Spring Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Ball

Many college WR's were QB's in high school. Many try to be recruited as a QB but they are a good enough athlete to get more looks as a WR then as a QB, all what I'm saying is if he is that athletic he should be on the field. I don't think SDSU needs a dual-QB package, as in 1 possession, 1 possession or 2 possessions 1 possession. How the RB's have rotated. But I think a 2-3 possessions (depending on the game), where he came in and ran a modified offense to fit his style, wouldn't be the worst idea, but I'm all about expanding the playbook, and changing things up.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
      Wow. This statement really confuses me. Do you know how many NFL players played QB earlier in their careers and switched to WR? Do you know how many Jacks were recruited at QB and switched postitions? C'mon. Jake Steffan and Derek Domino were HS QB's. QB's by nature are supposed to be great athletes.
      They might have been high school QB's,but they were not recruited for that position. Are you telling me Derek Domino was recruited to play QB for the Jacks ? By all reports,Kline is a very good QB,and first in line if Sumner goes down. I would prefer that he be on the sidelines learning the system and becoming familiar with play calling rather than running pass routes.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        They might have been high school QB's,but they were not recruited for that position. Are you telling me Derek Domino was recruited to play QB for the Jacks ? By all reports,Kline is a very good QB,and first in line if Sumner goes down. I would prefer that he be on the sidelines learning the system and becoming familiar with play calling rather than running pass routes.
        You mean learning the three running plays and the seven passing plays?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Does Russell Shepard ring a bell? He was a top-10 national recruit as a QB switched to WR in college. Ryan Tannehill was recruited as QB played WR for two years and QB his senior year possibly first round pick. Kansas' former back-up QB Kerry Meier was recruited as a dual-threat QB but ending up playing WR WHILE being back-up QB and he ended doing so well he stayed at WR and was a 5th round pick in 2010. Yes, players recruited as QBs play WR during college. Nobody is saying he would stay at WR, but you need to utilize him someway. QBs know the routes so why not use him as a WR. As far as standing on the sideline, learning the offense. You learn the system in practice not as much as games. But seriously how many reps does back-up QBs even get? Playing both positions would require him to stay late after practice and work on his routes with Sumner and honestly that could be a good thing for both players involved. Seriously, Klein was recruited as a Dual-threat QB so he obviously is athletic so why not try him at WR and develop him as a QB and if he succeeds at WR why not keep him at WR if he performs better as a WR than QB in practice and go out and recruit other QBs. He can still develop as a WR and QB and play QB his senior year if it's best for the team but why not try it!?! It can't hurt.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I'd agree with more of the clip-board idea if Sumner was a senior. But with 1 year in front of them, you can't say learn the offense for the next 3 years, because you will get your shot some day, especially if he is a good enough athlete to contribute in some area right now.

Comment

I think the reason they're practicing a limited playbook is so they can work on fundamentals... The past couple of seasons, I've seen where some players have made mental mistakes on fundamentals, dropped balls, missed blocks, wrong reads. I think what Stig wants to do is concentrate on making sure they take care of the little things, so that when they start working on more plays, they do them right. Basically, work on those things NOW and get them out of the way so they don't become problems later on, when you're concentrating more on preparing for the next opponent.

Does this mean they're only going to have 10 plays come the first game of the season? Highly doubtful.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                Does this mean they're only going to have 10 plays come the first game of the season? Highly doubtful.
                Wait a minute....we're going to run more than 10 plays this year? Well that will be refreshing.Hopefully that stupid quick 3 yard pass to the receiver will finally be thrown out....wait...I think it worked once...we better keep that, it's great in goal line situations against BCS schools.
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

So does anyone actually have real input or analysis from spring practices or is this thread just going to be used for pointless wild speculation on our backup QB?

That kind of seems to be a seasonally recurring trend on these threads huh?

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                    Does Russell Shepard ring a bell? He was a top-10 national recruit as a QB switched to WR in college. Ryan Tannehill was recruited as QB played WR for two years and QB his senior year possibly first round pick. Kansas' former back-up QB Kerry Meier was recruited as a dual-threat QB but ending up playing WR WHILE being back-up QB and he ended doing so well he stayed at WR and was a 5th round pick in 2010. Yes, players recruited as QBs play WR during college. Nobody is saying he would stay at WR, but you need to utilize him someway. QBs know the routes so why not use him as a WR. As far as standing on the sideline, learning the offense. You learn the system in practice not as much as games. But seriously how many reps does back-up QBs even get? Playing both positions would require him to stay late after practice and work on his routes with Sumner and honestly that could be a good thing for both players involved. Seriously, Klein was recruited as a Dual-threat QB so he obviously is athletic so why not try him at WR and develop him as a QB and if he succeeds at WR why not keep him at WR if he performs better as a WR than QB in practice and go out and recruit other QBs. He can still develop as a WR and QB and play QB his senior year if it's best for the team but why not try it!?! It can't hurt.
                    This. Rep points.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      So does anyone actually have real input or analysis from spring practices or is this thread just going to be used for pointless wild speculation on our backup QB?

That kind of seems to be a seasonally recurring trend on these threads huh?
                      I have some input from spring practice. From what I hear, the O-line coach is doing a great job. Instaid of being graded only on technique, the most important grade the O-linemen are recieving is - are they beating their man and getting their job done? I also heard that the O-line coach, I have to check on his name apologize, is running faster, more intense drills than Meadows did. All very positive.

From what I heard about the running game, the RB's have the option of picking a hole and hitting it quick. So the three run plays involve all the options.

Theee Catrabbit has a point.

The three running plays and 7 passing plays were all kinda tongue in cheek on my part. Terry V., great football mind that he is, mentioned this in his Argus column. Isn't it conveniant that the Argus always makes Terry take vacation during spring ball. I bet the Bison get spring ball coverage from their newspaper.

Comment

From what I heard about the running game, the RB's have the option of picking a hole and hitting it quick. So the three run plays involve all the options.
                        This is very good to hear. I thought the Jacks' running backs were put in position to fail a lot last year because many of our play calls gave them little chance to use their vision and judgement.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Isn't it conveniant that the Argus always makes Terry take vacation during spring ball. I bet the Bison get spring ball coverage from their newspaper.
                          It's not vacation... he was on corporate-mandated furlough this week. Unlike vacation, you don't get paid on furlough. Same thing happened to Zimmer this week, as well as one of my other friends at the Argus.

Rather funny they're taking unpaid leave when the CEO is getting a 32-million dollar severance package after cutting some 20,000 jobs at Gannett. I never realized Terry, Matt and my other friends were this generous. *sarc*
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            This is very good to hear. I thought the Jacks' running backs were put in position to fail a lot last year because many of our play calls gave them little chance to use their vision and judgement.
                            I think a lot of the running back struggles have also come from linemen and blocks missing and getting beat for position not getting assignments right. when we kept getting stuffed at the line, that is the linemans job to atleast give some sort of opening.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I do agree the o lineman struggled something fierce in the run game(pass pro too). I think the problems were across the board, not just on the oline. I always thought their splits were way too tight, for how long our line really is. Tall tackles and guards!! We rarely ran an outside zone. Everything was an inside zone. Go back and watch I believe, it was the NDSU game. On states athletic page were they show the compressed game. We are on the north end heading south. We run a play and line seals everything off and the TE comes across and either kicks the linebacker out or seals the edge(TE's read). The TE seals the edge but the rb stayed inside and ran right in to the back of our right guard. The play was ran perfectly, if he bounces it out he is off to the races. Last years poor run game I think was a combination of poor coaching (splits, rotation, plays). Over confident oline thinking they do not need to improve and will just show up and get 100 yards a game and lastly inexperienced rbs.

From what I heard the new oline coach is well liked and has changed up the way the oline practices. Faster and more aggresive tempo. They are doing different drills. Also heard he has a lot of passion and fire, which can only be a good thing.

On the 3 running plays. Im sure its inside zone, outside zone and some other man blocking play probably power. Inside and Outside zone is probably 90% of the running plays any college runs. There is just hundreds of ways to run it.

Comment

What about Jimmy Rogers? I'm just sayin'........
                                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                                X