Final game of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final game of the year

What do we want to see? I want to see a win for sure. also would love to see either Moss or Rollin or both get 1000 yards. I just want to see a good game and give us something to look forward to next year. There are potential changes that could be made after the year is over but I think this team has some identity and pride they can finish with getting another will. 5-6 is not nearly as bad as 4-7. At least that is what capt obvious told me. Anyway. We lost some games to some good teams that we were still compitive with. Just wish we had this offense rolling when we played both ISU blue and red. I think those games would turn out differently if we could play them again now. Maybe give the seniors a chance to help win the last game, some who havent played much but were here for 5 years. Also maybe get some back ups in and get some experience. I guess that is assuming we can win the game rather handidly.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Re: Final game of the year

What's the consensus? Would 5-6 be a moral victory ending for a season that started so poorly? Good launching point for next year? At any rate, Jacks can finish higher than the predictions of the pre-season forecasters.

Comment

A 5-6 finish would be amazing given the poor start, dumb schedule and general weirdness of this season. With so many players coming back next year, you have to be optimistic and think winning 3-straight to finish up would carry over to next year.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think it would be a moral victory, but ultimately we will look back on the season with disappointment on how it played out. The biggest mystery to me is how the coaches could be so blind to talent in not starting Moss and Sumner to start the year. I know people like to bash play calling, but the inability to assess talent (or perhaps the unwillingness to accept their talent) is unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2 View Post
          I think it would be a moral victory, but ultimately we will look back on the season with disappointment on how it played out. The biggest mystery to me is how the coaches could be so blind to talent in not starting Moss and Sumner to start the year. I know people like to bash play calling, but the inability to assess talent (or perhaps the unwillingness to accept their talent) is unacceptable.
          I think a lot of it might come down to how they practice. The slow starts to almost every year. How in practice TOB looked better then Sumner, what ever they do in practice durning fall camp, really does not get them ready for the season and give a true assesment of talent. We get better as the year goes on because we make adjustments after the first few games. Last year I felt we finished strong giving hope to this year. Lets home with a new QB and almsot the whole offense back that it will be a better start of the year. Frankly I think they need to win this game.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The biggest mystery to me is how the coaches could be so blind to talent in not starting Moss and Sumner to start the year. I know people like to bash play calling, but the inability to assess talent (or perhaps the unwillingness to accept their talent) is unacceptable.
            I often wonder to myself, who else do we have sitting on the bench?
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Great first post. One could say that Kool/Zenner would fit in this discussion too.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

http://www.archive.org/details/Coach...v.9th2011S2e11

- SDSU head football coach John Stiegelmeier joins the Sports Block with Travis and Charlie to review the Jacks 45-34 win vs. Southern Illinois on Hobo Day and preview the season finale at Western Illinois. Live from the student union answering students questions. ksdjradio.com and 90.7 FM in the Brookings, SD area.
                Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

5-6 wouldn't be too horrible.

The only loss we had where I felt we were the superior team was Illinois St. And even that game we almost won even though it was Sumner's first start and we fumbled the winning TD away in the last minutes.

We win that and we're 6-5 with one upset away from the playoffs.

The biggest thing ist that our scheduling has to improve. I don't like that we still have to go to UND and play Cal Poly twice at home. We need to start getting more cupcakes for the non-conference games.

If we had NDSU's schedule, we'd be looking at going to the playoffs too.

Comment

Would really like to see our offense get Huebert more involved in the middle of the field this week. He was not in the game much last week as we were in a lot of 2 tight sets. If we get him more involved in the middle of the field that opens up the outside for Moss and Rollins. Would also like to see us run out of our passing sets more, when we bring 2 tights in the game we are pretty predictable. We could develope a very effective run game if our coaching staff would figure out that we need to run out of our passing sets and throw out of our run sets.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      A 5-6 finish would be amazing given the poor start, dumb schedule and general weirdness of this season. With so many players coming back next year, you have to be optimistic and think winning 3-straight to finish up would carry over to next year.
                      Pretty familiar ring to this tune. The season has been and will be a disappointment regardless of the outcome tomorrow. Nothing wrong with admitting that. If the goal for you as a supporter of the program is to finish .500 in conference and lose all the prominent games than I guess it would be considered a success. If our coaching staff considers it a success there are even greater issues than the obvious ones.

I still get asked on a regular basis by non Jackrabbit fans how it is possible that our staff failed to recognize the talent and strengths at key specialty positions. The answer escapes all of us and is evaded by the coaches. A 5-6 or 4-7 record doesn't justify any of it, even if it includes 3 straight wins against poor football teams.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

What I was just trying to say. I had a long conversation with one of the assistant coaches preceding Coach Stig's hiring as an assistant in the late 80's. This individual was approached about taking the head job around the time Daly was hired. He had a lot of insight and made it fairly clear to me that success is all about finding and evaluating talent, recognizing it and then securing it and utilizing it properly. I'm not sure that is happening with enough regularity for this program to succeed at the level we expect it to. The reasons for that are multiple and there is no single place for the blame to be centered.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                          I often wonder to myself, who else do we have sitting on the bench?
                          If you were a coach and were in goal line situations and you haven't been successful with the two backs you have used

Which of these would you use?

6-0 215 lbs
                          5-11 225 lbs
                          5-9 190 lbs

One of them has been sitting on the bench all year, until he did the hardest running TD, I think I've ever seen. I think that's the only armchair coaching I will do for now. Hindsight's 20/20. But no coach even tried to do it any other way until the season was over.
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            If the goal for you as a supporter of the program is to finish .500 in conference and lose all the prominent games than I guess it would be considered a success.
                            I think this is the hardest thing for most of us SDSU supporters on this Board to deal with. All of us would love to see the Jacks be in the playoff race every single year, but unfortunatley that is an unrealistic goal at this level. We might not like it, but the norm for us is going to be up for a few years, down for a few years, then back up again. That's just the way it works at this level of college football. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule (see UNI), but for a majority of the schools like SDSU, Southern Illinois, etc., this is going to be the norm whether we like it or not.

If you demand that your team be in the hunt every year, SDSU will not meet the requirements. You need to change your alliances to a school like Alabama or LSU, but even they have down years every now and then (see Florida and Texas).

Some of you will say we need a bigger budget, which is a fair argument. Keep in mind, however, that regardless of our budget, we would still need to convince top-level talent to come to Brookings, SD for 4 or 5 years of their life. I'm not trying to knock Brookings, just being realistic.

Having your team compete year in and year out is the desire of every sports fan, no matter how unrealistic that desire is.

Comment

For those of us that followed SDSU football before Daly was coach this season is all too familiar. And not welcome. I would like SDSU in a positon where they are expected to be in the playoffs every year and expected to compete for the MVFC title in most years.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to point at causes for this season other than an observation that before the change in QB the team had no fire. After the change the team had more fire but still suffered from execution failure.
                              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                              X