Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passing Game

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    One of the reasons for some of Zenner's long runs is because the opposing team is overplaying the run. When the defense has 8 in the box, it may be tougher to get by them, but if you do, there is a lot of open green.
    I was about to post the same thing.

If you stack the line, you better get to the back early, because if he hits a crease, there isn't much left to stop him.

The run blocking has been tremendous yes, and some of it is Zach's ability to break through tackles.

Not too worried about the passing game yet, but it is a concern.

Certainly the two OL out are a factor,
    Rollin getting hurt is a factor
    Kool just returning to the position is a factor.
    Sumner's thumb is a factor.

Add all that up, and the fact we're running the ball well... yeah the passing game has struggled a bit.

I think it will start to come around, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Maybe mix up the routes a little,find something that works?Maybe they're working on it as we speak,hopefully.
      Maybe GOON should take this advice... then ppl wouldn't mind the SDSU talk as they wouldn't hear it as much.. Goon try to MIX up your Routes at work.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
        Maybe GOON should take this advice... then ppl wouldn't mind the SDSU talk as they wouldn't hear it as much.. Goon try to MIX up your Routes at work.
        Imagine the chaos if goon was a bus driver...
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
          I was about to post the same thing.

If you stack the line, you better get to the back early, because if he hits a crease, there isn't much left to stop him.

The run blocking has been tremendous yes, and some of it is Zach's ability to break through tackles.

Not too worried about the passing game yet, but it is a concern.

Certainly the two OL out are a factor,
          Rollin getting hurt is a factor
          Kool just returning to the position is a factor.
          Sumner's thumb is a factor.

Add all that up, and the fact we're running the ball well... yeah the passing game has struggled a bit.

I think it will start to come around, though.
          Stacking the line against a really quick and fast running back who finds creases quickly is a really dumb thing to do.What are they trying to do,get him in the backfield?I'd exploit that strategy all game long.

Comment

I usually get mixed up at work all the time.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              ...hope we have a few run plays we haven't used yet to spring on some unsuspecting foe.
              ...this isn't your first year watching the Jacks right? We've run the plays we're going to run. It's the same playbook as this. Select One: Run Ranek Right, Run Ranek Left

If it keeps adding up to wins......I'm good with it.
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                ...this isn't your first year watching the Jacks right? We've run the plays we're going to run. It's the same playbook as this. Select One: Run Ranek Right, Run Ranek Left

If it keeps adding up to wins......I'm good with it.
                I'm down with this as long as we don't "run into the Pile over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over. you get the picture. I hate when teams do that! our runs inside of the tackles do not seem to work very well, then again, nor does anybody else's.
                Last edited by slosho; 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM. Reason: Double negitive

Comment

I'm down with this as long as we don't "run into the Pile over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over. you get the picture. I hate when teams do that! our runs inside of the tackles do not seem to work very well, then again, nor does anybody else's.
                  I could be wrong, but I would guess that almost all of Zenner's rushes over 20 yards (about 10 this season, right?) and over 90 percent of all his total runs have been inside the tackles. Hard to say its not working.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    I could be wrong, but I would guess that almost all of Zenner's rushes over 20 yards (about 10 this season, right?) and over 90 percent of all his total runs have been inside the tackles. Hard to say its not working.
                    This year seems to be the exception to the rule. Last year trying to run there all year we couldn't break 1000 yards all season. I think its how you disquise it. Delay hand offs. Run out of passing sets. Blocking assignments and pulling blockers etc. A super experienced line seems to be helping and zenners breaking tackles anf break away speed sure don't hurt any. I think slosho means just trying to run up the middle of a brink wall with no luck and no variation from that plan doesn't always make sense. But then again kbowing slosho from his high school and college days he never made much sense then either.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

it's 100% certain that at least one of is going to be wrong 50% of the time.. unless we agree.

Comment

So did we agree that runs between the tackles do work? Or are runs between the tackles out of passing sets, with delayed handoffs, or with pulling blockers not considered runs between the tackles? I'm confused.

I'm not sure how anybody could say our running game, or plays, aren't working.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                          So did we agree that runs between the tackles do work? Or are runs between the tackles out of passing sets, with delayed handoffs, or with pulling blockers not considered runs between the tackles? I'm confused.

I'm not sure how anybody could say our running game, or plays, aren't working.
                          Me too.

I think some are confusing running a "dive" play (run straight up the middle) with meaning "running between the tackles." Let's put it this way: All "dives" are "runs between the tackles," but not all "runs between the tackles" are "dives."

We run very few, if any, sweeps and off tackle plays (which would be considered "outside the tackles"), and when we do attack the edge it's usually with a swing pass. That means almost all of the Jacks running plays at least start "between the tackles," but since we have been running plays that give the ball carrier options (zone reads, traps) this year, the running back reads the defense and adjusts accordingly. Think of the two long TD runs by Zenner against UC-Davis: Both started between the tackles, but the first TD run stayed between the tackles (because that's where the hole was) while the second TD run Zenner bounced it outside because the defense had the middle filled.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

With zone blocking schemes you don't need a lot of running 'plays'. Man on man and move up to the next level. Many teams run inside zone and outside zone and not much else other than some trap plays.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Jacks are pulling guards more this year than in the past five. They did a few times last year. The pulling guard is not pure zone blocking. The combination is working well whatever you want to name it. Last year when they ran, it seemed the QB would hand off to the back who had no running start towards the line of scrimage on the majority of plays. I see much better offense this year. Can we give credit to the new Offensive coordinator? Or is it just me that sees this?
                              Watch, when the passing game gets going, along with the good running game and good defense, Jacks have potential. They have decent experiance. We could be on a great run this year. But, like Stig says, one game at a time. I'm just sitting back and enjoying a better called game on offense, with better execution. Sumner thumb though, in my opinion, is why the passing game is still stagnent. It is a huge factor.

Comment

Let's take a look at the Mo St Beef Bowl W - Running 44 plays - 194 yards, although 88 of that total was on one run. Sumner, through the air 17-27-3. Sumner hit 6 different receivers. Total yards through the air, 192. TOP, 34:05.

That's the definition of a balanced attack. About a 60/40 split running vs passing. Jacks were in control of game the whole way, although MoSt got closer than expected based on the record difference.

When Sumner is fully healthy, which should be starting with the next game vs WIU, I'd expect to see his proficiency back into the 60-65% range, and if he'll get better about throwing away passes, rather than interceptions, Jacks should be good in the passing dept.

Comment

Working...
                                X