Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall Camp...

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    It was Punt Returns, not Kick-Off returns (just pulling your chain).
    Sh*t I don't know much at all about football, I just like to watch and if you guys like to arm chair, be my guest.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Where are our trick plays? They are probably written in German and well hidden.
      The details escape me, not sure if it was last year or the year before, but the one trick play I recall seeing was a halfback pass. I can't remember who threw it, or who the intended receiver was, but I believe the pass fluttered like a duck and was promptly intercepted.

I believe we were driving at the time and when that play stumbled there was a collective groan from the crowd. Probably why we haven't seen any trick plays since.

At the time, most of us "arm-chairs" agreed that it was a horrible playcall given the situation.

Anybody remember the details on that one?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
        1 more jackdaniel.
        How often do the jacks attempt such a play? my seat of the pants guess has us at; at least 50%.
        If you throw for 5 yds on 3rd and 15,you gotta run the other 10 yds for a first down.Hard to do,you have to have athletes who are very good receivers and runners after the catch,and the play has to be designed to be able to run the final 10 yds,maybe a key block or two?I really don't know how successful we are,because i'm not such an astute observer to detail like you guys are.Wish I could state differently,but my poor habits are firmly established i'm afraid.

I'm a big fan of well executed plays with superb blocking worked to perfection,like the 99 yd play at Kansas last year,everything went perfect.Had the defensive guys located where we wanted them so we could block them out,Zenner had great explosion to hit the hole at full throttle and get by the guys who would have had the angle to cut him off,and the rest is Jackrabbit history.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-08-2013, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          It seems most teams have some plays they keep for later in the year, dont show all your plays the first couple games just so they have something new to bring that a team cant scout for. New formations, or trick plays, not sure if its the coaching philosophy not to do that, but you could tell NDSU had a much better game plan, we didnt adjust to them very well yet they were sure ready for what we were doing. Then again, some teams have to use trick plays when their regular plays arent good or they just dont execute well. Ndsu knows you cant just show the same plays every game to expect to win, which sadly its not like they run a complicated offense, they execute well and show a few new things later in the year. our execution is getting better, but having a few new options might not hurt either. Its not like we have much to complain able since last year so us fans can get a little nit picky even when things are going very well.
          I think a short answer to all of this is that NDSU had a BYE week to prepare.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            The details escape me, not sure if it was last year or the year before, but the one trick play I recall seeing was a halfback pass. I can't remember who threw it, or who the intended receiver was, but I believe the pass fluttered like a duck and was promptly intercepted.

I believe we were driving at the time and when that play stumbled there was a collective groan from the crowd. Probably why we haven't seen any trick plays since.

At the time, most of us "arm-chairs" agreed that it was a horrible playcall given the situation.

Anybody remember the details on that one?
            Umm yeah i remember that it was when we were deep pinned down, going into the wind. I think the ball was for moss or rollin. minnett maybe threw it? I want to say ISU blue. that was pretty bad, all the way around. Maybe not so much trick plays but give more then 2 formations, one with 3 WR set wide and one power running set.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              I think a short answer to all of this is that NDSU had a BYE week to prepare.
              Even if we had 2 full weeks to prepare I dont really see that changing how thing went very much. it wasnt stuff that NDSU just decided during the bye week. They had a game plan IMO worked out all season. They knew what it would take to win the game and they were obviously better prepared and executed to match.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Umm yeah i remember that it was when we were deep pinned down, going into the wind. I think the ball was for moss or rollin. minnett maybe threw it? I want to say ISU blue. that was pretty bad, all the way around. Maybe not so much trick plays but give more then 2 formations, one with 3 WR set wide and one power running set.
                It was Rollin who threw the pass against SIU and I think the intended receiver was Moss. It was a lame duck into the wind that was intercepted; sorry looking pass.

Comment

Even if we had 2 full weeks to prepare I dont really see that changing how thing went very much. it wasnt stuff that NDSU just decided during the bye week. They had a game plan IMO worked out all season. They knew what it would take to win the game and they were obviously better prepared and executed to match.
                  And,as much as we hate to admit it , the Bison probably had a bit more talent than the Jacks .

Comment

Originally posted by JackDad View Post
                    It was Rollin who threw the pass against SIU and I think the intended receiver was Moss. It was a lame duck into the wind that was intercepted; sorry looking pass.
                    Yeah that sounds about right. should have probably just tucked it and ran or thrown out of bounds. that wind really hung it up there i do remember that. Live and learn i guess.

Comment

Day 2 pics from the Jacks FB page.....https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3416220&type=3

Day 3....https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3416220&type=3

Comment

Yeah that sounds about right. should have probably just tucked it and ran or thrown out of bounds. that wind really hung it up there i do remember that. Live and learn i guess.
                        Also the year before we tried a HB pass that ended up with Minett throwing an INT in the endzone down at UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          And,as much as we hate to admit it , the Bison probably had a bit more talent than the Jacks .
                          A bit more maybe but not tons more. they lost last year to ISU-B so its not like they werent beatable. Their lines overall were probably a little better then ours, but they executed much better. they got their blocks or in position better. They knew what they were doing better then we did and it showed.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                            Also the year before we tried a HB pass that ended up with Minett throwing an INT in the endzone down at UNI.
                            I thought he tried a pass or 2. Wonder if we could get cam jones to throw out of the flash. he is great at running it, but sort of a Tebow at florida fake running up the middle step back and hit an open WR after the corner or safty bites on the fake run.

Comment

It's really hard to criticize the Jacks' running game, no matter how predictable it might be. It's strong. The passing game had some problems last year that hopefully are being fixed. One positive of running the same pre-hike motion every play is that the defense might start taking it for granted, fail to react at a critical time and give up a game-changing play.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

What does the depth chart at LB look like? Who's going to step in with Lally this year?

Also, which QB snatches #2 with Kline gone?

Comment

Working...
                                X