• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filbert
    replied
    Re: Future Schedules

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    . . .NDSU setting a precedent that SDSU can't follow. . .
    Until and unless (in no special order)
    1) the stadium re-build project is completed, and
    2) SDSU's attendance starts brushing up against 20,000 a game, and
    3) SDSU starts having sustained, repeated success in the post-season, up to and including a national championship or two of our own.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    My bad yes that is only their 11th game and that is all they will play
    $200,000 will be the payday for Delaware St. NDSU setting a precedent that SDSU can't follow. Hope we can continue to negotiate for home and home games with similar quality programs. Don't want to have to "buy" a 5th home game much less a 6th.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

My bad yes that is only their 11th game and that is all they will play

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    I still don't undestand advocating for a 6th home game against a cupcake. Since playoff participants are selected by a committee rather than qualifying by record, wouldn't a win against a cupcake carry less weight in the selection committee's eyes?

NDSU gets in on past history alone (which they have earned), but we do not have that luxury.

I'll take a 6th home game, but it needs to be against a quality opponent. If we can't beat one at home, do we really deserve to be in the playoffs anyway? None of this "buying our way into the playoffs" garbage.

Not that we can trust the selection process anyways.........
    Because the grind of the confrence can be a lot to deal with and adding more tough road games doesnt do much if we dont win those games. If we have the chance at a easy home game or tough road game we should take the home game. Work out the kinks and get the guys good reps and prepare for a tough confrence, not play another tough game that if we lose doesnt really help us make the playoffs. We play most of the games on the road, we have a hard time trying to bring in other good teams, so if that means we make some deals with a bottom feeder one year to get an extra home game, I think we have too. I would like to see us get into some 2fer1 deals with some teams that are maybe struggling to fill its schedule. Im not talking about going for a team who was dead last in the worst confrence to bring in but their are avg teams in a middle of the pack confrence that I feel we need to find ways to get to Brookings.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    I believe this is correct. Last I had heard they were still looking for game 11 not 12. I may have missed something though.
    Yep, NDSU's 11 game schedule is confirmed w/ Delaware State. http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=206416264

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Or did they confirm their 11th game, as they had to reschedule a game for next year (West Carolina game moved to 2016).
    I believe this is correct. Last I had heard they were still looking for game 11 not 12. I may have missed something though.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Sounds like NDSU might have their 12th game, as they have sent a contract to Deleware State
    Or did they confirm their 11th game, as they had to reschedule a game for next year (West Carolina game moved to 2016).

Leave a comment:

• TK22867
    replied

I still don't undestand advocating for a 6th home game against a cupcake. Since playoff participants are selected by a committee rather than qualifying by record, wouldn't a win against a cupcake carry less weight in the selection committee's eyes?

NDSU gets in on past history alone (which they have earned), but we do not have that luxury.

I'll take a 6th home game, but it needs to be against a quality opponent. If we can't beat one at home, do we really deserve to be in the playoffs anyway? None of this "buying our way into the playoffs" garbage.

Not that we can trust the selection process anyways.........

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

Sounds like NDSU might have their 12th game, as they have sent a contract to Deleware State

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    Yea! It isn't about attendance it is about playoff eligibility. You need 7 D-I wins to be considered for the FCS playoffs - the more D-I wins the better - and home games are statistically easier to win then road games and wins against cupcake are statistically easier to win then games against quality opponents. So since they all count the same, why not a cupcake at home. Now it is kinda about attendance, because you need strong attendance so that you can pay a cupcake to come in. It works for NDSU I would like us to get there too.
    Stig says it won't work for SDSU right now. Again, that is what the head coach said when asked about a "buying" a 6th home DI game. My guess is that Stig would LOVE to have 6 home games. In the past he has commented time and again about how tough the schedule has been for SDSU OOC and how much easier NDSU has had it. Someone pony up the 200,000K and get Wagner U. to Brookings the last weekend in August.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
    Dumb question, but why don't we play a true round robin in the conference? We can't be the only team with scheduling challenges
    The reason was to cut travel costs for eastern members of MVFC, and likewise for the Dakota schools by not playing ISU red this past season it might have saved SDSU a few dolloars. USD gets a free ride this coming season in that they dont have to travel to Bloomington or is Normal, I believe. I really think we should go back to full or true round robin. Competition in my books outweighs travel expense.

Leave a comment:

• valleyrabbit
    replied

Dumb question, but why don't we play a true round robin in the conference? We can't be the only team with scheduling challenges

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Serious or sarcasm?
    Good question. Rob is dead serious when you talk schedules with him. I suppose propar80 could do better, that is sarcasm.

Leave a comment:

• SDSUAlum08
    replied

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    Shoot Assoc. AD Rob Petersen an e-mail in regards to fb scheduling and a 6th home game in a 12 game season. IMO he's been screwing the fb programs schedule for years now. He'll have all kinds of excuses for ya...guaranteed!!
    Serious or sarcasm?

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    Goon - Do you really want a game against a bottom feeder just to have a 6th home game? To a certain extent, we already struggle with attendance (maxing out each game) and I don't see how watering down the schedule will help that. Now if we add a top-tier FCS opponent, that's a different story.

Keep in mind that we are only 2 years removed from not packing the house against Northern Iowa. If I recall correctly, that was a night game, in October, vs. the #2 team in the country. I recall very distincly how Stig chided us fans on the radio broadcast after the game for the sparse attendance.

I am of the opinion that if we build a new stadium "they will come", but nothing is going to drive up attendance more than success on the football field. The shine of a new stadium will wear off very quickly if we don't put a good product on the field - See Target Field.

From the outside looking in, I would agree that it does not make financial sense to add a 6th game.
    Yeah I do. A win would be huge for playoff possibility and we are avg more fans per game every year. Just because we don't avg 16K every game I think we are deserving to get an extra home game compared to being on the road.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X