Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final game of the year

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
    I would like SDSU in a positon where they are expected to be in the playoffs every year and expected to compete for the MVFC title in most years.
    I would like SDSU to win a national title every year. But it's not realistic.

There is one thing that can happen quickly to make contending more likely: Schedule better. Find a way to schedule winnable, out-of-conference home games like NDSU, UNI and others do. Traveling across the country (Delaware, Cal Poly) and getting smoked doesn't exactly build confidence. I know there are those here who like to be able to brag that we'll play anybody, anywhere, anytime. But how has that worked out for us? Meanwhile our conference mates are notching two wins and gaining confidence early in the season in home games against mid- to lower-level FCS teams.

It's a money thing, of course, and I know it's a goal for the athletic department. I'll do what I can, and I hope others who have the resources will do the same.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      I would like SDSU to win a national title every year. But it's not realistic. There is one thing that can happen quickly to make contending more likely: Schedule better. Find a way to schedule winnable, out-of-conference home games like NDSU, UNI and others do. Traveling across the country (Delaware, Cal Poly) and getting smoked doesn't exactly build confidence. I know there are those here who like to be able to brag that we'll play anybody, anywhere, anytime. But how has that worked out for us? Meanwhile our conference mates are notching two wins and gaining confidence early in the season in home games against mid- to lower-level FCS teams. It's a money thing, of course, and I know it's a goal for the athletic department. I'll do what I can, and I hope others who have the resources will do the same.
      Talk to Rob. He's done a poor job of scheduling and that's not even debatable. And it isn't money, totally. Look how much we paid SUU. Its poor planning.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        Talk to Rob. He's done a poor job of scheduling and that's not even debatable. And it isn't money, totally. Look how much we paid SUU. Its poor planning.
        Exactly - I'm pretty positive that we paid SUU (is 180,000 the right number) more than NDSU paid either of their non-conference home patsies.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

We definitely need to be looking at 5 years out for scheduling. Of course if they already do that...then.....However I like the scheduling that is being done. Especially in the FBS territory. Why are we scerred of Cal Poly, Delaware was a good team for sure. But we also got Ga. Southern to come here to kick their teeth in. McNeese State was one of the best football games I ever watched, regardless of the L. I don't want to to pay to see State beat up on a D2 or non-scholly. Screw that.
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            We definitely need to be looking at 5 years out for scheduling. Of course if they already do that...then.....However I like the scheduling that is being done. Especially in the FBS territory. Why are we scerred of Cal Poly, Delaware was a good team for sure. But we also got Ga. Southern to come here to kick their teeth in. McNeese State was one of the best football games I ever watched, regardless of the L. I don't want to to pay to see State beat up on a D2 or non-scholly. Screw that.
            Not DII, but SDSU needs at least one easy game in their schedule to help build some confidence and get another win for playoffs. Playoffs is the goal here.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

This has nothing to do with being scared of playing anyone.

I've never read anyone here say schedule DII games. Only FCS games that count toward playoff contention. We need wins to make the playoffs. That is what we want don't we, to make the playoffs each year? This "aw schucks, we got beat by a good team but wasn't it a great game" thing doesn't make any sense to me. Channeling Herm Edwards, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME."

Our OOC scheduling practices are abysmal. If you don't want to pay to watch us earn wins that count towards playoff contention, I'll find someone to use your ticket. More wins=more playoff appearances and more butts in seats=more revenue=better facilities and salaries for coaches=more wins=more playoff appearances and more butts in seats=more revenue....

I think you get the point.

EDIT: And if you disagree with me, talk to Coach Stig. He'll put it more delicately than me, but it will be the same idea. I've heard it from his own mouth. The MVFC schedule is a grind and we need those lower to mid-tier FCS teams on the schedule.

Comment

This has nothing to do with being scared of playing anyone.

I've never read anyone here say schedule DII games. Only FCS games that count toward playoff contention. We need wins to make the playoffs. That is what we want don't we, to make the playoffs each year? This "aw schucks, we got beat by a good team but wasn't it a great game" thing doesn't make any sense to me. Channeling Herm Edwards, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME."

Our OOC scheduling practices are abysmal. If you don't want to pay to watch us earn wins that count towards playoff contention, I'll find someone to use your ticket. More wins=more playoff appearances and more butts in seats=more revenue=better facilities and salaries for coaches=more wins=more playoff appearances and more butts in seats=more revenue....

I think you get the point.

EDIT: And if you disagree with me, talk to Coach Stig. He'll put it more delicately than me, but it will be the same idea. I've heard it from his own mouth. The MVFC schedule is a grind and we need those lower to mid-tier FCS teams on the schedule.
                I know your point...I just agree to disagree with it. That's all. Every conference says they are a grind, nothing new there, quit making excuses and win the freaking games. "oh but our schedule....." screw that, be the dominator or the dominated. If we would have beat Delaware, McNeese State, Cal Poly, Minnesota, Nebraska which all were winnable games, that wouldn't even be part of this conversation. Play the patsies so we can get into the playoffs and then get dominated? Recruit the team that will make you a playoff team. Do you tell the recruit, we've made it real easy, we only need to win 5 conference games! Yay we made it, way to go, now let's get pummelled. No, we play the best so we want the best, that's you Junior. But. hey let's go play Upper Lower Northwest Sudan, sign me up......

Comment

I know your point...I just agree to disagree with it. That's all. Every conference says they are a grind, nothing new there, quit making excuses and win the freaking games. "oh but our schedule....." screw that, be the dominator or the dominated. If we would have beat Delaware, McNeese State, Cal Poly, Minnesota, Nebraska which all were winnable games, that wouldn't even be part of this conversation. Play the patsies so we can get into the playoffs and then get dominated? Recruit the team that will make you a playoff team. Do you tell the recruit, we've made it real easy, we only need to win 5 conference games! Yay we made it, way to go, now let's get pummelled. No, we play the best so we want the best, that's you Junior. But. hey let's go play Upper Lower Northwest Sudan, sign me up......
                  I have to agree. The best teams in our league do it one way, let's try it another. Wait, what?
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I wish football was like basketball,where you play a patsy and you don't get much credit.But,you play a tough team and win, you are given more credit.This you get to seven wins and you get into the playoffs, no matter who you play,never did make much sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      I wish football was like basketball,where you play a patsy and you don't get much credit.But,you play a tough team and win, you are given more credit.This you get to seven wins and you get into the playoffs, no matter who you play,never did make much sense to me.
                      Well, 2 OOC wins agains patsies plus a 5-3 record in one of the most physical, grinding conferences in the country means you have shot at the playoffs. We don't play in a league like Liberty or some of those other soft east coast leagues.

Comment

Fair enough. You worry about the cliches and I'll worry about us getting to the playoffs. Once a team is in the playoffs, who knows what happens.upsets occur and crazy stuff happens. Additionally, getting to the playoffs on a regular basis attracts better recruits, which means more wins, which means more playoff appearances, which means more butts in seats, which means more revenue, which means better facilities and more pay for coaches, which means more wins, which means better recruits....

EDIT: also, Delaware and Cal Poly kicked the piss out of us. McNeese winnable. The other two are FBS games and a win there is just gravy.

Comment

Fair enough. You worry about the cliches and I'll worry about us getting to the playoffs. Once a team is in the playoffs, who knows what happens.upsets occur and crazy stuff happens. Additionally, getting to the playoffs on a regular basis attracts better recruits, which means more wins, which means more playoff appearances, which means more butts in seats, which means more revenue, which means better facilities and more pay for coaches, which means more wins, which means better recruits....

EDIT: also, Delaware and Cal Poly kicked the piss out of us. McNeese winnable. The other two are FBS games and a win there is just gravy.
                          I see your point again. But I dispute it. Cal Poly kicked us this year, yes, due to our QB problem and his problems. A few years ago it was winnable, but due to our QB problem mid game...has anyone put that together:Cal Poly was the beginning and end of TOB? Delaware kicked us I agree, I was typing/thinking fast at the time and they snuck in the post. The FBS wins would be gravy, but they are also counters. Big wins over big teams will get you a higher seed and farther in the playoffs, otherwise, we probably will get kicked to Montana every year and no home field advantage(which is partially the fault of our crappy facilities)

Comment

Home playoff games aren't even a possibility if you're not in the playoffs. Realistically, you need two out-of-conference wins to get you there. The playoffs are the goal. Everybody agrees with that. Why make your road to the playoffs harder than everybody else's? To fulfill some alpha male fantasy about how tough you are? It makes no sense.

I also suspect fans would be pleased with 6 home games each year. Happy fans = more money and long-term relationships, even if you're spending money to get teams to come in.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              Home playoff games aren't even a possibility if you're not in the playoffs. Realistically, you need two out-of-conference wins to get you there. The playoffs are the goal. Everybody agrees with that. Why make your road to the playoffs harder than everybody else's? To fulfill some alpha male fantasy about how tough you are? It makes no sense.

I also suspect fans would be pleased with 6 home games each year. Happy fans = more money and long-term relationships, even if you're spending money to get teams to come in.
                              I agree. We play better at home then on the road. I know people say we need an fbs game every year but we also could benefit from a 6th home game every year. I think when we get a new stadium that is something they will have to figure out how to get more then 5 home games a year.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

You don't have to give up an FBS game to have six home games. Formula is: Eight conference games, one FBS game and two home, non-conference games.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X