Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bison Week

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    Wow, ye of little faith. The Bison are not that good. They lost to Indiana State and had a really hard time with Missouri State this weekend. Winning in Fargo is always hard, but we can win this one.

This!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
      The place is kind of a dump and the cannon IS stupid. 64 knows what he's talking about. Besides taking offense to his shots at the Fargo Dome, how is 64's post causing the "Wow"? I think the rest of his post is hard to argue against. The pressure is going to be on NDSU. SDSU will come in as 14 point underdogs having been picked to finish in the bottom half of the league to start the season.
      I will pay you later for the kind words. Jacks should not fear the Bison in this game. Although they are ranked #1, this is not as good of a team as last years team, albeit still a very, very good football team. The Jacks can beat anyone, but have played some really bad football this year as well. Respect, don't fear. Punch them before they punch you.

Comment

It comes down to turnovers and Brock Jensen. Which Jensen shows up for this game. The one who led us to a title last year and played the first 4 games the same way this year? Or the one who's shown up the last few weeks? If Jensen is on and doesn't turn the ball over it could be a long day for the bunnies. If turnovers keep biting us you guys may be taking the marker back to Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Rivalry game. Throw out your preconceptions. I cannot, however, accept any argument that the Bison are not that good. They're almost the same team that won the title last year. Their QB, Jensen, is struggling a bit, but the defense is very good. Jacks need to strap their helmets on tight and control the line of scrimmage, not an easy assignment against the Bison. We need to play mistake-free football (which hasn't happened much this year) and also get a few breaks. There is no reason why this team can't put it all together and win up there, but it will be very tough.
          Agreed, but the Bison need to earn that pedestal.

The "how great they are" story line reminds me of a story about U.S. Grant. He became the general he was because he learned early on, at Fort Donelson and Shiloh, that no opponent was infallible, that the humans on the other side feared him as much as he feared them, and that the key to good generalship was to remember and exploit and stoke that fear. It's what separated him from the McLellans and all the other failures of the war, the guys who always overestimated the other guy simply because he was the other guy. You can be as hamstrung by overestimating your opponent just as much as underestimating them.

Of course the Bison are very good and props to the defending champs. But the Bison also are not invincible - never should be consiodered so, IMHO, in this rivalry. And there is an overlooked fact this week: the pucker factor is much higher for them than it is for the Jacks.

First, on invincibility:
          The Bison have lost an MVC game at home. The Jacks have not. They struggled against Mo. State, albeit on the road, more than the Jacks did against the Bears. There are counters to this argument: Our one MVC loss was a bad one to a team they handled pretty well.

On the pucker factor: Given the pre-season expectations - including from some on this board - the Jacks are essentially playing with house money on Saturday. The Jacks were not expected to be serious playoff contenders, much less league title contenders. Teams like that can be very dangerous, especially because this is NOT the last game of the season.

On that last point, the big picture is very, very important to put Saturday into context: The Bison have the toughest remaining schedule of the four contenders, and a loss to SDSU clearly puts NDSU in bigger playoff/seeding peril than a Jack loss in Fargo does to SDSU. Assuming that a fourth MVC team will be vulnerable and on the bubble.

Here is why: The Bison end the season on the road Nov. 17 against 8-2, 5-2 Illinois State, which will have had a bye week to heal and to game plan, and which will be playing for the league title at home if the Bison win this weekend. The same day, the Jacks end against USD at home, ostensibly needing that game to get to eight wins and 6-2 in the conference and into the playoffs IF they lose in Fargo. Of course the U game is no given, and one must always be wary of resumed rivalries as strong as this one. I am not counting chickens, just laying out objective scenarios: Would you rather be playing the U at home with a chance to get in the playoffs, or Illinois State on the road?

Meanwhile, Indiana State (7-3, 5-2), whom the Jacks have beaten, is on the road Nov. 17 against Youngstown and also will be coming off a bye week.

Bottom line: Does a 5-3, fourth-place MVC team make the playoffs, even if that team has eight overall wins (whose signature non-conference win is over a bad 2-7 Colorado State team, and whose other two non-conference wins were over FCS powederpuffs with combined records of 6-12 in weak leagues?) That is where the Bison will be with two losses and if Indiana State beats Youngstown State on the road on the 17th.

So the Bison need this game more than the Jacks do. Let it all hang out, Jacks. Play to win and not to not lose.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker View Post
            It comes down to turnovers and Brock Jensen. Which Jensen shows up for this game. The one who led us to a title last year and played the first 4 games the same way this year? Or the one who's shown up the last few weeks? If Jensen is on and doesn't turn the ball over it could be a long day for the bunnies. If turnovers keep biting us you guys may be taking the marker back to Brookings.
            This is where I stand. It's also going to come down to who makes the most "plays". Whether it's Rollins coming down with a big catch or someone like Marcus Williams making a big INT. It's going to be a fun game to watch!
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker View Post
              With due respect, it comes down to a hell of a lot more than that. There are two QBs on the field, for instance. And if there are no turnovers in the game the Jacks can still defeat the humped ones.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                Didn't you get beat by Indiana State??? At home. You "man handled" UNI at their house? NDSU 33 - UNI 21I don't have to defend our schedule. You are the guy offended by the fact that we have the audacity to think we might beat you. You tell me why that is 100% impossible, especially given the way you have been playing of late. I hope your team is as overconfident as you.
                Again you haven't explained what makes you think you are so head and shoulders better than NDSU? You getting defensive about me giving you facts about my team....I could give a rats ass about you guys not kissing our ass like some have said don't expect you to but then you say hope the team is as overconfident as I, well your pretty overconfident yourself.May the best team win

And yes we man handled UNI, they scored the last 7 points with our scrubs in the game and seconds left on the clock

Real score 31-14
                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                  Again you haven't explained what makes you think you are so head and shoulders better than NDSU? You getting defensive about me giving you facts about my team....I could give a rats ass about you guys not kissing our ass like some have said don't expect you to but then you say hope the team is as overconfident as I, well your pretty overconfident yourself.May the best team win

And yes we man handled UNI, they scored the last 7 points with our scrubs in the game and seconds left on the clock

Real score 31-14
                  Pretty sure all LakeJack meant was that NDSU is beatable and not invincible as some fans think, not that SDSU is sooo much better than NDSU
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                    Fargodome is a dump? I love that...I don't think it warrants much of a response as only two people have said something on this thread about that...and I would not want to be held accountable for some of the Bison fans.
                    To be clear, I said KIND OF a dump. The Dakota Dome is a bigger dump than the FargoDome.

If I was coming to the game (long drive from Milwaukee), I'd bring a sampling of my own home brew. Currently rocking a decent Bells 2 Hearted IPA clone and a nice Lager that just went on tap after a 3 month Lagering in the basement fridge.

I see this game playing out a lot like the last time NDSU came in with a #1 ranking. Extremely hard hitting on both sides with both teams laying it all on the line. Both teams are hoping their "good" offense shows up.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Again you haven't explained what makes you think you are so head and shoulders better than NDSU?
                      I am pretty tall. Maybe not head and shoulders taller than most, but still pretty tall.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                        I say we should pound the run game right off the bat. It will be on the players to do that. I would cringe if we try something cute or a bunch of play actions early on and then make a critical mistake and fall behind early. Something like UNI. Keep pounding the run game and do safe, efficient throws. Hopefully the players can be successful. Then, as the game unfolds start opening up the plays with timely play actions and "surprise" plays. But still, running the ball. Try to out muscle them and play to our identity. Please no sugar coating ! At least not early. Once the game takes off, no body really knows how it will play out haha So by the end of the game it will hopefully be a free for all with both teams doing whatever it takes to win... That's the ideal situation we are looking for IMO
                        Is this Luke Meadows? I mean...sorry, but just couldn't resist.

And now, a serious question: What is the deal with our punt return? I'm just trying to understand. The number of returns we have is very low, and for limited yardage. Usually, it's either a fair catch or we don't field the punt at all. It just seems that we haven't shown any improvement at all. And we don't get any pressure on the punter, either. Shouldn't we be able to do better?
                        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                          I say we should pound the run game right off the bat. It will be on the players to do that. I would cringe if we try something cute or a bunch of play actions early on and then make a critical mistake and fall behind early. Something like UNI. Keep pounding the run game and do safe, efficient throws. Hopefully the players can be successful. Then, as the game unfolds start opening up the plays with timely play actions and "surprise" plays. But still, running the ball. Try to out muscle them and play to our identity. Please no sugar coating ! At least not early. Once the game takes off, no body really knows how it will play out haha So by the end of the game it will hopefully be a free for all with both teams doing whatever it takes to win... That's the ideal situation we are looking for IMO
                          In my opinion, that's playing not to lose. The coaches shouldn't be afraid of anything this week. No matter what happens, a win against USD puts SDSU in the playoffs. That's the goal. Just go play.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Real score 31-14
                            Whoa, TJ. Clean off your glasses and re-read the posts. Who said SDSU is head and shoulders better than NDSU? And who was getting defensive? People are saying NDSU is not invincible and SDSU can win this game. Many of the posters in this thread have noted that the burden is on NDSU -- you guys seem to be favored. I like NoVaJack's comment: we're playing with house money. Chill, buddy. It's going to be a whale of a game. Personally, I think the Jackrabbits have the Bison exactly where we want them. This is a great setup. Bison win? You won't be surprised; but, something tells me that if the Jackrabbits win, you won't be surprised either. And the next week, you move on to ISUb and we'll host USD.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                              And now, a serious question: What is the deal with our punt return? I'm just trying to understand. The number of returns we have is very low, and for limited yardage. Usually, it's either a fair catch or we don't field the punt at all. It just seems that we haven't shown any improvement at all. And we don't get any pressure on the punter, either. Shouldn't we be able to do better?
                              It's our new trick play. We've been setting it up all season for this game. We run back three for TDs. Don't tell the Bison.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                                To be clear, I said KIND OF a dump.
                                What would you call CAS? Seriously...you could say football should be played outdoors, or make fun of the announcer, but calling it a dump? Please...you prolly have never been inside...likely with how few SDSU people travel. The Fargodome is a very nice facility. They could always do things to make it better, but there is absolutely nothing that would make it even a little "dump-like".

Comment

Working...
                                X