Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDLT to broadcast both SDSU & USD games on 10/29/11

Will the Irish game be on Versus?

As far as the new radio guy. Its hard to replace a legend. I'd also guess that its pretty hard to be the color guy for Tyler because Tyler has been the color guy in the past. The one complaint I'd give him is he needs to dumb it down to a point. He uses terms like "Mike LB" and some other ones on defense where I don't get it. Just a critique. I think its a work in progress.

Comment

I like Mike Struck's commentary. I judge color commentators by how much they teach me about the game. I used to love Jim Kaat for that reason. Struck really does have insight into the team and the game. He'll get better at delivering it.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

As far as the new radio guy. Its hard to replace a legend. I'd also guess that its pretty hard to be the color guy for Tyler because Tyler has been the color guy in the past. The one complaint I'd give him is he needs to dumb it down to a point. He uses terms like "Mike LB" and some other ones on defense where I don't get it. Just a critique. I think its a work in progress.
        Mike = Middle
        Sam = Strongside
        Will = Weakside
        Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 10-25-2011, 07:22 PM.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          Mike = Middle
          Same = Strongside
          Will = Weakside
          Thank you......

Comment

Better not preempt "Gun It! with Bennie Spies" on Versus

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              I like Mike Struck's commentary. I judge color commentators by how much they teach me about the game. I used to love Jim Kaat for that reason. Struck really does have insight into the team and the game. He'll get better at delivering it.
              I agree Struck does a very good job explaining coverages. He did sound rather nervous the first game, which is understandable, but has improved with each game. As been mentioned and I agree, the color guy does not have to sound like Mel Allen or Vince Scully, thats Merriman's job. After listenting Stig's coaches show on Monday, Tyler mentioned Wayne Rassumusen and that his uncle played baseball with him at Howard. If Tyler's uncle is the one I am thinking of, his uncle had a very good singing voice and was the soloist for the Statesman Male Chorus back in the mid 1960's at SDSU. I dont know if Tyler does solos, but he has a very clear radio voice.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 10-26-2011, 06:27 AM.

Comment

I personally object to having the letters USD in a thread title on this board that is "Of, by and for South Dakota State Jackrabbits fans".

I'm a day late with my objection, age must have something to do with it!

Signed Old Grouch!

Go JACKS!1

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  I personally object to having the letters USD in a thread title on this board that is "Of, by and for South Dakota State Jackrabbits fans".

I'm a day late with my objection, age must have something to do with it!

Signed Old Grouch!

Go JACKS!1
                  Decaf . . . or smoother whiskey . . .
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    I'm a day late with my objection, age must have something to do with it! Signed Old Grouch! Go JACKS!1
                    An Old Grouch, with whom I am fully in agreement! Are we going to start following the TV schedules of IPFW, etal? The only one who actually cares about the Saturday night KDLT schedule is JackJD, who would hate to miss an episode of "Gun It! with Bennie Spies".

Comment

Mike, Will and Sam backers are pretty common place football terms used on broadcasts at all levels. What Struck adds is his ability to analyze. Several times in the game on Saturday, he made it easier as a person watching the game from afar to understand what was happening. For example, he would say things like, "The Jacks caught the Bison rolling a safety up, creating a cover 3 look. Sumner saw that and hit Moss right in the middle of the zone for a nice play." When watching the game on the video or even just having the radio feed playing as I'm trying to keep my kids from killing each other, those sorts of additions to the game call help me visualize what's going on in the game.

In the interest of full disclosure, Struck and I are friends and ex-teamates.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        An Old Grouch, with whom I am fully in agreement! Are we going to start following the TV schedules of IPFW, etal? The only one who actually cares about the Saturday night KDLT schedule is JackJD, who would hate to miss an episode of "Gun It! with Bennie Spies".
                        Hey, Benny Spies is a Jackrabbit (degrees from SDSU and Florida State) and his show, "Gun It!" is a real hoot ... and it's catching on! For those not familiar with the "unusual" hunting show, Gun It with Benny Spies, go to Benny's website: http://bennyspies.com/index.html

Comment

Re: KDLT to broadcast both SDSU

As a friend of Ben's, i can tell you he was picked up for a third season. He's out filming now.

Comment

Not to change the subject, though I'm not sure I am; I just watched the video of Gun It for the first time and that's a great show. Where is Benny from?

Comment

Watertown guy. Benny's undergrad degree is from SDSU.

Remember Spies Grocery Store in Brookings and other communities in the region? (First Bank and Trust's headquarter bank is now on the site in Brookings)...same Spies family. The Spies chain of grocery stores was sold many years ago...the Cowboy Convenience Stores in several communities are the commercial descendants.

Brother Josh, also an SDSU grad, is a very accomplished and very successful artist based in Watertown. I listed Ben's webaddress in a prior post. Here's brother Josh's website: http://www.joshuaspies.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                Watertown guy. Benny's undergrad degree is from SDSU.

Remember Spies Grocery Store in Brookings and other communities in the region? (First Bank and Trust's headquarter bank is now on the site in Brookings)...same Spies family.

Brother Josh, also an SDSU grad, is a very accomplished and very successful artist based in Watertown. I listed Ben's webaddress in a prior post. Here's brother Josh's website: http://www.joshuaspies.com/
                                A tip of a tongue question has been answered. Thanks JackJD.

Comment

Working...
                                X