Fall Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall Camp

I'd like some insight on fall camp injuries from our own posters who were college football players. Are these injuries something to be concerned about? Does it come down to personal conditioning, or does it get put on the shoulders of the strength and conditioning coach? Or none of the above?

I would expect a few injuries, but this list seems borderline mind-boggling.

On one of the Notre Dame boards I post on (Irishenvy.com), anytime there is an injury during spring ball or fall camp they all want to string up the strength & conditioning coach. Strength and conditioning was a major issue during the Weis era, but not so much with Paul Mongo at the helm under Brian Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      I'd like some insight on fall camp injuries from our own posters who were college football players. Are these injuries something to be concerned about? Does it come down to personal conditioning, or does it get put on the shoulders of the strength and conditioning coach? Or none of the above?

On one of the Notre Dame boards I post on (Irishenvy.com), anytime there is an injury during spring ball or fall camp they all want to string up the strength & conditioning coach. Strength and conditioning was a major issue during the Weis era, but not so much with Paul Mongo at the helm under Brian Kelly.
      Fall camp injuries just happen, unfortunately. It definitely isn't the fault of Nate Moe. He's an outstanding S&C coach. Without him, this program would not have seen the successes it has during the D-1 transition years.

Back when I was a senior ('07), we had some guys get hurt simply by bad luck. I remember Justin Kubesh tore his ACL and he was one of the most dedicated gym rats on the team. The fall camp Stig and crew run is a very physical camp compared to some of my friends who played at other schools (mainly USAFA and Tennessee) and that may have something to do with it. It's simple math that the more you bash on each other, the more likely you are to get injured. But if you don't do that, you can't expect the type of Jackrabbit football we've grown accustomed to.

Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. Just bad luck is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        The OL injuries are the most worrisome. Not too worried about the RB, took Stig all of 2011 to realize he had a third RB(Clare). WR I think we were pretty deep at anyways.
        While I wasn't a fan of the constant rotation of offensive linemen last year, it may pay some dividends this year. We now have some 2nd stringers with quality game experience, so hopefully they can at least hold down the fort until Fick and Parker get healthy.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

I think it all depends on the injury. If its pulls and strains then it probably has something to do with conditioning, but if its stress fractures, ligament tears and concussions then its probably just bad luck.

Injuries happen, the key is to make sure you know how to handle them (don't send out injured players and make it worse), and have guys that are ready to step in.

Comment

Yes the constant rotation will hopefully pay off this year as it looks like we will need some guys to step up in a big way.

Comment

Perhaps this continued physical champ year after year and the injuries that result are why the Jacks continue to get off to a slow start. Football is a physical sport but does it need to be that high risk physical in fall ball? I keep thinking about St. John's (Mn) that does not have physical fall practice and compete for championships year after year. Now, I know SJ's is not a D1 program but maybe scale it down it bit to keep kids healthy. For the first time a many years the Jacks need to get off to a good start. It will be a demanding Valley schedule. Go Jacks

GBGBGJ

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
              Fall camp injuries just happen, unfortunately. It definitely isn't the fault of Nate Moe. He's an outstanding S&C coach. Without him, this program would not have seen the successes it has during the D-1 transition years.

Back when I was a senior ('07), we had some guys get hurt simply by bad luck. I remember Justin Kubesh tore his ACL and he was one of the most dedicated gym rats on the team. The fall camp Stig and crew run is a very physical camp compared to some of my friends who played at other schools (mainly USAFA and Tennessee) and that may have something to do with it. It's simple math that the more you bash on each other, the more likely you are to get injured. But if you don't do that, you can't expect the type of Jackrabbit football we've grown accustomed to.

Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. Just bad luck is all.

Comment

Anyone aware of how Kool, Parker, and Fick are coming along?
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                X