Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passing Game

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    My thought is this.Despite the defenses trying to shut down the run, they cannot simply ignore Summners past success and totaly ignore the passing game.I would like to describe our running game as an exercise in patience,that is, they constantly peck away at the defense,and eventually bust a long run or two for the game.It's peck.peck, peck, bam.....TD run.Another thing I'd like to point out, the running game is alway's forward motion, rarely do we lose yardage on the play,over the course of the game,this "forever" forward yardage of the running game adds up to some serious yardage.Add a more "effective" passing game in the near future,and watch out MVFC.Plus,and this is a big plus,these guys believe in each other,and when you get a whole team believing in itself,good things happen.
    This

Comment

Jacks threw for nearly 1,000 yards in their first four games last year and were outscored 152-59. Give me a dominant running game and defense any time. Sumner has proven he can do it. The guy's been injured and so has his top receiver. How is that systemic?

Comment

1. I love what I'm seeing out of the running game. Show me a team that can run it well and I will show you a team that is tough to beat!

2. I believe the passing game will come around. There are a lot of reasons for the struggles and lots of reasons to think it will improve.

3. The D has been incredible.

How many of us are very pleasantly suprised by where we are after week 4? Put me in that group! Lots of area to grow also. Going to be a fun season to see unfold! Let's turn the page!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

When the passing game comes around, which may occur this weekend, this team will can be consider a contender for the crown. The reasons for the struggles are well documented, I don't buy them as excuses, they are reasons. Does it appear to be systemic? Can't answer that because of the reasons offered. When those reasons are resolved and the passing game improves it does not change the fact that there has been an issue up to this point.

What I'm saying is, when it gets better, like we all expect it too, I don't want people referencing this thread trying to say "I told you so", that isn't the point at all. Injuries affect every team, drops happen, they key is to win the game despite them. There is no arguing with a 3-0 FCS record.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Question: Is this years Jacks team not unlike last years Bison team?

By that I mean, solid run game and a QB that manages the game well (even if he does have only 4 td to 6 picks) and a stellar defense? I assume 4 games in Jensen probably average more than 150 yds passing and had better than a 4:6 TD/INT ratio, but to me, the similarities are there.

May the end of the season hold the same similarities.

*edit*

I looked up the Bison stats through 4 games last year...Jensen was 57-78, 5 TD's, 0 INT's, 185ypg, and the Bison avg 188 ypg on the ground. And we all know how well their D performed.

Short of Sumners #'s vs Jensen's #'s, I'd say the two teams are pretty similar.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
              Question: Is this years Jacks team not unlike last years Bison team?

By that I mean, solid run game and a QB that manages the game well (even if he does have only 4 td to 6 picks) and a stellar defense? I assume 4 games in Jensen probably average more than 150 yds passing and had better than a 4:6 TD/INT ratio, but to me, the similarities are there.

May the end of the season hold the same similarities.

*edit*

I looked up the Bison stats through 4 games last year...Jensen was 57-78, 5 TD's, 0 INT's, 185ypg, and the Bison avg 188 ypg on the ground. And we all know how well their D performed.

Short of Sumners #'s vs Jensen's #'s, I'd say the two teams are pretty similar.
              A little apples and buffalo chip there. Two of NDSU's first four opponents last year were non-scholarship Lafayette and eventual two-game-winner St. Francis, and three of the four games were at home. Jacks overall have had tougher opponents so far this year and have played three of four on the road.

Comment

Spot on about our passing game. When Sumners thumb is 100% we will have a passing game better than last year to go along with that excellent running game. The defense has been outstanding. I am hearing sumner is about 80%. Soon people will and they already have at times stacked the box trying to stop ZZ. Austin will be able to open up our passing whenever he and the coaching staff are ready. I am really confortable with this team with the exception being our special teams. Shore that up and we will be a tough team to beat.

GBGBGJ

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                Jacks threw for nearly 1,000 yards in their first four games last year and were outscored 152-59. Give me a dominant running game and defense any time. Sumner has proven he can do it. The guy's been injured and so has his top receiver. How is that systemic?

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                  I have full faith the passing game is going to open up. Teams are going to stack the box more and more and dare Sumner to throw, which is a good thing. It is up to our WR's to get open and make some plays. I expect to see a lot of single coverage on the outside, and we have to take the opportunities to throw on that when we can. As teams will likely have 8 in the box, we will see pressure with that as well. 3 steps drops and quick passes are key. I really like the way Eidsness is calling a game, making good in game adjustments as well, so once again, I see it opening up.
                  Very good point about Eidsness. He is doing an excellant job as offensive coordinator. How many of you guys miss Meadows now?

When Austin's thumb heals and the O-line is 100% - then start judging the passing game.

The Jacks are impressive. As many have said - their record is impressive. Take care of business on Saturday and they are off to a very impressive start. Win 2 out of 3 against Northern Iowa, NDSU, and Illinois State and they should have a great seed for the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                    Very good point about Eidsness. He is doing an excellant job as offensive coordinator. How many of you guys miss Meadows now?

When Austin's thumb heals and the O-line is 100% - then start judging the passing game.

The Jacks are impressive. As many have said - their record is impressive. Take care of business on Saturday and they are off to a very impressive start. Win 2 out of 3 against Northern Iowa, NDSU, and Illinois State and they should have a great seed for the playoffs.
                    Winning 2 of 3 against UNI, NDSU, and Illinois St will be awfully tough for many reasons, the first of which being the fact we don't play Illinois St. this year.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

Good post, only we don't play Illinois State this year. The third team out of the three you mentioned should have been Youngstown State. We get them for Hobo Day, and as long as we take care of business in these next two games, Hobo Day could end up being one of the biggest crowds in CAS history. With the way this team is playing, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see more attendance records fall. They have a chance to be special. Excited for Saturday!!

Comment

I guess what probably bugs me is that WRs are not seeming to break away from coverage very well. Austin takes to many sacks and I know a lot say to throw the ball away if the play is not there but I think he is trying to wait so a WR can get open. From what I have noticed is that some games he flat out didnt see an open WR. Last year Moss had big play potential all over him, Rollin had a great year too. Hopefully with guys healthy, kool is a threat and TT and Jason S and a reliable guy like hubert I think we have the ability to really spread the ball around. Dont forget how good our tight ends can be too. Getting them down the seam to pull a LB or Safety over could open huge areas for the team because the tightends need to be respected. I am so looking for the the game saturday, i cant wait. I keep getting in trouble at work for talking to much SDSU sports around the office. Apparently it takes away from my ability to do my work. Well when I work with a former SDSU football player, its hard to focus on work during college football, and basketball season for that matter. Come April i will be able to focus on work with out much distraction from SDSU.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          I guess what probably bugs me is that WRs are not seeming to break away from coverage very well. Austin takes to many sacks and I know a lot say to throw the ball away if the play is not there but I think he is trying to wait so a WR can get open. From what I have noticed is that some games he flat out didnt see an open WR. Last year Moss had big play potential all over him, Rollin had a great year too. Hopefully with guys healthy, kool is a threat and TT and Jason S and a reliable guy like hubert I think we have the ability to really spread the ball around. Dont forget how good our tight ends can be too. Getting them down the seam to pull a LB or Safety over could open huge areas for the team because the tightends need to be respected. I am so looking for the the game saturday, i cant wait. I keep getting in trouble at work for talking to much SDSU sports around the office. Apparently it takes away from my ability to do my work. Well when I work with a former SDSU football player, its hard to focus on work during college football, and basketball season for that matter. Come April i will be able to focus on work with out much distraction from SDSU.
                          Maybe mix up the routes a little,find something that works?Maybe they're working on it as we speak,hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            Maybe mix up the routes a little,find something that works?Maybe they're working on it as we speak,hopefully.
                            Hopefully, Last year them seemed to thrive on it and break open for some big plays. I think moss had something to do with that, but the guys still should be able too. I would be surprised if we dont see a better passing game saturday.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                              Winning 2 of 3 against UNI, NDSU, and Illinois St will be awfully tough for many reasons, the first of which being the fact we don't play Illinois St. this year.
                              All I can is "DOPE". Sry - should have said Youngstown as mentioned to. LOL I messed up. This is the year we should play Illinois State, we owe them big time. But idiot me forgot to check the schedule.

Comment

Sumner practiced yesterday without any tape on his throwing hand. Let's hope this is the week we see the passing game come around.
                                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                                X