Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fizon Vs. Funnies Game day thread

Originally posted by goon View Post
    We go for it on fourth down when we have no chance to win yet to make a statement and score from 1 yard out we can't figure out how to get a td. You aren't going to beat ndsu going for fg. Your also not going to get many chances to score close. I think we set the tone to lose when we go 79 yards but can't score. We are 2 afraid to take a chance early and we never really had a chance.
    Yep. It's bad enough when you can't get a td from 1 yd out, then miss the fg..........it's like getting kicked in the nads twice.

Comment

NDSU did what they needed to win. They played a good game.

Worst coaching call was not going for it from the 1 yard line. I had no problem with a pass play on first down. But the next play was so obviously going to be a run up the middle and we didn't disappoint. Going for it in the first quarter wasn't going to hurt our record. Worst play on the field---not fielding the punt which pinned the team on the 3 yard line. Horrible decision. But the most frustrating thing once again was the offensive line. Stupid penalties and the inability to block anyone are killing us. It's time Stig tells the offensive line they can't go to George's on Weds. night because they don't deserve it. And to top it all off, this is the first time I have ever seen a team lose a yard when the ref spotted the ball. WOW!!!!
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Crappy day at CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Crappy day at CAS.
          On a bright note, i had a fantastic medium rare steak at Mad Marys in Flandreau after the game. So the day wasnt a total loss.

Comment

Generally, the better team wins. NDSU is a very good team. I think they'll handle UNI, and I'll be rooting for them against the Panthers.

A big play that really hurt was the no-call on the holding when NDSU punted with the score 17-7. Kilgore is the only guy rushing the punt, gets his shirt about ripped off. No call. Punt goes out on the 3. We manage 1 yard and then punt return for a TD. 24-7. They should have been punting again from 10 yards back.

That said, there's no excuse. We made a lot of mistakes. We need to be able to run for a yard. We can't. Meanwhile, the Bison were making plays. NDSU has a very impressive team. They ran a play a couple of times where these huge linemen pull and lead Jenson around the end. I don't know how you would stop that for less than 8 yards. Just one example. But they're good. Like deep in the playoffs good.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
              Good game by the Bison.

Jacks will be fine but that is no consolation for this year. They get a capable RB to compliment Sumner and the Jacks will be very tough to beat. Sumner is only a RFR, just like Jensen for us last year.
              Actually, a true freshman.

Comment

Sumner's first year was last year -- a red-shirt year. He's not a true freshman this year.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Generally, the better team wins. NDSU is a very good team. I think they'll handle UNI, and I'll be rooting for them against the Panthers.

A big play that really hurt was the no-call on the holding when NDSU punted with the score 17-7. Kilgore is the only guy rushing the punt, gets his shirt about ripped off. No call. Punt goes out on the 3. We manage 1 yard and then punt return for a TD. 24-7. They should have been punting again from 10 yards back.

That said, there's no excuse. We made a lot of mistakes. We need to be able to run for a yard. We can't. Meanwhile, the Bison were making plays. NDSU has a very impressive team. They ran a play a couple of times where these huge linemen pull and lead Jenson around the end. I don't know how you would stop that for less than 8 yards. Just one example. But they're good. Like deep in the playoffs good.
                  NDSU is a good team,but I'm not ready to go a lot farther than that. Despite all the mistakes,it was only 17-7 going into the 4th quarter(should have been no worse than 17-13) and the Bison only had 10 or 12 yards more yards of total offense according to the scoreboard. Plus,the Jacks lost maybe their best defensive player early in the game. Not being able to punch the ball in on the first drive,and then missing the chip-shot FG took a lot of steam out of the team and the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    NDSU is a good team,but I'm not ready to go a lot farther than that. Despite all the mistakes,it was only 17-7 going into the 4th quarter(should have been no worse than 17-13) and the Bison only had 10 or 12 yards more yards of total offense according to the scoreboard. Plus,the Jacks lost maybe their best defensive player early in the game. Not being able to punch the ball in on the first drive,and then missing the chip-shot FG took a lot of steam out of the team and the crowd.
                    Not only that but our running game is now where to be found. We keep running the same off left tackle plays and Kool does not seem to be suited for those type plays. Zenner seems to have at those type plays Our wildcat/flash plays seemed to work though, that was a bright spot, if our center Will Castle would stop bobbling those snaps. Whats with Castle, is he afraid of a center dump?

Comment

Just watched the press conference with Stig. Sounds like a beaten man. I love the guy, but I'm not sure he has the ability to turn this team around. I went back and read the comments from some of the first threads on this board when we were making the transition and I saw that many people were questioning his ability to be a DI coach back then. Obviously, we know that he can be successful as we have been in the DI era, but I feel that he has completely lost this team. The coaching staff seems to not be on the same page. As JimmyJack continues to maintain we will never be a consistent winner with our budget situation, but I don't know if we can be a winner again with this current group of coaches and players.

Congrats to the Bison they are a very good team! Best of luck to you the rest of the way this season!
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Toughts on Jackrabbits from bison perspective

1. I think Zenner is a better running back than Kool. Either use Kool as a #2 rb to give Zenner a breather, or use him like we use #4 Ryan Smith. Kool has talent, but he needs the ball in space.

2. Sumner will be/is a solid QB, a guy you can build your program around. I think having a capable QB is the biggest piece of the puzzle. You can tell he has more pocket presence and throws better than TOB ever did. He's also faster than I thought he'd be

3. Does your OC ever think about throwing deep over the middle. Moss would be great going downfield with his size.

4. Need to get the new stadium. CAS is in rough shape.

5. You guys aren't that far away from being a solid team. I could see the Rabbits in the playoffs next year, just need to build on what Sumner is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbison View Post
                          Toughts on Jackrabbits from bison perspective

If the population of Brookings was equal to SF we could a have town and gown agreement and charge a sales tax for upteen years and walla we have a fabuluous fargo dome. I guess if you paid 5 bucks for a program you would have seen the drawings and article about the plans for a new staduim.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbison View Post

I agree with everything you have said but this one point was something we talked about yesterday. We all know something has to be done with CAS it's getting old hearing it from the Bison faithful everytime you leave here...but, and this is a big but, man, wasn't it nice to watch football on a day like yesterday, OUTDOORS, they way it was meant to be.

Comment

A few observations.

1. Need to work on the shot gun snap from center. It was never in the same place twice to Sumner. This is a basic fundamental the coaching staff needs to see and correct.

2. Need to move Kool back to the WR spot. Zenner should be the feature back. Especially if we keep trying to run up the middle all of the time. Coaching staff needs to see the strengths and weakness each player has and put the players in the best positions to make the team successful.

3. Need to try and punch it in from the one on the first drive. Either we get a TD or turn the ball over on downs. If we turn the ball over on downs we force them to drive the entire length of the field with the possibility of being able to get a safety.

4. The NDSU player was out at the four yard line on the punt returned for a TD. I was sitting in section L and it was plain as day. Can't the MVFC do better than bad HS officials?

5. Zenner and Sumner are studs

6. I wish our crowd was half as into the game as the NDSU fans were.

7. Time for some new blood and new ideas at the head coaching position. Stig is a great person and nice guy, but at some point a change needs to be made. If the Yankees can get rid of Torre and the Broncos can get rid of Shanahan we can turn the page to the next coach of SDSU FB.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
                                I agree with everything you have said but this one point was something we talked about yesterday. We all know something has to be done with CAS it's getting old hearing it from the Bison faithful everytime you leave here...but, and this is a big but, man, wasn't it nice to watch football on a day like yesterday, OUTDOORS, they way it was meant to be.
                                ...and more importantly on grass like the game was meant to played!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X