve in December, the next significant event will be the issuance of bonds by the SD Building Authority to bring in the funds and construction can start.

The website of the Board of Regents provides copies of meeting agendas with information provided to the Regents for the meetings. Watch for the December meeting agenda and the attachments to the agenda. You can view the current meeting (Oct 8-10) agenda with attachments including information about SDSU's stadium -- I think T Vandrovec linked to some of the drawings from the October meeting agenda. The website's address is: http://www.sdbor.edu/
                                For the record, I just completed a remodel of my basement bathroom, so I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the design/construction process. I also am very good at Madden football, and that allows me to understand and comment on the dynamics of play calling and quarterbacking.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X