Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 2-Deep Chart

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2012 2-Deep Chart

    It's never too early right?
    (returning starters in all caps)

    OFFENSE
    QB - SO AUSTIN SUMNER, 6-5 230 *
    QB - SR Jordan Thomas, 6-3 215

    RB - SO ZACH ZENNER, 6-0 215 *
    RB - SR Tyrel Kool, 5-9 190

    WRZ - SR AARON ROLLIN, 6-1 215 *
    WRZ - SR Dan Schmidt, 6-4 205

    WRX - JR BRANDON HUBERT, 5-11 185 *
    WRX - JR Trevor Tiefenthaler, 5-10 190

    WRW - SO Jason Schnieder, 6-5 210
    WRW - SR Jeff Fish, 6-1 190

    TEB - JR VINCE BENDETTO, 6-3 250 *
    TEB - RFR Chad Strehlow, 6-3 220

    TEP - SR SETH DAUGHTERS 6-5 250 *
    TEP - RFR Cam Jones 6-5 240

    LT - JR BRYAN WITZMANN 6-7 300
    LT - So Trevor Gregor 6-5 300

    LG - JR ALEX PARKER 6-5 310
    LG - JR Taylor Suess 6-3 290

    C - SR WILL CASTLE 6-2 310
    C - SO Nick Purcell 6-3 295

    RG - JR JOSH KAGE 6-4 280
    RG - SR Alex Olinger 6-3 295

    RT - SR JON FICK
    RT - SO Andrew Mueller 6-4 260

    DEFENSE
    DE - JR DOUG PEETE 6-3 245
    DE - SO Auston LaBlance 6-3 245

    DE - SO Nick Krings 6-4 235
    DE - SR Joe Kennedy 6-3 235

    DT - SR ANDY MINK 6-2 265
    DT - SR DAVID HETTIGER 6-3 235

    DT - JR CHASE DOUGLAS 6-3 270
    DT - SR Bryan Burke 6-4 290

    OLB - SR ROSS SHAFRATH 6-1 220
    OLB - SO Jack Sherlock 6-4 235

    MLB - SR CHRIS TRACY 6-1 230
    MLB - SO Robbie Jelsma 6-3 235

    OLB - JR RC KILGORE 6-1 210
    OLB - RFR TJ Lally 6-0 220

    CB - JR WINSTON WRIGHT 5-10 185
    CB - SO Joe Martinson 5-10 165

    CB - SR DAVID GODLEY 6-0 180
    CB - RFR Je Ryan Butler 5-11 175

    SS - SR SKYLAR LUXA 5-11 210
    SS - SO Jake Gentile 6-1 195

    FS - SR BO HELM 5-10 195
    FS - RFR Jimmie Forsythe 5-10 185

    - I'm guessing that TE Seth Daughters and maybe DT Bryan Burke will have a shot at getting another season because of getting injured with playing much this season. Although football is harder to great that extra year than other sports. If they get it, they will be Juniors and not Seniors.

    - Alot of fans want to see Tyrel Kool moved back to WR but I kept him at RB until we hear otherwise. My gut says he will be at RB next season anyways.

    - The biggest needs for a JUCO are at
    - TE - Starters are good with Benedetto & Daughters but depth is needed, unless this years freshman are ready to play next season.
    - DE - Besides Doug Peete, there's alot of unknowns and youth.
    - CB - Need 1 more that can fill out the top 3 with Wright & Godley
    - FS - Helm was fairly inconsistent last season at both CB & SS. An upgrade would be good if we can get it.
    - SS - Luxa was also inconsistent and was moved to LB towards the end of the year. Probably biggest need for a JUCO unless a freshman is ready.
    Last edited by rabidrabbit; 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM.

  • #2
    Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

    I agree that this is who should start, with the exception of Kool as wideout as you note. However, go figure the starters on the O-line. The starters the last game of the season at Western Illinois were LT - Witzmann, LG - Suess, C - Purcell, RG - Kage, RT - Gregor. Go figure. Good luck.

    Backup QB is tough too. I thought Thomas looked good myself. But when does R FR Eric Kline get his chance? Does he stay 3rd string?

    I thought Gentile stepped up at Safety.

    Who do you see coming out of the freshman class?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

      I would perfer hettinger at DE and look for a juco DT or wide body to help fill in the middle. Now if only we could clone Mink.

      I think Kool will stay at RB just to have more expereince even if he isnt the best option there. it could be rough again having a soph starting running back and freshman back up with no exerpeince. I would perfer Kool to have plays designed for him. Use him like I say as a hybrid, A catching running back but lines up in the slot but run a few up the middle just to change it up. I feel is a good play maker and good speed but we just dont use him very well.

      I think Oline will really need to step it up. A team that gave great protection 2 years ago and this year really struggled. I guess you cant blame them for all the sacks when your passing 40 times agame. The more you pass the more likely you can get sacked. It was like our lineman were unable to get a push off the line. Like there were countless plays where our linemen flat out missed a block and our RB was stuffed at the line with our lineman standing there not hardly involved in the play.

      Anways I like seeing Sumners name in bold. I would thing Thomas gets the backup for now but Kline will probably easily move into second if he is as good as they say he is.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

      Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

        From what I have heard, the coaching staff loves Fr QB Kline and his abilities. If Sumner didnn't have the year he did, I think there would be a very wide open competition for QB, but now I don't see that happening. I could see them moving him, as he is a great althelte. I know one of his coaches at Blaine, he said he is the type of kid who would be open to moving as long as he had a chance to see the field. He is a big kid, could be a TE/WR.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

          Originally posted by goon View Post
          I would perfer hettinger at DE and look for a juco DT or wide body to help fill in the middle. Now if only we could clone Mink.

          I think Kool will stay at RB just to have more expereince even if he isnt the best option there. it could be rough again having a soph starting running back and freshman back up with no exerpeince. I would perfer Kool to have plays designed for him. Use him like I say as a hybrid, A catching running back but lines up in the slot but run a few up the middle just to change it up. I feel is a good play maker and good speed but we just dont use him very well.

          I think Oline will really need to step it up. A team that gave great protection 2 years ago and this year really struggled. I guess you cant blame them for all the sacks when your passing 40 times agame. The more you pass the more likely you can get sacked. It was like our lineman were unable to get a push off the line. Like there were countless plays where our linemen flat out missed a block and our RB was stuffed at the line with our lineman standing there not hardly involved in the play.

          Anways I like seeing Sumners name in bold. I would thing Thomas gets the backup for now but Kline will probably easily move into second if he is as good as they say he is.
          I asked Stig this very question. He says no, they aren't looking for a JUCO DT. He said we just had bad luck with all our guys getting injured at DT. Look for a safety and a DE JUCO.

          As for the Kool struggling at running back - our offensive line runs a zone blocking scheme. The backs in such a system need to have vision and an ability to make a cut or wiggle a bit. Neither of our running backs have the Minnet ability to make a jump cut and get upfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see the blocking scheme change next year to fit the abilities of our backs. However, Gandy is more like Minnet in his ability to move laterally and see an open hole apparently. He may get some time based on that ability.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

            As far as the #2 at QB, it will probably come down to when they would be needed. I think Kline is #2 only if he beats out Thomas in spring ball or if we are out of the playoff race.

            Good point on Hettiger moving over to DE. I thought he did a great job filling in at DT this year but he is more suited for DE size-wise. And with a year under his belt of knowing which position to focus on he could be a pretty good player.

            Hopefully the issues at O-Line this season will motivate/humble some of the players to work hard to live up to their potential and expectations. And hopefully the experience of some the younger players will leave them thirsty for more. It's hard to tell on O-Line what the issue was, who knows, maybe they were battling nagging injuries all season, but they never seemed to get good push like people expected them to with their big size advantage.

            I don't hear/read much as to which freshman performed well on scout team. Some will play more next season just based on numbers, TE Strehlow & Jones, CB Martinson & Butler, & Safeties Gentile, Forsythe, & Pickerel.

            I remember coaches saying that TJ Lally was so good in fall they considered pulling his redshirt even though we were deep at linebacker. He was one of our better recruits last season having a few FBS offers.

            I'm not sure if Scout Player of the Week Awards mean anything but the following players won more than 2 times:
            S Jimmie Forsythe, 4 times
            LB Pat Schuster, 3 times
            RB Reggie Gandy, 3 times

            Also, does anybody think that Brandon Mohr might be moved to DT? He came in as a 245 lb freshman LB which is bigger than any of our senior LBs. I wonder if they plan on moving him to DT like they did Andy Mink & Josiah Fitzsimmons who were MLB in high school. It seems like our recruiting strategy is to go after bigger high school MLBs and convert them to DT since it's hard to find athletic DTs to recruit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

              Hopefully all of our centers spend the next 8 months working on shotgun snaps.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

                Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                As far as the #2 at QB, it will probably come down to when they would be needed. I think Kline is #2 only if he beats out Thomas in spring ball or if we are out of the playoff race.

                Good point on Hettiger moving over to DE. I thought he did a great job filling in at DT this year but he is more suited for DE size-wise. And with a year under his belt of knowing which position to focus on he could be a pretty good player.

                Hopefully the issues at O-Line this season will motivate/humble some of the players to work hard to live up to their potential and expectations. And hopefully the experience of some the younger players will leave them thirsty for more. It's hard to tell on O-Line what the issue was, who knows, maybe they were battling nagging injuries all season, but they never seemed to get good push like people expected them to with their big size advantage.

                I don't hear/read much as to which freshman performed well on scout team. Some will play more next season just based on numbers, TE Strehlow & Jones, CB Martinson & Butler, & Safeties Gentile, Forsythe, & Pickerel.

                I remember coaches saying that TJ Lally was so good in fall they considered pulling his redshirt even though we were deep at linebacker. He was one of our better recruits last season having a few FBS offers.

                I'm not sure if Scout Player of the Week Awards mean anything but the following players won more than 2 times:
                S Jimmie Forsythe, 4 times
                LB Pat Schuster, 3 times
                RB Reggie Gandy, 3 times

                Also, does anybody think that Brandon Mohr might be moved to DT? He came in as a 245 lb freshman LB which is bigger than any of our senior LBs. I wonder if they plan on moving him to DT like they did Andy Mink & Josiah Fitzsimmons who were MLB in high school. It seems like our recruiting strategy is to go after bigger high school MLBs and convert them to DT since it's hard to find athletic DTs to recruit.
                Mohr sounds like a strong built kid and isnt overly fast so I would not be surprised if they moved him to the line. I also like to think the scout players of the week are a good indication they are picking stuff up pretty well. Luxa and helm were a lot their years I think and havent fully developed to game conditions yet IMO.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

                Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

                  Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  Hopefully all of our centers spend the next 8 months working on shotgun snaps.
                  I have a better idea.....let's get rid of the pistol. IMO, I have no idea why we run it. Let's get under center and play football the way it should be. Traditional pro-style offense fits our persona anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

                    Gandy came in as one of the highest profile athletes in recent history at SDSU, sounds like he has done his work in practice, as he was Scouty of the Week a few times. Has anyone heard if he could see the field next year? If he is legit, wouldn't they move Kool back to WR and have Zenner and Gandy at RB? From everything I have read about the young man, he sounds like a quality person and I hope he does well here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

                      Originally posted by mitchell View Post

                      - Alot of fans want to see Tyrel Kool moved back to WR but I kept him at RB until we hear otherwise. My gut says he will be at RB next season anyways.

                      - The biggest needs for a JUCO are at
                      - TE - Starters are good with Benedetto & Daughters but depth is needed, unless this years freshman are ready to play next season.
                      - DE - Besides Doug Peete, there's alot of unknowns and youth.
                      - CB - Need 1 more that can fill out the top 3 with Wright & Godley
                      - FS - Helm was fairly inconsistent last season at both CB & SS. An upgrade would be good if we can get it.
                      - SS - Luxa was also inconsistent and was moved to LB towards the end of the year. Probably biggest need for a JUCO unless a freshman is ready.
                      Really like what you did here Mitchell. Thanks!

                      I would love to see them use Kool like the Vikings have started to use Percy Harvin. Give him carries in the backfield, let him run routes, and let him return kickoffs and punts every once in awhile. He'll be spread out so much that hopefully he won't take that pounding all game long like a RB does. Winterboer or Gandy should be able to be the backup RB if the other two aren't carrying the ball.

                      As for the TE's, isn't there a freshman TE this year from Wisconsin that's supposed to be a stud? I don't think they'll have any trouble at that spot.

                      Defensive end and anybody in the secondary will be a major help. Wright will have one of the corner spots, but they need immediate help everywhere back there. I really hope one of the freshman CBs from Florida or Arizona can step in right away and help.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

                        Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post

                        I would love to see them use Kool like the Vikings have started to use Percy Harvin. Give him carries in the backfield, let him run routes, and let him return kickoffs and punts every once in awhile. He'll be spread out so much that hopefully he won't take that pounding all game long like a RB does. Winterboer or Gandy should be able to be the backup RB if the other two aren't carrying the ball.
                        I like this idea. Rep Points coming your way.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

                          Castle and Fick don't have the speed to play D-line. Otherwise they need to go on a major diet. C'mon. If they were D lineman, they would be playing there already. Most teams value their O-linemen and wouldn't risk it. I don't know why the Jack's don't. Stig should have stepped up and corrected the O-line. Maybe he is afraid of Meadows. How do you go from a record 6 sacks given up to 33 sacks allowed? I don't care how much you pass, this is all on the coaches not playing the right players last year. Is Will Castle 27 sacks worse than Ryan McKnight? Maybe Meadows can't handle O-line and O coordinator. Remember that when they were in the playoffs, Bailey was the coordinator. If the Jacks had $$$ they could have kept Bailey and probably not gone 5-6 the last two years.

                          Can't they see that they need to recruit some beef at tackle? I don't understand moving players to D tackle. Then again, I'm not a paid coach.

                          Mink is a good player, but he is not Danny Batton. The other teams had to game plan for Batton. They don't game plan for Mink. I think Mink would make a great DE tho.

                          Hopefully the coaches use the talent available to them. I'd like to see better than 5-6 next year.

                          The program does need $$$'s and has to higher their full allotment of coaches. The Jacks need to start beating NI, ISU, ISU, and especially NDSU again. It would be sweet.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

                            When a snap is mishandled and the QB has to dive on it, isn't that considered a sack?

                            I think that is why it looks like SDSU gave up so many sacks this year. Half of them were bad snaps or mishandled by the QB.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 2012 2-Deep Chart

                              Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                              When a snap is mishandled and the QB has to dive on it, isn't that considered a sack?

                              I think that is why it looks like SDSU gave up so many sacks this year. Half of them were bad snaps or mishandled by the QB.
                              So you are blaming Castle and Purcell? Lol, just kidding. Good point about the snaps, I don't know. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say, which I doubt, that half of the sacks, 16 were due to bad snaps. The sacks still increased from 6 to 16 or 17 then in one year.

                              Remember the O coordinator and Head Coach wanted TOB to play ahead of Sumner. And who knows if they luck out and Moss sees the field as much last year?

                              Mitchell, I respect your views and opinions a lot. You are the man when it comes to recruits among much other knowledge. Why don't the Rabbits recruit bigger D tackles? I know they are hard to find. The last large one I remember was Schroeder, but I could be forgetting someone. Keep up the posts Mitchell. You make this forum worth reading. Others too, but you are up there.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X