Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: beef bowl game day

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    Next year, for season tickets, Can I get in with a group from here that actually cheers/claps/yells during the game? I gotta get out of my section. Thank goodness I at least got aisle seats along the far north aisle so I stand and yell the entire game anyway, but man alive, I don't know why half the people even come to the game. It's not as bad when it's SE LA or Butler, but it's going to be embarrassing in two weeks when what..2000 bison fans out-do 15000 Jack fans in our place, and yes, it's going to happen.

I just need to get with some other people who want to be a part of the atmosphere.
    You can come sit with us rowdy in section D next to the students. we cheer the whole game and seem to start a great majority of the chants/yells.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
      Where exactly was that section... you know the one that was yelling and cheering?
      That would be upper F (rows 28 and up)! We get the crowd going every 3rd down for the opponents. Pretty proud of them. Of course lower F doesn't follow suit, but it is definitely a much older contingency.

As for the SELA game, Bennett may have thrown two pick 6s at the end, but the posters nailed it when they attributed that to the defensive pressure led by Doug Peete, and the urgency of the final moments. IMO, Bennett will be the best quarterback we will see at Coughlin this year. I would stack him up against Martinez anytime. Unlike the poster who earlier said it was easy to understand why he left Oregon, because of his "poor" play, I think he would be outstanding if surrounded by the #2 Ducks players. The fact is that he got beat out last year by Hawaiian redshirt freshman Marcus Mariota, who last night threw for 456 yards and 4 touchdowns as Oregon thrashed Tennessee 56-14. Bennett made some mistakes but they were insignificant compared to the undisciplined play of his teammates that resulted in huge penalties at crucial times. Bottomline...our guys never gave up and beat an improved team with lots of beef up front and a good quarterback, to go 3-0. Very happy to be able to say that !!

Comment

Congrats on the "W" Jacks! No injuries I hope?!

Comment

One play that sticks out is the short throw, long run by ZZ. They had that play in the first quarter and Sumner missed it. The coaches did not. They went back to it and he was wide open again. This sparked the TD drive in the 1st half and gave the Jacks some life.

Turnovers kill. The Jacks are now +12 on the year in the category. This has been a key component in NDSU & SHSU's road to the title game the last two years. They both have been near, or at, the top in the country in turnover margin. Keep winning the turnover battle and this will keep them in front on the scoreboard.

Comment

I'm just not sure what to say about yesterday. We won. But we are going to have to play much, much better in the weeks to come...better to contend for a conference crown. The defense is especially perplexing. You shouldn't complain about a gang that has six turnovers. But those 500 yards are unacceptable. We're very suspect to the pass. At times, they had all day to pass. At times, we really flustered them. Some bad QB decisions (and lots of penalties) saved our bacon. Offense was also hit and miss. Their massive line made it tough to get much running going. We did just enough. Our receivers couldn't get separation. That was part of the reason Austin didn't have a great game. (They picked up our WR's at the line, we played theirs 12 yards off the line. Mostly, I think that speaks to our speed...or lack thereof, especially concerning our WRs. Their cover men were not concerned about getting beat. But, it's also a scheme thing. We have always played that soft pass coverage. And it's kind of always drove me nuts. Anyhow...) But Austin also missed guys high regularly, including one that would have been a TD and on the two-point conversion attempt. Jeckyll and Hyde all around on O and D. I don't think that's going to cut it against NDSU and Northern Iowa and certainly not against Nebraska. I think we made some good adjustments in the second half and, the opening defensive series notwithstanding, played fairly well, though not really great.

And then there is special teams. They remain, for the third consecutive year, an abject disaster (aside from the kickers). Is there something worse that an abject disaster? Year three, I tell you. Three years ago, Moore took over that post. Not a coincidence. He needs to go. I won't beat around the bush. He needs to be gone. I assume Stig can see these ongoing problems. I know he's a loyal guy, but a change has to be made with special teams.

One last thing. In the post-game, Stig said we played "championship football." I get what me means...no turnovers for us and we took six away, plus the penalty situation. But I have to take issue with yesterday being championship football. As I've said, too much inconsistency. I liked how we bounced back and righted the ship. But we have work to do. And we'll find out how much very, very soon. I do think SEL is going to have a solid season. And I'm happy with 3-0. But, there is certainly room for some considerable improvement.
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

One thing that really irritates me is that our coaches have to stand in line coming down the stairs for halftime. Can't we fix that with security or something? Either that or I nominate JacksFan#1 to be the resident "Everybody Move!" yeller ala Andre the Giant in Princess Bride.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                Unlike the poster who earlier said it was easy to understand why he left Oregon, because of his "poor" play, I think he would be outstanding if surrounded by the #2 Ducks players. The fact is that he got beat out last year by Hawaiian redshirt freshman Marcus Mariota, who last night threw for 456 yards and 4 touchdowns as Oregon thrashed Tennessee 56-14.
                Bennett made poor decisions, regardless of the defensive pressure. You dont ever throw into triple coverage unless it is hail mary time. Throw it away, take the sack, or run. That's just not going to fly at a top level FBS program like Oregon. Speaking of defensive pressure, I didn't notice us getting any pressure when we only brought 4. I only saw the pressure come with blitzes.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                  Speaking of defensive pressure, I didn't notice us getting any pressure when we only brought 4. I only saw the pressure come with blitzes.
                  Really? I don't remember us blitzing much at all and do remember us flushing or getting pressure quite a bit with our front four. Plote had a sack, Peugh had a sack and some hurries, and Peete was chasing their QB all night long.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    Really? I don't remember us blitzing much at all and do remember us flushing or getting pressure quite a bit with our front four. Plote had a sack, Peugh had a sack and some hurries, and Peete was chasing their QB all night long.
                    Lally got into the backfeild alot,blitzing or not.

But,our front 4 the second half,put a ton of pressure on their OL,backing them up.QB's sense that and it makes them nervous.
                    It was a war zone in the trenches on each snap.Hats off to the Jacks for fighting hard the whole game.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                      One thing that really irritates me is that our coaches have to stand in line coming down the stairs for halftime. Can't we fix that with security or something? Either that or I nominate JacksFan#1 to be the resident "Everybody Move!" yeller ala Andre the Giant in Princess Bride.
                      For the low, low price of $100-200M, this shiny new state-of-the-art re-built stadium can be yours! But wait! There's More! If you donate $1M in the next 5 minutes, we'll throw in this express Elevator For The Assistant Coaches, taking them direct from the ground level up to the coaches' box!

(I guess we could have them scramble up and down a rope ladder . . . or one of those fire escape chute ladder thingies . . . )
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

One thing that I love is we are 3-0 with a the best running back in fcs. And we get to complain about it. Apparently as a fan base we have come along way.

Our defensive mentality is bend but don't break. When you give up big plays but don't give up big touchdowns is fine with me. I would love to see tight coverage on the line in the pass game but when the way you are doing it gives up some yards that's bad but defense that creates 12 turnovers. That's great. We aren't playing great and our 3-0. I have no reason to think we can't fix what's needs fixing.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          Yes good win! All wins are. SELA certainly has athletic talent. Fortunately State has athletic talent also, Doug Peete is a beast, ZZ ran away from the DBs for the long TD. Also, State played smarter. In second half it appeared our DBs new where the ball was going and nearly had a couple more picks.

Return team needs to improve.

From my seat on north end it looked like the SELA return for TD was sprung by an illegal block. Anyone on the south end see that? No matter. Good win.
                          Looked like a big block in the back getting pushed out... from where I was. But for the most part, though the game was called well.

Comment

Not gonna comment on ST

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              One thing that I love is we are 3-0 with a the best running back in fcs. And we get to complain about it. Apparently as a fan base we have come along way.

Our defensive mentality is bend but don't break. When you give up big plays but don't give up big touchdowns is fine with me. I would love to see tight coverage on the line in the pass game but when the way you are doing it gives up some yards that's bad but defense that creates 12 turnovers. That's great. We aren't playing great and our 3-0. I have no reason to think we can't fix what's needs fixing.
                              While i haven't given up hope completely,i'm really questioning if they're going to get special teams fixed. Seems like forever that we've struggled in this area. Obviously i'm exaggerating,but it's really frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                                While i haven't given up hope completely,i'm really questioning if they're going to get special teams fixed. Seems like forever that we've struggled in this area. Obviously i'm exaggerating,but it's really frustrating.
                                Special teams for the most part butler was just fine and und wasn't horrible. Just other good ST will make us look bad. But the point is they are things that are fixable or should be fixable. We execute on offense and defense so its a bit odd we have those mental break downs on ST.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X