Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Uniforms

Originally posted by scubasteve View Post
    They could wear pink unitards if they won every game for all i care about what the wear. Yea i like the modern look, but understand why tradition matters (ei Alabama football). I think SDSU is going more contemporary is to continue to try to catch eyes and build the program and brand from a commercial standpoint as well as on the field performance. They have to maximize their return on everything they do, as their athletic budgets comparatively to other FCS schools is modest at best.
    Alright, that is very well put. It isn't like we have a super-strong tradition of making the playoffs every year and a slew of conference titles. That is what we all want to start competing for. We have been traditionally better than average but not great. Time to make the next step! All of the things being done are to help make that happen.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think they are OK, not great. For UA, this is a tame uniform. Compared to the yellow Bison rags (worst uniform ever), this is amazing. The Blue Jersey Yellow pant is very sharp, I don't like the blue on blue (never have). Bottom line, it could have been A LOT worse, remember the Maryland Uni's?
      Now let's get to the games!

Comment

I agree that I like the Blue Jersey yellow pants, and the White Jersey Blue pants. Both of those look pretty good.

Don't like the white with the yellow, or the solid blue.

Overall, I think they are OK. They could be a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
          I agree that I like the Blue Jersey yellow pants, and the White Jersey Blue pants. Both of those look pretty good.

Don't like the white with the yellow, or the solid blue.

Overall, I think they are OK. They could be a lot worse.
          That is true.

As a traditional (see bland) look supporter, I do like some flash once in awhile.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, an all white look would be awesome.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It's nice the Under Armor color coordinated their X logo with the school colors. Nike didn't. Their swooshes on our jerseys were white, which was fine. But their swoosh on the pants was black, which looked bad. Then again, we pretty much got the bottom-of-the-barrel Nike gear, I'd say. Especially those first jerseys we had. I know some folks liked them, but they may or may not have been a step above practice tops. I'm mostly talking about in construction, if you ever saw them up close, but there wasn't a whole lot of thought that went into the design of how they looked, either. You could say the same of our basketball uniforms. They looked nice, but they were standard Nike stuff, and many other schools had the same design. I'm excited to see what UA will hook us up with. As long as it's not something Baylor-like, we should be good. Black for football? I say no. But for basketball, yes. Why the double-standard? I have no idea. And like everybody else, I'd be fine with wearing bright orange if we were winning. Anything but red, I suppose.
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              That is true.

As a traditional (see bland) look supporter, I do like some flash once in awhile.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, an all white look would be awesome.
              I am glad someone else would love to see a White pant, I think the blue jersey with White pant or white on white would look great.

Comment

I know we dont have the pedigree to go totally traditional uniform like bama. Neb, penn state untill now, but I dont want us to only try to get attention from wearing flashy uniforms or outlandish stuff(see Maryland). I think its a mix of traditonal with a bit more color, just dont care for the color on the shoulder pads, it looks unfinished to me, dont mind the pants though. I would like to see SDSU as it changes some uniforms from years to years to go back to the solid blue tops with only yellow numbers with the all yellow pants. I think this is a mix taht should look good and fairly plain but ads color so its not dull but not over the top it would be obnoxious.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Point taken goon,

I just think SDSU is in a precarious situation when it comes to not expanding and changing its image given the athletic budgets and CURRENT facilities. A little flash says to some recruits this is a progressive university that you will never forget. Where as tradition appeals to others. I really feel they are trying to cover all of the bases as best they can...to diversify (hope thats a good word for this situation) their approach towards multiple hurdles in the eyes of fans, recruits, the program in general, etc.

What I assume is that UA is giving SDSU a much better deal than Nike was. (UA usually is cheaper, for an on par or better product)
                  UA did a good job of not going too far with the flash. (I think they realize that SDSU is not Maryland or Texas Tech)
                  I will reiterate, they can wear pink and purple uniforms as long as they win in my book. (Still the same jackrabbits regardless of the cloth on they pads so I can't care what cloth they wear really, long as they are winning)

Comment

Point taken goon,

I just think SDSU is in a precarious situation when it comes to not expanding and changing its image given the athletic budgets and CURRENT facilities. A little flash says to some recruits this is a progressive university that you will never forget. Where as tradition appeals to others. I really feel they are trying to cover all of the bases as best they can...to diversify (hope thats a good word for this situation) their approach towards multiple hurdles in the eyes of fans, recruits, the program in general, etc.

What I assume is that UA is giving SDSU a much better deal than Nike was. (UA usually is cheaper, for an on par or better product)
                    UA did a good job of not going too far with the flash. (I think they realize that SDSU is not Maryland or Texas Tech)
                    I will reiterate, they can wear pink and purple uniforms as long as they win in my book. (Still the same jackrabbits regardless of the cloth on they pads so I can't care what cloth they wear really, long as they are winning)
                    No pink or purple for this Yellow and Blue guy!! Find a way to make "flash" in our school colors and I can depart with "traditional" uniforms.

Comment

If we have a winning season or better, the uniforms will not look like they do now. Its going to take some down and dirty to win games. I thought the fashion look was something the ladies discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        I know we dont have the pedigree to go totally traditional uniform like bama. Neb, penn state untill now, but I dont want us to only try to get attention from wearing flashy uniforms or outlandish stuff(see Maryland). I think its a mix of traditonal with a bit more color, just dont care for the color on the shoulder pads, it looks unfinished to me, dont mind the pants though. I would like to see SDSU as it changes some uniforms from years to years to go back to the solid blue tops with only yellow numbers with the all yellow pants. I think this is a mix taht should look good and fairly plain but ads color so its not dull but not over the top it would be obnoxious.
                        dang, I really wanted that South Dakota St. Flag helmet.

I think more creativity can come to the jerseys for football (and other sports) without going to Maryland status, though i'm not against what Maryland did in their situation, I just don't think SDSU needs to do that. Maryland got more recognition from their football program (which wasn't that good) this past fall then they did the prior 3 years combined.

I always thought an alternative jersey could do wonders, once a year have either a black uniform or a yellow or some different color (still school color based). But only once a year, auction them off for the scholarship fund or something.

Comment

Point taken goon,

Not sure what the exact terms of the deal are, but I think part of the situation is that Nike has stopped working with smaller schools.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Our Nike contract was set to expire in June 2012, so in October 2011, SDSU sent a request for proposals to Nike, Adidas and Under Armor. Long story short is that, through negotiations, UA gave us the best deal. As a result, we're now a UA school. At least that's how it was reported in the latest edition of "Rabbit Tracks." That story also hinted that the football jerseys would be jazzed up a bit...but not nearly to the extent of Maryland.

I've also heard that Nike is phasing out "smaller schools." Don't know if that's the case or not, but that story is making the rounds. Guess we might know based on whether they continue to provide jerseys for the Bison. USD is, at least for now, an Adidas school.

(My 800th post. Not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed about being on here that much.)
                            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Just a couple of other interesting tidbits from the "Rabbit Tracks" story about our signing with UA:

"Another contract provision is 'bonus compensation to support our teams and head coaches based on their level of success. If our basketball or football teams win a conference championship or participate in postseason competition, their sport budget is eligible to receive a team performance bonus.

"'If the head coach in any of our sports is named coach of the year, they are eligible to receive a cash bonus from Under Armor,' (senior associate athletic director for internal operations Rob) Peterson said."

Comment

Really cool. Thanks for sharing, JF96.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X