Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Missouri State - Beef Bowl

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I think I agree with most of those points. We are lucky to be where we are but good teams find away to win.

M state sounds cliche but probably the best 0-5 team in the country. They play better their their record shows.

That was my big worry that sumner would have a sophmore slump. Tob played great his freshman year but how quickly we all forget. Let's hope its system changes with meadows gone not getting ina groove with the wrs and a bum thumb on his throwing hand. Passes look great problem is mental mistakes.

I don't know how the first penalty was thrwown from the ref fathest from the play. Right in front of the sdsu side and right infront of our section. M state player was spinning trying to make plays get some yards and no way did our guy go high for helmet to helmet. If I see a slow motion replay and he does I will change my mind but he went low and didn't launch high. When stig was out chewing out the refs and m state did a lot for that matter to me means there were more then enough questionablt calls at best. They missed what appeared to be holding several times on the m state o line.

I think the coahes should make every player on the team read the inner game of tennis. Basically teaches you that you know what you need to do so instead of thinking about just react and do it. Really would help the mental mistakes we make. Hammer home the point about do the right thing. (Ie) sumner throw it away to avoid the sack, godley take a knee punt returner letting it go over your head if its inside they 10(which they finally did this week).
    Take the wins when we can get them. Our offense was terrible and MSU even rushed for more yards than we did. I don't expect most to agree with me here but I think we are running the same offensive schemes that we ran last yr. MSU had more variety in their offense than we did. We are so predictable and boring. Never a side screen, never a reverse of any kind, never a trick play, rarely try to throw deep etc etc etc.. Get another win here in a couple of weeks and then watch out as
    REALITY is going to hit. Our defense is good not great. We gave up close to 400 yards last night and over 200 yards rushing.

Comment

xxxx
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
        Take the wins when we can get them. Our offense was terrible and MSU even rushed for more yards than we did. I don't expect most to agree with me here but I think we are running the same offensive schemes that we ran last yr. MSU had more variety in their offense than we did. We are so predictable and boring. Never a side screen, never a reverse of any kind, never a trick play, rarely try to throw deep etc etc etc.. Get another win here in a couple of weeks and then watch out as
        REALITY is going to hit. Our defense is good not great. We gave up close to 400 yards last night and over 200 yards rushing.
        I'll grant that I am a guy who is basically obsessed with the play-action pass, so imagine my shock when we actually ran one (and gained 15 yards) last night. The defense must have been stunned that it was actually called. I know I was.
        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
          I'll grant that I am a guy who is basically obsessed with the play-action pass, so imagine my shock when we actually ran one (and gained 15 yards) last night. The defense must have been stunned that it was actually called. I know I was.
          Haha. I have been calling for more use of play action for years on this board. It's ridiculous with how much we run the ball that we don't utilize it more (or some).
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

S. Dakota State 17, Missouri St. 7
            Associated Press

BROOKINGS, S.D. -- Zach Zenner got South Dakota State off and running with an 88-yard touchdown run in the first quarter, and the Lumberjacks went on to post a 17-7 victory over Missouri State on Saturday night.

That's the opening write up on espn. Atleast jacks was part of the team name. Another fail by the media.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Is this the most moribund group of fans of a 4-1, contending team in America. Jacks did not play their top game, won, and are 4-1. Would you rather be UNI today?

Comment

We're hearing folks use the words ugly and weird to describe last night. Those are kind words for bad. There was a lot of bad on that field last night. We cannot continue to rely and 60-, 70-, 80-yard runs by Zenner every week. The offense needs to get its crap together. How many times were they handed the ball deep in Missouri State territory last night? And to put up only 17 is a joke. The turnovers were horrible, and kept what should have been comfortable win close the whole way...even if Missouri State is a "good" winless team. Two big problems with Sumner. One, obviously, is the interceptions. All three were bad. One was tipped, but it was a pass to a receiver who was blanketed. And that's the reason it was tipped and picked. The other thing he's doing is holding the ball way too long...taking way too many sacks. One likely cost us a field goal opportunity. Even if receivers aren't getting open downfield, he needs to throw it away. If he's not better against Western, then the thumb excuse becomes invalid. If we're going to beat the teams at the top of the table, he needs to be far better.
                One difference I've noticed with Sumner is that he isn't very eager to tuck it in and run if the pass isn't there. It seems to me that last year he made some good yardage with his legs rather than just staying in the pocket and looking around.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  Is this the most moribund group of fans of a 4-1, contending team in America. Jacks did not play their top game, won, and are 4-1. Would you rather be UNI today?
                  Hey, at least we have you around to tell us how to act and what we can and can't talk about.

Comment

Watching the replay on ESPN3 and the crowd looked and sounded pretty good. I was really impressed by whoever was broadcasting the game. Seemed knowledgeable and the did a great job of highlighting different things about the game and SDSU. They talked about the Beef Bowl, the academics and a bunch of other things. I've only watched the first half, but I am impressed.

Comment

We're hearing folks use the words ugly and weird to describe last night. Those are kind words for bad. There was a lot of bad on that field last night. We cannot continue to rely and 60-, 70-, 80-yard runs by Zenner every week. The offense needs to get its crap together. How many times were they handed the ball deep in Missouri State territory last night? And to put up only 17 is a joke. The turnovers were horrible, and kept what should have been comfortable win close the whole way...even if Missouri State is a "good" winless team. Two big problems with Sumner. One, obviously, is the interceptions. All three were bad. One was tipped, but it was a pass to a receiver who was blanketed. And that's the reason it was tipped and picked. The other thing he's doing is holding the ball way too long...taking way too many sacks. One likely cost us a field goal opportunity. Even if receivers aren't getting open downfield, he needs to throw it away. If he's not better against Western, then the thumb excuse becomes invalid. If we're going to beat the teams at the top of the table, he needs to be far better.

We can't just hang it on the defense and hold our breath all night. It's not fair. And Missouri State showed ways to pick up some good yards by using speed around the ends. That as very effective. Good game plan, and we weren't really able to stop it much. Other coaches, I am sure, will take note. Thankfully, we forced some turnovers. Obviously, the interception return at the end of the game was a bonehead play for the ages. Pull your head out. Be aware of game the game situation. Not interested in reading anything defending that play.

Have we returned a punt all season long? Have we done anything besides fair catch one or letting them bounce? Not in home games, I don't think. At least smart fair catch decisions were made last night, but we still have to improve.

The time out called at the end of the half on fourth and two when the defense was gassed and it was an obvious go-for-it situation was stupid. Don't know whose idea it was, but it was foolish. We're lucky it didn't cost us. The quarterback draw on third and five was also a horrible call. I think that was right before the missed field goal. And we had a third and one where we ran the ball without Zenner on the field. That's just silly. I understand he needs breaks, but to not have your best player on the field for an important play doesn't make any sense.

Thank heaven for the defense and ZZ. They are saviors. And the offensive run blocking. Would like to see some 12 or 16 yard runs in there instead of 2, 5, 0, 88, 3, 1, 5. Those things aside, everything else is at fail level given the fact we're at the halfway point of the season. Haven't seen the away games, but have been to both home games. It's not confidence-inspiring, and we're not a Top 25 team from what I've seen. Very happy to be 4-1, but there is still sooooooo much work to do. Probably a good time for the bye week, and then a poor team to roll into town. Get some time to heal up and improve.

Take out the punt receiver and punt kicker out of the equation,and it's 10 on 10 blocking.To get a punt return instead of a fair catch,we need better blocking schemes on punts.Unless we're going for punt blocks,but we don't get those either.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

After the bye week, we will truly know how good the offense will be and what the potential will be. I think what's lost in all this, is that Sumner lost probably the most important practice times after he injured his thumb. Also with the injury being on his throwing hand is the worst it can get. Despite Sumners poor play this year, there has been flashes of last year and what he can become. I expect the passing game to come out strong after the bye week
                        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

4 win but only isu blue is a quality win imo. If we play like this we aren't beating uni ndsu or youngstown. That means we have to beat usd western and siu to get 7 wins. Which I will be happy with that record but I think what most of us are unhappy about is we aren't playing our best ball or even seeing improvement in areas that need improvement. ZZ and the D are covering up a lot of difenecies this team has against good but not great teams so far. We are ranked and have not strated a season this good for several years so I am stoaked to be here. If we had to play isu red this year and not western or m state we probably would finish 6-5. Not what I would call a great year. I believe this team can and should be better. I feel the team would expect the same.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

All things considered being 4-1 beating a ranked team and being ranked now I wouldn't have guessed that was possible knowing how many issues and questions we had from last year.

Comment

Last year the offense looked good and the defense looked bad: We lost

This year the offense looks bad and the defense looks good: We win

I'll take the latter.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

What would we be if we played UNI's schedule? Yep u got it 1-4 We'll learn a lot on the 20th of Oct. Go Jacks

Comment

Working...
                                X