GDT: 2nd Round FCS Championships SDSU @ NDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: 2nd Round FCS Championships SDSU @ NDSU

Thanks. Its rough ending the year losing a playoff game and having an injury to boot. Hope jelsma has a speedy recovery.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Game planning and management was nearly perfect on their side and abysmal on the Jackrabbit side.
      I think the Pride has a deeper playbook than our football team.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        You have to have the personnel to execute those razzle dazzle plays that are collecting dust in Coach Eidness's play book. I would venture Eidness is an equal to Vigeen if not more so in Offensive plays and knowledge. You can only execute that what your talent can handle. I think we have to do more in the recruiting area, to catch up with the Bizon. Zach did a great job but he has his limits in what they can do. Seems like running off the left tackle is getting redundant, but with off season, maybe Eidness can see some more possibilities. Our offense needs work but what part of our game does not?

Comment

Went to the game. It was frustrating. So badly wanted our Jacks to go up there and find some way to get a W and really advance the program. Honestly, we all knew that was a tall order but I thought they would go up there and play well. We needed to play our best. Feel bad for the team because that isn't the way they played.

My thoughts (I'm sure there is some serious redundancy here, didn't read all 20 pages):

1. The Bison played well. Had a solid game plan. They made no serious mistakes. The crowd was very loud and was a real factor. They proved why they are the number one team in the country. Hats off to them. Thanks to their fans, they were very nice to me at the tailgate.
          2. The game was won at the line. The Bison controlled it on both sides. That was ballgame.
          3. The Jacks defense fought very hard. Were very good on first and second down. Unfortunately, gave up a lot of third and long conversions. We did that a lot. Not sure what we do different on 3rd down. I'm not a football player.
          4. The creativity on offense just wasn't there. We didn't do a lot differently and that seemed to let their defense be comfortable. I get that you stick with the things you do well but you have to shake it up a bit.
          5. We had too many penalties. Some were BS but many were correct. If you want to beat the Bison in their house you have to get rid of them.
          6. I just don't understand our offensive philosophy later in the game. We had the ball to start the fourth down 21-3. WE NEED 3 TOUCHDOUNS TO GO AHEAD plus defensive stops. We kept running the ball up the middle, throwing short passes, and taking our sweet time getting in and out of the huddle. That first drive we ran 7 plays, made one first down, and took almost 5 minutes off the clock. I just don't get that. One guy in our group said that it looked like we were running the clock out. This was the worst part for me. This is the playoffs and there is no tomorrow. You do everything you can to find a way to comeback. We didn't do that in my opinion. I'd rather see us give up interceptions down the field as long as we're trying to do what we have to score and do it quickly. We just seemed completely unprepared for that. That I have to put on the coaches.
          7. Anyone else see the punter put another ball twenty rows up in second half warmups? See him miss the practice net and have to run onto the field to catch it?

I do want to thank the team for a really exciting year. My expectations weren't nearly as high as where the team finished. They battled all year and did it as a team. They made it through a lot of big injuries. They always play hard and with a lot of class. We had the pleasure of watching Zach Zenner have the best season of any RB in SDSU history. It really was an excellent year and the program moved forward. Unfortunately, it just seemd like we were so close to something much greater.

To take the next step, we need to address many of the things above. We also need to step up as fans and support the team and the university. Things like the indoor practice facitlity, the new stadium, better pay for coaches, and all those things that are only done with our dollars. Say what you want about NDSU, you have to give them credit for what they have done. They have the tradition, the fanbase, the resources, the stadium, and everything they need to compete with anyone. For all of us SDSU fans that watched the game in person or on TV, I think we all realize we have a long way to go. WE ARE ON THE RIGHT PATH!!! We just need to keep moving forward,

We have a lot of talent coming back next year and we should be optimistic that we have an opportunity to have a great season next year. We lose some great players to graduation but we need to continue improving the quality of the freshman classes that we recruit in. The coaches are doing that. I plan on getting rid of the frustration I feel and move on.

Sorry for the long rant. It was theraputic so thanks for indulging.

It's officially basketball season!

Thanks again to the seniors for a fun ride! You moved the needle!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

First off, credit must be paid where it is due, and the Bison played fantastic. They owned the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in the first half.

In the second half, our defense adjusted and played Much better, but it was too late.

Someone brought up that the Bison tackle well, I agree.

That is a tremendous defensive football team. Not just good, not just better than most, tremendous. They are that good. They have the stats to back it up.

For those complaining about the playcalling... I don't care what you call, when you're getting beat at the point of attack pretty much every play, it just doesn't matter. And I'd go a step further that when you play a great defense like that.... keeping it straightforward and simple is probably best. You don't want to bring out the triple reverse option flea flicker play against a team like this, unless you want to watch a big loss.

I watched nearly every game this season... (all those I could anyway), and only once did I see our Offensive Line get manhandled like that, and that was the first Bison game.

That's a great team. Anything other than tipping you cap, and walking away proud of the Jacks season is just sour grapes in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
              It wouldn't have mattered what our game plan was coming into the game. Their D-line beat our O-line 90% of the time. It was the rare occasion of catching the Bison out of position or in a bad call when we broke a run. If you can't run the ball you can't win. They did to us what we did to EIU. Shut down the run and sat back in a zone coverage all day. On the other side of the ball, they again just controlled the line of scrimmage. You can run whatever defense you want, but when the O-line is getting to the linebackers on every running play, there really isn't anything to be done about it. Ask Nebraska about that.

NDSU was the better team and showed it. They had a couple trick plays in the books that were the salt in the wound of the loss, but we were killed by a systematic beating at the hands of both of their lines. Not sure how you coach against that.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                It wouldn't have mattered what our game plan was coming into the game. Their D-line beat our O-line 90% of the time. It was the rare occasion of catching the Bison out of position or in a bad call when we broke a run. If you can't run the ball you can't win. They did to us what we did to EIU. Shut down the run and sat back in a zone coverage all day. On the other side of the ball, they again just controlled the line of scrimmage. You can run whatever defense you want, but when the O-line is getting to the linebackers on every running play, there really isn't anything to be done about it. Ask Nebraska about that. NDSU was the better team and showed it. They had a couple trick plays in the books that were the salt in the wound of the loss, but we were killed by a systematic beating at the hands of both of their lines. Not sure how you coach against that.
                Let me put it this way, the coaches didn't put the players in position to succeed. Also, it's not hard for the Bison to beat the O-Line when the Jacks don't have any creativity or element of surprise in their formations. The defense was on the field pretty much the whole 2nd which could have contributed to them scoring 21pts in the second quarter. Tough to play defense when the offense can't get a decent drive going.
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

It wouldn't have mattered what our game plan was coming into the game. Their D-line beat our O-line 90% of the time. It was the rare occasion of catching the Bison out of position or in a bad call when we broke a run. If you can't run the ball you can't win. They did to us what we did to EIU. Shut down the run and sat back in a zone coverage all day. On the other side of the ball, they again just controlled the line of scrimmage. You can run whatever defense you want, but when the O-line is getting to the linebackers on every running play, there really isn't anything to be done about it. Ask Nebraska about that.

NDSU was the better team and showed it. They had a couple trick plays in the books that were the salt in the wound of the loss, but we were killed by a systematic beating at the hands of both of their lines. Not sure how you coach against that.
                  I think you are taking my quote out of context. I was responding to a post from Jackmd regarding the gameplanning. I'm absolutely not pinning the loss on our playcalling, but a few new wrinkles here and there might have helped. the Bison added those wrinkles and put 14 points on the board because of it.

I am firmly in the camp of those who think (well, we know) that our lines were manhandled. It all starts in the trenches with the fat guys on both sides of the ball. It was a clear and decisive win by a better team.

That is all. Carry on.

Comment

I agree with you 100%. You get beat on the line, you get beat.

My biggest frustration was that there didn't seem to be any urgency to do something to score quickly. We needed three touchdowns to catch up in one quarter of football. The pace needs to pick up. The two-minute offense needs to be employed. We didn't do that. That was a head scratcher.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      First off, credit must be paid where it is due, and the Bison played fantastic. They owned the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in the first half.

In the second half, our defense adjusted and played Much better, but it was too late.

Someone brought up that the Bison tackle well, I agree.

That is a tremendous defensive football team. Not just good, not just better than most, tremendous. They are that good. They have the stats to back it up.

For those complaining about the playcalling... I don't care what you call, when you're getting beat at the point of attack pretty much every play, it just doesn't matter. And I'd go a step further that when you play a great defense like that.... keeping it straightforward and simple is probably best. You don't want to bring out the triple reverse option flea flicker play against a team like this, unless you want to watch a big loss.

I watched nearly every game this season... (all those I could anyway), and only once did I see our Offensive Line get manhandled like that, and that was the first Bison game.

That's a great team. Anything other than tipping you cap, and walking away proud of the Jacks season is just sour grapes in my opinion.
                      The Bison were the better team and they deserved to win. I think that I was just hoping that they would have an off day and SDSU was on.

I decided to reply to this post because I think it sums things up really well. I was really hoping that they would have been "keeping it straightforward and simple" on the 4th and 1 early in the game. We ended up "watch(ing) a big loss" on that sack and gave NDSU good field position.

There were a few plays that could have made it a closer game. SDSU had 2 long passes that could have made it more interesting. It would have been too little too late but either a catch or pass interference on one long pass and a catch on another and it wouldn't have looked so bad. When Schreider dropped that long ball, I thought that just summed up the game for SDSU fans. SDSU could have punted it and not given NDSU a short field(later in the game) but they had to go for it to try to win the game.

I know that I'm not qualified to make the call but I don't know if I agreed with many of Stig's 4th down calls. I'd either spread it out or put a couple FB/TE's in the backfield and pound it at them on 4th and 1. On 4th and 5 or so around midfield, down three scores, I'd go for it in the 4th. Going for it on 4th and 17 with 5 minutes left, down three scores, is a tough but necessary call. I think the game was actually over but are the odds better converting a 4th and 17 or have NDSU turn the ball over. I could be wrong but I think these are close to what actually happened.

NDSU is the better team and they moved on. Now I just hope that they go on and win the whole thing to make the conference look good.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                        I agree with you 100%. You get beat on the line, you get beat.

My biggest frustration was that there didn't seem to be any urgency to do something to score quickly. We needed three touchdowns to catch up in one quarter of football. The pace needs to pick up. The two-minute offense needs to be employed. We didn't do that. That was a head scratcher.

SUPERBUNNY
                        Agreed.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                          The Bison were the better team and they deserved to win. I think that I was just hoping that they would have an off day and SDSU was on.

I decided to reply to this post because I think it sums things up really well. I was really hoping that they would have been "keeping it straightforward and simple" on the 4th and 1 early in the game. We ended up "watch(ing) a big loss" on that sack and gave NDSU good field position.

There were a few plays that could have made it a closer game. SDSU had 2 long passes that could have made it more interesting. It would have been too little too late but either a catch or pass interference on one long pass and a catch on another and it wouldn't have looked so bad. When Schreider dropped that long ball, I thought that just summed up the game for SDSU fans. SDSU could have punted it and not given NDSU a short field(later in the game) but they had to go for it to try to win the game.

I know that I'm not qualified to make the call but I don't know if I agreed with many of Stig's 4th down calls. I'd either spread it out or put a couple FB/TE's in the backfield and pound it at them on 4th and 1. On 4th and 5 or so around midfield, down three scores, I'd go for it in the 4th. Going for it on 4th and 17 with 5 minutes left, down three scores, is a tough but necessary call. I think the game was actually over but are the odds better converting a 4th and 17 or have NDSU turn the ball over. I could be wrong but I think these are close to what actually happened.

NDSU is the better team and they moved on. Now I just hope that they go on and win the whole thing to make the conference look good.
                          Agreed. I tweeted my buddies that going for it on 4th and 1 was the right call, but the execution and play call was not. Then again, I'd probably say the same thing if we lined up in goalline formation and were stuffed short, too. If's and But's.

Comment

You guys probably want to put this thread to bed soon, but one more comment / question.

No huddle offense?

It seemed to work well for you at the end of the First Fargo meeting, where you torched our defense and got that 1:00 score at the end. (Some Bison fans might argue prevent defense, but nevertheless not here). I really feel the strong suit of our defense is our versatility with multiple looks and multiple front seven subs.

So did SDSU ever run a no-huddle offense at any point during the season? (As I write this, I now think with Zenner going nuts 2000+ probably not)
                            "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Herd View Post
                              You guys probably want to put this thread to bed soon, but one more comment / question.

No huddle offense?

It seemed to work well for you at the end of the First Fargo meeting, where you torched our defense and got that 1:00 score at the end. (Some Bison fans might argue prevent defense, but nevertheless not here). I really feel the strong suit of our defense is our versatility with multiple looks and multiple front seven subs.

So did SDSU ever run a no-huddle offense at any point during the season? (As I write this, I now think with Zenner going nuts 2000+ probably not)
                              They did on the game-ending drive at SIU. I don't believe they used it unless in a end of half/game situation.

Comment

I was hoping that we would start the game that way! In the 1st meeting, towards the end of the game Sumner hit Tiefenthaler in the endzone to pull us within 3 but it was to late. We were in our two-minute offense. With the Bisons dfense, was hoping we would try and keep them off balance.

Comment

Working...
                                X