Prognosticating for next season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prognosticating for next season.

How does the coaching staff not identify Sumner's talent/leadership over TOB? Inexuseable. Sumner plays all year, Jacks are in the playoff hunt. Did you notice how well Dom Claire played when finally given a chance after 5 years? Who know what would have happened if he was the short yardage back. Did you see who Meadows started on the offensive line yesterday? Pure craziness on his part. Meadows believes technique out weighs talent. So very wrong. Why he messed with a record setting O-line (last year) is beyond me. Jacks run the Kickoff back inside the twenty to start the game and nothing happens. You have your best O linemen sitting on the bench. Hope that answers your question Goon.

Biggest question for next year is how do you replace Dale Moss? He was Sumner's key weapon. Again, I say move Kool back to WR to give him a weapon to help replace Moss. You need speed outside. Rollins dropped a perfect bomb from Sumner yesterday that would have been another today. Hit him perfectly in stride in his hands down the field.

The game wasn't as close as the score showed.

Very good point about the schedule. The Jacks could have used a bye during the season. And now they are done a week early. Sad. Plus Stig wants to practice next week. Are you kidding me? The season is done and the players are checked out mentally. And Stig wants to practice? How beat up does he want them? Chance for a needless injury.

Team should compete well next year. But will they get over the hump against the Northern Iowa's and NDSU? Eastern Illinois? Indiana State? Same teams they lost to the last two years?

Comment

I think moving Kool back to WR would not be a bad move, or a 3rd down back kind of a thing. We could even set up with two backs and motion him into the slot. Lot of options there. Winterboer and Gandy should be able to back up Zenner.

We only lose Sheehan, Moss, and Buchner on offense.

Maybe we stop rotating players on the OL, so they can develop some consistency? At least leave em in there for that drive...

Our DB's I think will be good. Wright is back, and he's the best one. Luxa and Helm will be back, and should only be better.
      Plus, look at the list of DB type players who didn't play this year: Butler, Gentile, Martinson were all big time recruits for us.

DLine we're going to lose alot of guys... but we should be OK. Peete, Mink, Douglas as 3 starters... lots of people to push for that 4th spot. JR Plote from AZ will be off of reshirt and he should be good.

LB we'll lose Lien, Kool, and Feller.... but we'll bring back Shaffrath, Tracy, and Killgore, who played a lot... and again a number of good recruits last year... Muff, Lally, etc...

Things definitely look like they could be on the upswing again.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
        Plus Stig wants to practice next week. Are you kidding me? The season is done and the players are checked out mentally. And Stig wants to practice? How beat up does he want them? Chance for a needless injury.
        I'd be disappointed if they didn't practice. Injuries? You've got to be kidding me. Are you worried they won't be able to go next week? FBS programs always point out that the best thing about a bowl game are the extra practices they get. Not only to prepare for the game, but also to get the younger guys some more reps. You want to just throw a weeks worth of reps out the window? I hope you never coach any of my kids' teams.
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Kool has to move back to WR, we need his hands there. Doubt will look for a JUCO RB. D-line needs to be shored up and I expect we'll take a shot at a JUCO or transfer there.

For me the first issue is the schedule. The schedules the last 3 years have been brutal for multiple reasons. Bye weeks to start the season and then end the season. Extremely tough OOC games mostly on the road. Long road stretches against higher division and highly ranked division teams. Next season starts when the finalized schedule is announced and then I'll start thinking about results.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            I'd be disappointed if they didn't practice. Injuries? You've got to be kidding me. Are you worried they won't be able to go next week? FBS programs always point out that the best thing about a bowl game are the extra practices they get. Not only to prepare for the game, but also to get the younger guys some more reps. You want to just throw a weeks worth of reps out the window? I hope you never coach any of my kids' teams.
            I hope the seniors are cleared off from these practices and we just use them as an extra week of spring ball. Be great to get young guys reps and get them learning the system instead of running scout team plays off of a card.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              I believe Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees had this debate this last NFL off season. We all know who decisively won the debate on the field.

Bowl games are in December and January. Not early November. Players need to heal their bodies without a bye. Even the scout team has the snot pounded out of them.

Sounds like you agree with Stig and believe in pounding the crap out of the players. Old School thinking. No problem. Maybe we should stop giving players water during practice and start handing out salt pills. Same Old School thinking. New thinking is effectively use the practices you have (better time managent) and save the players wear and tear.

The extra practices did not help Drew beat Aaron.

Comment

I agree with what many others have said. We should be good on offense if we can get the line in order. Move Kool to back to WR. Don't know what to make of the D next year. Defensive backs are a major concern, but Wright will be good. Kicking game could be rough. Need a new special teams coach to help there. As for the schedule, you pick your poison. Would you rather have a bye in the middle of the season and play a non-conference opponent next weekend? That's never gone well. Often there's snow. And attendance is historically horrible. Hope our out-of-conference slate is easier next year. It should be. If the D is decent, we stand a chance to beat Kansas, I think. Hope the game yet to be scheduled is against somebody new/different. Guess I'm for all the practices you can get, but you have to be realistic about how fired up guys will be about them at this point.
                Last edited by JackFan96; 11-13-2011, 09:06 PM.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I believe Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees had this debate this last NFL off season. We all know who decisively won the debate on the field.

Bowl games are in December and January. Not early November. Players need to heal their bodies without a bye. Even the scout team has the snot pounded out of them.

Sounds like you agree with Stig and believe in pounding the crap out of the players. Old School thinking. No problem. Maybe we should stop giving players water during practice and start handing out salt pills. Same Old School thinking. New thinking is effectively use the practices you have (better time managent) and save the players wear and tear.

You're thinking too hard. Who says all the practices need to be physical? I think it would be invaluable for the coaches to remove the seniors from the first team and put the underclassmen into where they'll likely be playing next year. It would definitely give the coaching staff a BETTER look at what they need to change or what JUCO's to look at this offseason. A week of practices with Kool at WR would definitely help him prepare for the offseason and into next year.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I would like to see Tief get his shot at receiver or maybe some time in the slot and get him in motion. Use him also in the return game. That guy is the fastest player on the team and needs to get some touches. Our best back possibly has not even seen the field yet and Kool could help in the reuturn game also along with moving him back to receiver.

We need to stop turning linebackers into D-line and just recruit actual D-line. Our middle of the defense is soft and we need more beef in the middle. A guy like Andy mink would have been a good DE.

Comment

Speaking of 2012, does anybody have the schedule to date?
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Overall not a bad year considering what all went down. I still to this day do not understand hoe Sumner Sid not start from they beginning of the year it boggles my mind. I will say this though I truly believe coach stuck with loyalty over talent with the quarterback situation. I know that Sumner did an amazing job in fall camp through 7 on 7 , skelley, and many more. It will hurt losing dale but I believe we have the talent to do very well next year. Just imagine if Sumner started the first three or four games what the team could have done. There are minor things that Sumner needs to work on but this kid does have the talent all around to make a huge impact the next three tears and maybe beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                          Speaking of 2012, does anybody have the schedule to date?
                          I posted a link and a rough draft here.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...-2012-Schedule

Perhaps the mods will want to make it sticky.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
                            I would like to see Tief get his shot at receiver or maybe some time in the slot and get him in motion. Use him also in the return game. That guy is the fastest player on the team and needs to get some touches. Our best back possibly has not even seen the field yet and Kool could help in the reuturn game also along with moving him back to receiver.

We need to stop turning linebackers into D-line and just recruit actual D-line. Our middle of the defense is soft and we need more beef in the middle. A guy like Andy mink would have been a good DE.
                            Well stated. I couldn't agree more.

In regards to practice, as TV reports, the point is moot. I think the coaches going out and recruiting at this point in time is huge. Now they have a week were they don't have to worry about a game/practice and can nail down some players. It would be great to get some fat guys for the D-line.

TV's stats for the O-line is mind boggling. The allowed 33 sacks? Wow. Only 919 yards rushing? Double wow. These stats alone confirm that Meadow's rotation experiment needs to end. It is hard enough to find 5 good linemen let alone 10. How does that change for next year? Enough said.

Hopefully they recruit some speed for the wideouts ala Dale Moss.

I hope the Jacks go 7-4 next year, but I'm guessing it will be 5-6.

Comment

Your kind of taking a few liberties with trying to shove words in my mouth aren't you? No water and salt pills? Where the hell did that come from? I also never said the players need to pound the crap out of each other, again you are wrong. I could careless if they hit each other, I want them to not waste the time the NCAA limits them to. Get some young kids in with the first teams and get reps in.

You say "new thinking" is effectively using the practices you have...YOU are the one wanting to not practice anymore. How is that effective use of a practice? Completely ridiculous.
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Well stated. I couldn't agree more.

In regards to practice, as TV reports, the point is moot. I think the coaches going out and recruiting at this point in time is huge. Now they have a week were they don't have to worry about a game/practice and can nail down some players. It would be great to get some fat guys for the D-line.

TV's stats for the O-line is mind boggling. The allowed 33 sacks? Wow. Only 919 yards rushing? Double wow. These stats alone confirm that Meadow's rotation experiment needs to end. It is hard enough to find 5 good linemen let alone 10. How does that change for next year? Enough said.
                                I don't think they can start with recruiting yet. In terms of going to kids' houses and things like that, anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

How the line goes, so goes the rest of the team. Especially with this team. I mean, we have a couple good RB's, from back in camp we have about 9 guys who could start at WR (not including Kool), TE's are solid (especially when Daughters comes back and the new freshman looks great), and Sumner obviously speaks for himself. We get the line working together and doing what they're capable of doing, look out.

Same applies to defense. We get some big, talented, athletes on the D line and that will fix alot of problems on defense. When you get consistent pressure with only 4 dudes, the defense as a whole looks alot better.

Comment

Working...
                                X