Passing Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passing Game

Maybe Dale Moss was just that good and that's why Sumner looked so good last year.

Comment

This should help some of you understand:

1. Sumner should have been in a cast for the first 4 weeks of the season but opted to play with it taped and hope it heals not working out to well. Last week should have been his first week back.

2. Fick hurt himself again last Tuesday and is waiting for a brace for his knee cap to properly keep it in place. We might see him again this season but several reports were he should not play, but finally found a doctor that cleared him.

3. Some one needs to ask our receivers coach why Tiefenthaler can not get on the field?

4. Zenner needs a few less carries when Gandy did the same picking up a first down on 3 run plays and never saw the field again.

5. We are back to the same predictable offense with TOB, actually just fill in #4 and #30 for #6 and #31 and it would be like looking in the mirror.

For the record I like this team and our 4-1 record to start the season but those two home games have a lot to be desired. Let's get to 5-1 and than our preseason is over and the real test begins.

For those who do not agree with all my comments will agree with this: If we run the table we will make the playoffs! Any Objections?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post

1. Sumner should have been in a cast for the first 4 weeks of the season but opted to play with it taped and hope it heals not working out to well. Last week should have been his first week back.

2. Fick hurt himself again last Tuesday and is waiting for a brace for his knee cap to properly keep it in place. We might see him again this season but several reports were he should not play, but finally found a doctor that cleared him.

3. Some one needs to ask our receivers coach why Tiefenthaler can not get on the field?

4. Zenner needs a few less carries when Gandy did the same picking up a first down on 3 run plays and never saw the field again.

5. We are back to the same predictable offense with TOB, actually just fill in #4 and #30 for #6 and #31 and it would be like looking in the mirror.

For the record I like this team and our 4-1 record to start the season but those two home games have a lot to be desired. Let's get to 5-1 and than our preseason is over and the real test begins.

For those who do not agree with all my comments will agree with this: If we run the table we will make the playoffs! Any Objections?
        Totally agree will everything stated.. I think people need to start calling out JDavis seriously. Our Wr's can't get away from anybody this year- absolutely no separation whatsoever. No question Moss was a stud last yr. Everytime Tiefenthaler catches a kickoff return he is a threat to take it to the house. Put him in the slot inside of Rollin and we have something. Oh wait- UNI is a team that utilizes all of its speed- not SDSU. Keep your burners on the bench in the form of Dom Wright and Tiefenthaler.. wow the beat goes on!

Comment

Sumner will improve. When he stepped up in the pocket and threw with his base underneath him he completed passes to his WR's against MSU. When he let the pressure force him outside the pocket he looked less then stellar and made some really bad decisions. The play calling does seem limited and perhaps that is by design. I would really like to see Zenner or Gandy outside the tackles on run plays not just on swing or out routes. I did like the designed roll outs using the tight ends in the 2nd half.

No one can argue the fact that the passing game has been little more than adequate and that it must improve for this team to contend for the ultimate goal which is a national championship. There are a lot of reasons for the struggles and a great deal of expectation that those reasons and therefore the struggles will be overcome. My opinion after watching as closely as my untrained eye can, is that Sumner needs to stick in and step up in the pocket when pressure comes from the outside. When it comes up the middle a "hot" route has to be there. Taking a sack or throwing the ball away is almost never the worst thing a QB can do.

Hoping this bye week allows for most of the issues to be worked out.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I disagree with that statement only because with TOB it was apparent he was either overmatched out there, didn't care anymore, or both (probably both). With Sumner and the current team there is a foundation of success in the passing game. Right now I think the biggest problem is a lack of a deep threat. I would play a 2 deep zone against us in any passing situation and dare Sumner to throw the deep ball down the sidelines where the hole is in 2 deep coverage. Right now he can't seem to make that throw and/or we don't have anyone who can get to that hole in time. I don't think our WR's all of a sudden can't run. It's hard to explain, but it just looks like everyone is uncomfortable in our passing game. From the QB to the WR to the TE. Everyone is pressing.

The biggest thing that should give SDSU fans comfort is that I think everyone can see how badly it bothers Sumner to not be clicking right now. TOB would throw a pick six and walk off the field like it was no big deal. Sumner is peeved. He CARES. He is probably thrilled that we are winning with an outstanding running game, but I promise he would love to bust out a 300 yard game and turn our offense into a freight train. I truly think that will happen with this team. I've only watched 3 of the 5 games, but the talent is there.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I think MilwaukeeJacksAlum is right.

Comment

So, what's new here that helps we dummies understand? That 10-1 gets a team in the playoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  So, what's new here that helps we dummies understand? That 10-1 gets a team in the playoffs?

Wow, first off did not call anyone a name, just figured that some on this board may not have known how bad the injuries really are, and yes 10-1 gets you into the playoffs. So thank you for the rep points.

GBGBGJ!

Comment

I was just saying we are sleep walking on offense, I think Sumner is a great leader and agree with everything you said, i was really just going off of the numbers that have been posted not to take away from the fact we are in a much better place with this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kermit View Post
                      Dale Moss was a dude last year--tough to replace. Then Rollin went down along with two veteran offensive lineman. Oh yeah, the QB has been playing hurt. From my perspective your team has done really well under the circumstances.
                      Couldn't agree more. Austin has looked a lot like a former MN Vikings QB when he lost his Moss. Keep running the ball and playing good defense. Go Rabbits!

Comment

Working...
                      X