Next: UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next: UNI

While having lunch at the computer...the discussion about field advantages reminds me a little about a debate in the sport of cross country about teams which live and train at higher altitudes. There's no question runners from the lowlands who go to a competition at altitude have a disadvantage. Correspondingly, runners from higher alttitude have an advantage when competing at a lower altitude.

(Side note: that's why the SDSU's men's cross country Summit League Title in 2009 at Southern Utah's home course against a favored SUU team was particularly impressive -- same effort by both teams at sea level and SUU would probably quit the conference and join something like the Big Sky. The Jackrabbits won it again in 2010 when the host was Indiana State. Altitude is such a significant factor in track and field that the qualifying standards for various meets are adjusted for altitude -- there are standardized tables with the adjustments.)

Okay, now let's see where I'm going with this....

If one assumes conditions approach the concept of "ideal" in a good indoor stadium with the best turf, then a team having somewhat of an advantage is the team that regularly plays and practices in less than ideal conditions such as natural grass (incidently, I'm not convinced natural grass is inferior to turf, at least not all artificial turf...turf has its own set of problems... unless the grass is exceptionally soft, exceptionally hard, muddy or very uneven). If there is something about an artificial surface that enhances speed, it seems that everyone gets a speed boost including visitors who customarily play football the way it was intended (an outdoor game).

The real kicker is when teams have to visit indoor teams having bad facilities and/or bad artificial turf*. I think there is a distinct home-field advantage in those cases and home win-loss records seem to bear that out. Similarly, I suppose if an outdoor team continually has bad playing conditions on natural turf, that's a home field advantage.

Back to work.

*Might have been one rug ago but seems to me NDSU's surface was living room carpet on cement parking lot.

Comment

Is it game time yet. Im getting all stoaked for this game. Win or lose I am just looking forward to seeing a team give its all and hopefully come out on top. cut out the bone head penalties, espicially on kick offs, D be aggressive and O dont turn the ball over. and with some new play calling, this game could be one for the ages.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Well yes lots of potential. Looked pretty good to start. Then the lack of execution and mistakes diminished a good effort.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Jacks are very clearly much improved. That said, the D-line is undersized and the DB's will be overmatched against a much faster UNI team. I think we can throw the ball but will need to establish some run game to give Austin time. That may be difficult to do but seems much more likely given the O-line's performance Saturday and what seemed to be a much better scheme on offense.

Jacks could eke one out if we can go +2 on turnovers and keep the penalties to a minimum. Going to have to cover kicks and punts well and avoid the big play by UNI. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to CAS but I'll be cheering loudly from whatever location I'm at.
          Didn't work out the way we needed it too. Great first half, if UNI doesn't get that pick in the endzone the end result may have been different. Too many turnovers on us and they got the big play we needed.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Good point on the end zone pick. This team isn't ready to open it up and gamble a bit when playing from behind.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
            X