Thomas O'Brien Quit the Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thomas O'Brien Quit the Team

There is a difference between fans bailing on someone and fans turning on someone. It seemed since the day Sumner committed all what fans and media (not all but a fair share) talked about what anything TOB was bad at and how Sumner could do it better.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      There is a difference between fans bailing on someone and fans turning on someone. It seemed since the day Sumner committed all what fans and media (not all but a fair share) talked about what anything TOB was bad at and how Sumner could do it better.
      If I recall, that was what fans did with Craword and how TOB should start.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm not going to lie. I wanted sumner to play but I didn't want it to go down like this. Some of it had to deal with watching him in high school, being a somewhat local product and the fact that TOB kept making dumb decisions. The closet thing I can relate the qb situation before he quit was the Texas Longhorns qb situation. Garrett Gilbert was a high recruit 5 star at that and almost led Texas to win in the NC game. However his next season he was 5-7 and was granted the starting job out of fall camp. However, he continued to throw two INTs in the first game. Brown decided to bench him right away and go with the back-up and they went on to win the next game. I see the similarities between the two but Stig let this build-up for far too long. He shoulda benched him earlier. Let's not forget that Sumner was getting recruited by Iowa State and was a borderline FBS QB so he is no slouch by any means. Just my two cents.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          If I recall, that was what fans did with Craword and how TOB should start.
          I think there are some important differences. TOB had played (and performed) and Crawford wasn't 100% coming back. Though I think some people (probably including a younger version of myself) went to far.

Comment

joeboo: You said it once and I let it slide. But twice I am calling you on it. Can you site names when mentioning which "media" talked all about "what anything TOB did was bad at and how Sumner could do it better"?

Comment

The team quit on TOB long before TOB quit the team. TOB's dagger was him sliding feet first into the endzone.

People have every right to defend Tommy resigning. I think they are jumping to conclusions too quickly and will end up looking foolish defending a quitter. He is 21 years old, an adult per US law. Not a kid. I consider a Junior in college a grown man. This is America, you do have a right to quit; however, quitting in a bad situation is not the same as quitting to better yourself. And if you think he quit because of this forum, man get a grip with reality. Most players don't even know this forum exists let alone pay attention to it. They are coached to ignore the media, this forum is not even the media. If you think this forum is pressure...cmon get real.

Wait until the full reason for his quitting comes out before you rush to judgement. You may end up being embarrassed defending him. Be patient.

TOB quitting is a testament to his charecter. It is a poor testament to the Coaching staffs judgement and belief in him.

By quitting, TOB has proved his detractors correct. Your starting D-I QB should never, ever be a quitter. No wonder we were 5-6 last year with 6 players in NFL camps. How many kids would cut a deal with the devil for a chance to QB the Jacks? Think about it seriously.

By quitting, TOB is showing his selfishness. What about the 92 other players who worked their butts off for a chance to play and win? The players deserved better than a QB like this. The other players also are risking life and limb by playing D-I football. The QB position is by definition a leader and they deserve a leader with guts. Not a quitter like he quit on the one yard line. No excuse for that play. Please defend that play, I need some comedic relief tonight.

The coaches deserve better than this. It is their livelyhood.

The fans deserve better than this. How much money do you spend on Jackrabbit football every year?

Anyway, time to move on. TOB quit and by definition therefore is a quitter. Maybe by his quitting a cancer has left the team.

I believe that the players and coaches will rally around Austin. I sure hope the fans do. I feel good for the Jacks chances this Saturday with their new leader.

TOB is in the past. The Jacks have moved on. I hope the fans now move on. The Jacks now have a fresh start. Go Jacks!!!

Sorry, I'm on my daughter's computer that lacks the spell check feature.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Best for both parties if what is being reported is fact. It isn't fair to the individual or the team if everyone isn't on the same page. The details may or may not be provided in the future. I wonder if Coach Stig will touch on it at the difference makers meeting?

Makes a lot of sense to me. I saw conflict between TOB and the players on the field Saturday. Watch the replay and keep your eyes on the guys, not a cohesive group. They are looking for a leader and TOB wasn't comfortable in that role. Enough with the speculation, decision made everyone goes forward from here.
                A very logical post. Rep points.

Comment

Wow. To say my jaw dropped when I saw this thread tonight would be an understatement.

Remember TOB, football isn't everything, I'm sure you have a bright future ahead of you.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                    joeboo: You said it once and I let it slide. But twice I am calling you on it. Can you site names when mentioning which "media" talked all about "what anything TOB did was bad at and how Sumner could do it better"?
                    It seemed to me it started when Terry implied that Coach Meadows took his name out of considerations at NSU because he got a verbal from Sumner. Now maybe that is a quot and I get that is Terry's job. But that started the trouble in my eyes. If the OC is actually taking his name out of consideration because of a verbal how good can he be. Then Stu wrote a ridiculous I don't know what it is bout Sumner coming in to save the day at Nebraska. And then after a bad season, where the defense struggled bad in a lot of games, all what I heard about was how the QB was the reason they lost games.

I also follow other newspaper sports guys throughout the state and a few of them had also been critical throughout the last year.

I also met social media as well, twitter in general has been pretty harsh, yet failed to look at the fact that they threw for 47 times, yet only ran for 33 yards. Don't care who the QB is I don't like that game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                      The team quit on TOB long before TOB quit the team. TOB's dagger was him sliding feet first into the endzone.

People have every right to defend Tommy resigning. I think they are jumping to conclusions too quickly and will end up looking foolish defending a quitter. He is 21 years old, an adult per US law. Not a kid. I consider a Junior in college a grown man. This is America, you do have a right to quit; however, quitting in a bad situation is not the same as quitting to better yourself. And if you think he quit because of this forum, man get a grip with reality. Most players don't even know this forum exists let alone pay attention to it. They are coached to ignore the media, this forum is not even the media. If you think this forum is pressure...cmon get real.

Wait until the full reason for his quitting comes out before you rush to judgement. You may end up being embarrassed defending him. Be patient.

TOB quitting is a testament to his charecter. It is a poor testament to the Coaching staffs judgement and belief in him.

By quitting, TOB has proved his detractors correct. Your starting D-I QB should never, ever be a quitter. No wonder we were 5-6 last year with 6 players in NFL camps. How many kids would cut a deal with the devil for a chance to QB the Jacks? Think about it seriously.

By quitting, TOB is showing his selfishness. What about the 92 other players who worked their butts off for a chance to play and win? The players deserved better than a QB like this. The other players also are risking life and limb by playing D-I football. The QB position is by definition a leader and they deserve a leader with guts. Not a quitter like he quit on the one yard line. No excuse for that play. Please defend that play, I need some comedic relief tonight.

The fans deserve better than this. How much money do you spend on Jackrabbit football every year?

Anyway, time to move on. TOB quit and by definition therefore is a quitter. Maybe by his quitting a cancer has left the team.

I believe that the players and coaches will rally around Austin. I sure hope the fans do. I feel good for the Jacks chances this Saturday with their new leader.

TOB is in the past. The Jacks have moved on. I hope the fans now move on. The Jacks now have a fresh start. Go Jacks!!!

Sounds like you have some insider info...

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Best for both parties if what is being reported is fact. It isn't fair to the individual or the team if everyone isn't on the same page. The details may or may not be provided in the future. I wonder if Coach Stig will touch on it at the difference makers meeting?

Makes a lot of sense to me. I saw conflict between TOB and the players on the field Saturday. Watch the replay and keep your eyes on the guys, not a cohesive group. They are looking for a leader and TOB wasn't comfortable in that role. Enough with the speculation, decision made everyone goes forward from here.
                        Maybe if some of the players that don't play QB would spend less time looking around for a leader,and step up themselves,things maybe wouldn't have snowballed so fast. Is there a Batten,or a Rogers or a Domino type leader on defense ? I only saw highlights (if you can call them that) of the Cal Poly game,but it looked just like the Illinois game where defensive players trying to make tackles in the open field were getting turned around so many times that it looked like they had vertigo. Now that no one will blame the QB for at least a week,it's time for some of the other players to step up and take ownership of this team. Sorry for the rant.

Comment

I feel so bad for TOB. On a football team when your teammate is struggling everyone needs to have his back. I know for a fact there is alot of fingerpointing going on in that locker room and most of it was going at TOB. Let's be honest though. Is TOB giving up an average of 40 points per game right now on defense? TOB wasn't playing great but lets be honest here, the blame should not be entirely on him. I would say the defense needs more work than the offense. Where is the accountability on the defensive side of the ball? Good luck TOB and I'm sorry that you got thrown under the bus before the season even started by your fans and most of all your teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by jackswag View Post
                            I feel so bad for TOB. On a football team when your teammate is struggling everyone needs to have his back. I know for a fact there is alot of fingerpointing going on in that locker room and most of it was going at TOB. Let's be honest though. Is TOB giving up an average of 40 points per game right now on defense? TOB wasn't playing great but lets be honest here, the blame should not be entirely on him. I would say the defense needs more work than the offense. Where is the accountability on the defensive side of the ball? Good luck TOB and I'm sorry that you got thrown under the bus before the season even started by your fans and most of all your teammates.
                            Great first post, Swag! I agree...

Comment

Please don't call a kid a cancer. I hate that terminology. my mom had cancer, my aunt had cancer, my uncle had cancer, my grandma had cancer, another aunt died of cancer, 2 of my grandmas brothers died of cancer, my moms best friend died of cancer and one of my best friends grandpa died of cancer. I don't care what a person does or how bad his personality is he should not be called a cancer. And from everything I've heard he was not a cancer, and if I'm not mistaken his mom had cancer.

I think the fans should rally around whoever the QB is and around the team in general. Some people weren't doing that before.

Comment

This^^^. I hear ya man. I hear ya
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X