Passing Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passing Game

I agree with you in that we have the personnel to have a very good attack. I really like our receivers....hope Hubert keeps "spot" catching 43 yrd catches like he did at the KU game/or all the "spot" catches he has made over the past two years for 1st downs All receivers catch and drop passes, thats part of that position....I read all the other boards that we play, and they all whine about the receivers etc...it just goes with the territory on that position...Rollin, Kool, Hubert, Teif, Sneider, Wright..etc...all understand their jobs, and 75% of the time it is running their defender off or blocking, thats what makes them good.

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
    I have watched every game and here is my take: Sumner's thumb is bothering him, as he is uncharacteristically throwing high. It has nothing to do with personnel. This will get better, and hopefully the run game can keep us rolling until Austin is at full strength! If you want to talk passing game which this thread is about, then let's look at it. Rollin hopefully will get more involved and that will come now that he is recovered. I thought Tiefenthaler filled in well for him when he was out, in fact, I would like to see Tief more in the slot on Rollin's side. Hubert is a good blocker but just runs to a spot and catches the ball. They moved Kool to receiver, which might be his best position, but is struggling a bit. I don't see him being doubled at all. We also have some great tight-ends that are and should be getting more looks. I just see the passing game getting better once Austin's thumb recovers. We are 3-1, enjoy it!!!!
    Jackolantern

Comment

I think Sumners thumb limits the reps during the week so some of the timing routes aren't there. When he can spend a full week of practice without worrying about his thumb and have confidence back in his accuracy, the passing game will flurish again. This might not happen until after the bye week but as long as our defence holds up we should be able to get throught missouri state with what we have now.

Comment

Are Jacks 1-3 or 3-1?

Can't tell by this thread.

Let's see: QB dislocates thumb, plays 10 days later, veteran receiver can't fly after a vicious hit and misses two games, two stud linemen haven't yet played.

And yet it's "obvious" QB has "lost a lot of confidence? Says whom? And the passing game "top bottom" isn't working? Does that include Daughters' two key TD catches?

Alternative thereom. Running game has developed into one of best in nation, injured but tough QB leads young team into Top 25 status, defense gives up fewer yards rushing in three games than Zenner has had on two runs this year, team goes 3-1 with two of its best lineman and one of its top receivers on the sidelines, while playing three of first four games on the road.

Hate to see this string if Jacks were 4-0.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Are Jacks 1-3 or 3-1? Can't tell by this thread. Let's see: QB dislocates thumb, plays 10 days later, veteran receiver can't fly after a vicious hit and misses two games, two stud linemen haven't yet played. And yet it's "obvious" QB has "lost a lot of confidence? Says whom? And the passing game "top bottom" isn't working? Does that include Daughters' two key TD catches? Alternative thereom. Running game has developed into one of best in nation, injured but tough QB leads young team into Top 25 status, defense gives up fewer yards rushing in three games than Zenner has had on two runs this year, team goes 3-1 with two of its best lineman and one of its top receivers on the sidelines, while playing three of first four games on the road. Hate to see this string if Jacks were 4-0.
          Despite all that, the Jacks have not played as well as they should which is mostly what everyone has been saying. As a fan you should never be satisfied and I sure as heck hope the players aren't satisfied with just being 3-1, the season is still early and they have not played as well as they could. When you are satisfied, you become complacement, when you become complacement you lose focus, when you lose focus, you make mistakes and start losing games. Honestly, I'm glad the fans see the potential in the team and hold them to that standard.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            Despite all that, the Jacks have not played as well as they should which is mostly what everyone has been saying. As a fan you should never be satisfied and I sure as heck hope the players aren't satisfied with just being 3-1, the season is still early and they have not played as well as they could. When you are satisfied, you become complacement, when you become complacement you lose focus, when you lose focus, you make mistakes and start losing games. Honestly, I'm glad the fans see the potential in the team and hold them to that standard.
            When do you go to Vegas, lose everything,and sell your hair to a wig factory?.....if you haven't seen the commercial,my apologies,you probably don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              When do you go to Vegas, lose everything,and sell your hair to a wig factory?.....if you haven't seen the commercial,my apologies,you probably don't know what the heck I'm talking about.
              I know exactly what you are talking about, that is a funny commercial from DIRECTV. However, what I was trying to say was you can never be satisfied or you will become complacent, and as fans if you become satisfied you will accept mediocrity. I just think it would behoove of us fans to not be satisfied despite the injuries
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                I know exactly what you are talking about, that is a funny commercial from DIRECTV. However, what I was trying to say was you can never be satisfied or you will become complacent, and as fans if you become satisfied you will accept mediocrity. I just think it would behoove of us fans to not be satisfied despite the injuries
                I agree.

Comment

Are Jacks 1-3 or 3-1?

Let's see: QB dislocates thumb, plays 10 days later, veteran receiver can't fly after a vicious hit and misses two games, two stud linemen haven't yet played.

And yet it's "obvious" QB has "lost a lot of confidence? Says whom? And the passing game "top bottom" isn't working? Does that include Daughters' two key TD catches?

Alternative thereom. Running game has developed into one of best in nation, injured but tough QB leads young team into Top 25 status, defense gives up fewer yards rushing in three games than Zenner has had on two runs this year, team goes 3-1 with two of its best lineman and one of its top receivers on the sidelines, while playing three of first four games on the road.

While I agree that the sky is definitely not falling, there is little doubt the passing game is not as good as it could/should be.

Sumner has completed 47% of his passes. He has thrown 4 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. We are averaging 145 passing yards per game.

We are ranked 101st in passing offense out of 121 teams. If that doesn't change, Zenner will have a tougher time each week doing what he does.

It isn't all Sumner's fault, though. I would say it is a top to bottom issue.

BTW, even with Zenner's stellar season, SDSU is still only the 9 best rushing team in the country.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    I had started to type the "don't end up in a roadside ditch" one, but figured no one would get it....great commercials.

Comment

Ok, I didn't go read every post. Here is my concern. We are obviously running the ball well (understatement of the year I know) and struggling with the pass. It amazes me that we are having that kind of success on the ground given that we are down two lineman, have an QB with an injured hand, and have really struggled throwing the ball. You would think that with our success running and lack of threat passing would be a dream scenario for any defensive? Pack the line full of defenders and dare us to throw the ball. From that standpoint at the snap you can do almost anything with coverage and blitzes which would make it really difficult to know where the pressure is coming from. That certainly is a factor in why the passing game is struggling along with the others. Despite it all, we are killing it on the ground when the defenses know what is coming at them.

Am I off base on that? I'm not worried that things will come around, more making the point how impressed I am by how well we have run the ball in the first four games. A VERY good sign indeed. We will need to have a more balanced attack when we play the top teams in the conference and in particular those games on the road.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I agree. Before the 87 yard run my buddy and I were talking and said "this offense is so predictable, look how many people they have in the box." You don't think that ISU didn't know we were going to run the ball? Boom, the next play the line executed perfectly and got a hat on a hat and Zenner was gone. If we continue to execute to perfection we are still going to get chunks of yards on the ground. Sumner is a good enough QB still that he will be able to hit 1 on 1 receivers. We will be fine, everybody needs to relax.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

My thought is this.Despite the defenses trying to shut down the run, they cannot simply ignore Summners past success and totaly ignore the passing game.I would like to describe our running game as an exercise in patience,that is, they constantly peck away at the defense,and eventually bust a long run or two for the game.It's peck.peck, peck, bam.....TD run.Another thing I'd like to point out, the running game is alway's forward motion, rarely do we lose yardage on the play,over the course of the game,this "forever" forward yardage of the running game adds up to some serious yardage.Add a more "effective" passing game in the near future,and watch out MVFC.Plus,and this is a big plus,these guys believe in each other,and when you get a whole team believing in itself,good things happen.

One more thought,how many times has the execution of the run play been so superb that we get 8,10,15 yards? We are close to busting TD runs a lot of times per game.My hats off to the play callers who match what the defense is showing to which play to run,it's been working most of the time.....hope we have a few run plays we haven't used yet to spring on some unsuspecting foe.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Are Jacks 1-3 or 3-1?

If SDSU was 1-3 it would be all about the passing game. The fact the record stands at 3-1 does not justify the current passing game struggles regardless of the possible reasons. Bottom line, if this team wants to compete for a playoff spot and a national title the passing game (and special teams for that matter) will have to improve while the running game and defense keeps pace.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

One of the reasons for some of Zenner's long runs is because the opposing team is overplaying the run. When the defense has 8 in the box, it may be tougher to get by them, but if you do, there is a lot of open green.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

I have full faith the passing game is going to open up. Teams are going to stack the box more and more and dare Sumner to throw, which is a good thing. It is up to our WR's to get open and make some plays. I expect to see a lot of single coverage on the outside, and we have to take the opportunities to throw on that when we can. As teams will likely have 8 in the box, we will see pressure with that as well. 3 steps drops and quick passes are key. I really like the way Eidsness is calling a game, making good in game adjustments as well, so once again, I see it opening up.

Comment

Working...
                                X