Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thomas O'Brien Quit the Team

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    A couple of points and I will let it go at that. As for the criticism of the coach "releasing the information", Tyler Merriam asked Stig on his radio show, that after the Cal Poly game, was TOB still the quarterback in the next game. O'Brien had made his announcement at a team meeting at 4:30 p.m. (a half hour before the radio show started). Stig answered truthfully. What would you have done?

I get so tired of the constant second-guessing that goes on and the internet and fan boards have made it so a bunch of people, anonymous usually, can wail away. You should all read Terry Vandrovec's series on the psychology of athletics these days, and how wacky it is getting. TOB may not have been the guy and Sumner may be the answer, and maybe the coaches were wrong for not playing him. But the terms used by a bunch of posters were just ridiculous. They were right, of course, because O'Brien didn't single-handedly score 49 points for the Jacks. So, assuming all of you who were calling TOB out constantly, will let Sumner have a honeymoon, I look forward to all of your posts calling out the players on defense, or the offensive line, or whatever, if we lose a game.

TV, on his live blog, got continual questioning from "Rich" (who knows who that is), blaming everything on TOB, and Terry, in response pointed out a few actual facts, and yet Rich kept going, again and again, until TV finally responded, "I get it...you have had it with TOB." I think we would all be better off if fan posters would state their position and then move on. Repeating it over, and over, gets pretty tiresome for me, anyway.

I'll be at Illinois State, cheering on Sumner, and all of our other players. I will pray for a win...as the Good Lord knows, as well as we do, that we could use one.
    I didn't know the situation of how it was released. I think Stig was in a tough spot, at least it sounded like O'Brien addressed team, Notre Dame had a QB quit a few years ago and the coaches found out when he didn't show up for the bus.

Its a tough spot, maybe Stig could have told Tyler before hand and asked if he would avoid topic. I'm just saying that I know of many people who quit on something for a day that are similar age for similar reasons. Sometimes its best to let things cool for a day. But would agree that Stig was in a tough spot there.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      No. As JJ said earlier in some other thread, Dale's tweet was vague and could have been about anything. People here jumped to conclusion because they/we are idiots. Pretty obvious it wasn't about TOB, now.
      Thanks for clarifying!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
        Tyler Merriam posted on Facebook that Coach said no decision has been made on who will start this week at QB.
        Ryan Berry have any eligibilty left?I kid, I kid.I just hope we get a win Saturday. I don't care if its 100-99 or 3-2.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by jackswag View Post
          I feel so bad for TOB. On a football team when your teammate is struggling everyone needs to have his back. I know for a fact there is alot of fingerpointing going on in that locker room and most of it was going at TOB. Let's be honest though. Is TOB giving up an average of 40 points per game right now on defense? TOB wasn't playing great but lets be honest here, the blame should not be entirely on him. I would say the defense needs more work than the offense. Where is the accountability on the defensive side of the ball? Good luck TOB and I'm sorry that you got thrown under the bus before the season even started by your fans and most of all your teammates.
          I think there is plenty of accountability on the defensive side and it had better improve or wins will be tough to come by. We got dominated the last 2 weeks and by a smaller O-line at Poly. Sure, there were a few guys dinged up but that is expected. No doubt the defense has to improve. I still think there were many other factors that lead to this decision. Not just the performance on the field. I'm surprised but far from shocked, it seemed something was not right.

I also agree that way too much emphasis is placed on what affect a forum can have on an athletes performance. Stay the heck off the board if you can't deal with the ignorance. If you can't deal with the ignorance and still frequent the board, the problem is you.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

No. As JJ said earlier in some other thread, Dale's tweet was vague and could have been about anything. People here jumped to conclusion because they/we are idiots. Pretty obvious it wasn't about TOB, now.
            Yeah- My bad. I honestly assumed that was what it was about. I'm sorry.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I admit to being one of those idiots. I obviously jumped to the wrong spot on my jump to conclusions mat.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                Ryan Berry have any eligibilty left?I kid, I kid.I just hope we get a win Saturday. I don't care if its 100-99 or 3-2.
                Need to change your tag line to inlcude "message boards and twitter."

Who the heck are we going to complain about now? Meadows? Eidsness? Let's get Wilkenson (sp?) back with Berry and Ranek too.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Well, guess I still haven't explained it enough...Stig was late getting to Cubby's (suppose the team meeting had something to do with that?) He walked in, put on the earphones and the program started. Tyler's question came out of the blue for Stig. But of course, Stig also knows that with twitter and fan boards, word on ANYTHING spreads instantly.

And my last short rant on this subject...another thing is the kind of posts used above about what Dale Moss said on Twitter. He sure as heck never badmouthed TOB (and I follow Dale) and his subsequent Twitter posts make his position quite clear. But that's the way things start, a statement is posted without real knowledge of what was said, and off we all go. That's -30- for me on this subject.

Comment

Well, guess I still haven't explained it enough...Stig was late getting to Cubby's (suppose the team meeting had something to do with that?) He walked in, put on the earphones and the program started. Tyler's question came out of the blue for Stig. But of course, Stig also knows that with twitter and fan boards, word on ANYTHING spreads instantly.

And my last short rant on this subject...another thing is the kind of posts used above about what Dale Moss said on Twitter. He sure as heck never badmouthed TOB (and I follow Dale) and his subsequent Twitter posts make his position quite clear. But that's the way things start, a statement is posted without real knowledge of what was said, and off we all go. That's -30- for me on this subject.
                    Thanks for the clearup. Like I said I didnt know the circumstances and then maybe Stig knew that he wasn't coming back as well.

Comment

The Collegian has been working on this story since it broke a few hours ago. Here's an update:http://bit.ly/nyXuKr

Comment

blaming everything on TOB, and Terry, in response pointed out a few actual facts
                        I was that guy and I think it's fair to point out that the Cal-Poly game validated the emphasis I placed on the QB as it relates to SDSU's woes. SDSU had the advantage in TOP, yet lost by 5 touchdowns. SDSU had 2 pick 6 interceptions, including one in the Cal-Poly end zone. That's a net difference of 3 touchdowns right there. Throw in the botched play at the end of the half and you have 4 of the 5 TDs accounted for.

And, for the record I also said, more than once during that chat, that I couldn't fill T.O.B's shoes, and that I didn't consider him a bad person. I never booed O'Brien, and I didn't boo Crawford either.

There is no shame in admitting that you are overmatched.

By all accounts, O'Brien is good guy, and willing to put in the effort to be a better player. It's my hope that he is able to find another pursuit, in football or out of it, that he can apply himself to with the same enthusiasm and better results.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Need to change your tag line to inlcude "message boards and twitter."

Who the heck are we going to complain about now? Meadows? Eidsness? Let's get Wilkenson (sp?) back with Berry and Ranek too.
                          Sumner, duh!!! Just wait until Saturday evening when we find out why TOB was our starter - not Sumner - and let the bashing begin again! It's sad...

Comment

If I here another thing on here, twitter or facebook about wait until the truth comes out my head is going to explode. (and I've heard it from both sides of the argument) If you have info, actual info say something if not don't. The handful of people I follow on twitter and facebook that are actually part of the team have said nothing but good things about TOB and support him leaving and feel that him leaving was a loss.

The truth will come out someday I suppose. And when it does we can discuss it on here.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              I was that guy
                              Lol @ Zoo getting told by TV to shut it.

Shocking.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                If I here another thing on here, twitter or facebook about wait until the truth comes out my head is going to explode. (and I've heard it from both sides of the argument) If you have info, actual info say something if not don't. The handful of people I follow on twitter and facebook that are actually part of the team have said nothing but good things about TOB and support him leaving and feel that him leaving was a loss.

The truth will come out someday I suppose. And when it does we can discuss it on here.
                                Until that time, I guess we speculate. Just no rumors.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X