Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruiting List

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    One last tid bit. My son talked with a former recruit last week who is on the Husker roster. This recruit is showing interest in playing for the Rabbits again, because he doesn't see a significant opportunity to see extended playing time in Lincoln. Do we keep any scholarships available for these type of recruits?
    Football coaches generally set aside a scholarship for a rainy day, its usually set aside for a transfer, but if no transfers is brought in they might divvy it out to pwo's(see players like Suess and Hubert). And also on the number of signees for this year, I believe TV said they are looking at no more than 18 guys, and my guess is 16 would be the minimum. The more impact players we bring in, the less players we will sign this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Just my guess a resounding NO. But we have George Marshall practicing and anticipating some scholly money down the road. I think Jay Larson the finance and tuition guy seems to find money for the non-athletes and athletes alike.
      The difference between this and the basketball situation is that the football signing date is a few weeks away and there are still scholarships available. Unless this potential player wants to transfer immediately for spring semester , there should be scholarships starting next fall should the coaching staff be interested. Theoretically there should even be scholarship dollars for spring semester since Nate Meyer just left the program.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
        Football coaches generally set aside a scholarship for a rainy day, its usually set aside for a transfer, but if no transfers is brought in they might divvy it out to pwo's(see players like Suess and Hubert). And also on the number of signees for this year, I believe TV said they are looking at no more than 18 guys, and my guess is 16 would be the minimum. The more impact players we bring in, the less players we will sign this year.
        I set up an endowment many years ago, and as soon as there was 100 dollars or so accumulate in endowment income, they did award a scholarship to some deserving individual. I don't recall who, but its not important. I think Big Goosie is closer to what is going on then I am so I don't question anything said here. Just that there are many more takers than givers for scholarships. I know this will not help this young Nebraska guy, but more endowments could be set up by generous folks on this board. The limit is 63 but I think there are ways of getting around it once the quota is reached, and that why I mentioned Jay Larson. He seems to be a very resourceful at these kind of things. Since this young man you referred to as a recruit is technically no longer a recruit but a transfer, its up to him to make the first move.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          The difference between this and the basketball situation is that the football signing date is a few weeks away and there are still scholarships available. Unless this potential player wants to transfer immediately for spring semester , there should be scholarships starting next fall should the coaching staff be interested. Theoretically there should even be scholarship dollars for spring semester since Nate Meyer just left the program.
          I think this is plausible. Its complicated. Since we have a very competent financial assistant at SDSU in Jay Larson, I am sure there were many conversations with Jay on how they would work this out. Obviously they have or George would still be in Madison or at some other school.

Comment

I think this is plausible. Its complicated. Since we have a very competent financial assistant at SDSU in Jay Larson, I am sure there were many conversations with Jay on how they would work this out. Obviously they have or George would still be in Madison or at some other school.
            There is no way to "get around" the 63 scholarship quota. All money from Jay Larson's office is based either on academic merit or the financial need of the family. Anyone, athlete or not, can fill out a FAFSA form and hope they get some extra help based on the family's situation. Believe it or not, it isn't unheard of for a kid like George Marshall to actually pay his own way to school until an athletic scholarship becomes available. Maybe all of the other schools he was considering didn't have an open scholarship for him either??? If Jay's office was bending the rules and "getting around" the 63 scholarship quota, SDSU will be the next school to make the headlines for a scandal. None of us want that.

Comment

I have understood that George Marshall will be on his own this semester.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

OG Thomas Kirsch has committed to Western Illinois

Comment

I can guarantee none of that has ever even been a consideration. You'd be hard pressed to find a man with more integrity or honor than Jay Larson. He and his wife Kathy have given so much to all programs and activities at State. His office was instrumental in helping me with tuition assistance and after a natural disaster left me in tough shape he helped contact me with some relief funds. His stature and presence at the university makes him and his position as important to the student body as anyone employed there. God Bless him, I hope after he retires he is honored properly.

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  If Jay's office was bending the rules and "getting around" the 63 scholarship quota, SDSU will be the next school to make the headlines for a scandal. None of us want that.

Comment

Looks like Sioux Falls Lincoln RB Caden Quintanilla has committed to SDSU as a PWO.....https://twitter.com/Caden_Q25/status/423163597041467393

Quintanilla was the South Dakota Gatorade Player of the Year and the Argus Leader Elite 45 Captain, needless to say he is the most decorated player in SD this year. He has a lot of wiggle in his game and can cut on a dime. His first play of highlight #3 on the ncaasports link below is dirty.

Season Stats: 1900 rushing yards on 257 carries for 29 tds and 244 yards and 4 td's in the championship against
                    Roosevelt....http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...ear/?id=157044

Highlights: http://www.ncsasports.org/football-r...en-quintanilla

HUDL: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/169328/caden-quintanilla#

Argus Leader Video: http://www.argusleader.com/VideoNetwork/2874447067001/Elite-45-Captain-Caden-Quintanilla

KDLT Story: http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option...0846&Itemid=58
                    Last edited by BigGoosie13; 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                      I can guarantee none of that has ever even been a consideration. You'd be hard pressed to find a man with more integrity or honor than Jay Larson. He and his wife Kathy have given so much to all programs and activities at State. His office was instrumental in helping me with tuition assistance and after a natural disaster left me in tough shape he helped contact me with some relief funds. His stature and presence at the university makes him and his position as important to the student body as anyone employed there. God Bless him, I hope after he retires he is honored properly.

All true about Jay and his lovely wife, Kathy. I believe Jay has retired recently, however.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                        Looks like Sioux Falls Lincoln RB Caden Quintanilla has committed to SDSU, I wonder if he is going to be a scholarship player or a preferred walk-on.....https://twitter.com/Caden_Q25/status/423163597041467393

Quintanilla was the South Dakota Gatorade Player of the Year and the Argus Leader Elite 45 Captain, needless to say he is the most decorated player in SD this year. He has a lot of wiggle in his game and can cut on a dime. His first touchdown in the state championship was dirty, it is the first play of highlight #3 on the ncaasports link below.

Season Stats: 1900 rushing yards on 257 carries for 29 tds and 244 yards and 4 td's in the championship against
                        Roosevelt....http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...ear/?id=157044

Highlights: http://www.ncsasports.org/football-r...en-quintanilla

HUDL: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/169328/caden-quintanilla#

Argus Leader Video: http://www.argusleader.com/VideoNetwork/2874447067001/Elite-45-Captain-Caden-Quintanilla

KDLT Story: http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option...0846&Itemid=58
                        I've watched him play a few times. He's fast...very, very fast.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                          I certainly wasn't insinuating that this was going on. I'm with you on your stance that this wouldn't happen with Jay at the helm. For someone to suggest otherwise is crazy. Thanks for your input on Jay's willingness to help you in a time of need. He deserves that recognition.

Comment

TV tweeted that Quintanilla will be a PWO.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              There is no way to "get around" the 63 scholarship quota. All money from Jay Larson's office is based either on academic merit or the financial need of the family. Anyone, athlete or not, can fill out a FAFSA form and hope they get some extra help based on the family's situation. Believe it or not, it isn't unheard of for a kid like George Marshall to actually pay his own way to school until an athletic scholarship becomes available. Maybe all of the other schools he was considering didn't have an open scholarship for him either??? If Jay's office was bending the rules and "getting around" the 63 scholarship quota, SDSU will be the next school to make the headlines for a scandal. None of us want that.
                              Okay once the Athletic department reaches 63, then they do use the academic scholarship route to help the individual who may or may not be a student athlete. There are tons of sources available. Even in my day 50 years ago, scholarship money was not used entirely. If I had a 100 bucks for every time Jay Larson thanked me for setting up an endowment, I could set another one up with that money. No way was implying any wrong doing. Only a peanut head like you would think that.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Okay once the Athletic department reaches 63, then they do use the academic scholarship route to help the individual who may or may not be a student athlete. There are tons of sources available. Even in my day 50 years ago, scholarship money was not used entirely. If I had a 100 bucks for every time Jay Larson thanked me for setting up an endowment, I could set another one with that money. No way was I mplying any wrong doing. Only a peanut head like you would think that.
                                Are you saying once the football team has doled out its 63 scholarships the athletic department then goes looking for academic scholarships to give to athletes that may not have gotten an athletic scholarship?

Comment

Working...
                                X