Next: UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next: UNI

Just cause it's is in the head's of the fans does not mean the players are thinking about it. I would be absolutely shocked if the UNI players or coaches are losing sleep over the playing surface.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Not sure I agree with that RO: each player is given a symbol -- different shoes -- that remind them they are about to play on a surface they rarely encounter (don't tell me practice on grass is quite the same); star running backs who think they're real fast will be thinking about it; any cornerback who fell on turf is likely to think that natural grass is more slippery. For domers, the potential for wind, high or low temperatures, etc. all make the experience interesting.

Sure, the good players will just deal with it. In the meantime, I continue to think its pretty funny when a dome-fan is critical of natural grass. I understand what they're saying but if anyone should complain, it should be those visiting teams who have to play in the artificial, sterile environment of a dome.

Comment

I definitely agree with your last paragraph, but from my experience good players deal with things like this without issue, and UNI is loaded. I think it helps that they have tons of upper classmen as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          Just cause it's is in the head's of the fans does not mean the players are thinking about it. I would be absolutely shocked if the UNI players or coaches are losing sleep over the playing surface.
          No one said they were losing sleep. But that does not mean it's still not a home-field advantage.
          And:
          A. One dollar says they use their "MondoTurf," whatever the heck that is, as a recruiting point to recruit "speed." It'd be a good bet that Turf-vs.-grass was a basis for some of their "speed guys" reason for being at UNI.
          B. What J.D. says about the shoe reminder.
          C. The possibility that Mother Nature can always intervene - rain, snow, wind, cold - is a perennial issue with a "Dome Team" in the NFL. Why not in FCS?
          D. You and others have commented on Jacks' lack of team speed. You don't think UNI team - coaches, players, etc. - have discussed that in films, and ruminated about the difference between Jacks on home grass vs. Jacks on MondoTurf in their house?

Advantage SDSU on all four points.

Comment

How is UNI using their field as a tool to recruit speed (point a) an advantage for SDSU?

Comment

How is UNI using their field as a tool to recruit speed (point a) an advantage for SDSU?
              Ahh, because they may not be as fast on grass eliminating some of that speed advantage they might have had. I guess that is my guess.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The flip side of the discussions of the disadvantage of a grass team playing in their house. I'll concede that; may even have in posts about Jacks playing in their house (and I do mean house). You might even have been in those discussions. It's based on an implicit belief that you can run faster on turf than on grass. You've joined a speed team and you've most likely chosen UNI over grass-field schools at least in part because you think over your four years of eilgibility you're going to run faster at home. If you concede all this, and I bet you would, then how could a normal human not think of all that as he prepares for the moment he steps onto the grass?

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Ahh, because they may not be as fast on grass eliminating some of that speed advantage they might have had. I guess that is my guess.
                  Some, but not all.

And Nova, college athletes are not normal human beings. They are the chosen few with gifts god/Buddha/Allah did not bestow onthe rest of us

I just don't agree that "They use their field to recruit faster athletes. Advantage: SDSU."

Comment

Some, but not all.

And Nova, college athletes are not normal human beings. They are the chosen few with gifts god/Buddha/Allah did not bestow onthe rest of us

I just don't agree that "They use their field to recruit faster athletes. Advantage: SDSU."
                    All things being equal and most programs had fake turf, most games they have the same conditions home or away. Real grass gives us an advantage when we play at home and they are not use to it every week. On the same hand we play more games on the road then at home, and we play most of our road games every year on fake turf which limits us on the road but the fact we play field turf more on the road then teams coming here play on grass. To me that seems like an advantage.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Hopefully we can put some of those pop up sprinklers from the BWW's commercials. We get those now that we are getting one right? THAT would be an advantage that might slow down the Panthers

Comment

Hopefully we can put some of those pop up sprinklers from the BWW's commercials. We get those now that we are getting one right? THAT would be an advantage that might slow down the Panthers
                        I'm pretty sure the sprinklers have been running at CAS all week. Keep that field nice and soft for Saturday.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I agree with what Goon is getting at. I know this is a tenuous link but in horse racing there are sprinters, turf and mudders. They each do better on their specific tracks. IMHO, a bad sloppy field is one of the greatest equalizers in football.

ps: by no means do I imply that CAS is a bad sloppy field.
                          Last edited by joeybrownerHOF; 10-14-2011, 12:09 PM. Reason: added ps
                          Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

First time: I agree with JoeyBrownerhoferintheNFLmessageboardnamedtoodamned long

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                              I agree with what Goon is getting at. I know this is a tenuous link but in horse racing there are sprinters, turf and mudders. They each do better are their specific tracks. IMHO, a bad sloppy field is one of the greatest equalizers in football.
                              Exactly, like that one game we dont speak of around here.

Comment

Honestly that game didn't even cross my mind until you posted but yes that would be an example.

Good to hear JD. Believe it or not there is probably plenty we agree on. I will be hunting in the area this weekend and plan on attending the game. Assuming I can get a ticket. I enjoy attending quality football games.
                                Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Working...
                                X