Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Illinois GDT

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
    I have a question for those at the game. Were our recievers even running any routes more than 10 yards downfield? If they are, and the quarterback just doesn't throw to them, then I don't know how much of that is coaching philosophy as opposed to QB issues.

That said, this is division 1 college football. Occasionally the QB needs to throw footballs to recievers that look covered and let them make a play. He needs to anticipate where the reciever will flash open, and get the ball out on time. We don't have the 'elite' recievers that the QB can wait to see running wide open before he makes the throw, and expect them to still be open when the ball gets there. We do have recievers that can make plays on the football when givin the chance.
    On the postgame video with Coach Stig he mentions that the Wr's couldn't run routes longer than 8 yards as our offensive linemen were having trouble with protection. Might be a point well taken as their D-Lineman were much more athletic-HOWEVER we still don't look to throw the ball down field regardless.

Comment

Hey rabbits - tough loss yesterday, but at least it looked like you guys came out reasonably healthy. The QB issues, and maybe some of the playcalling issues on your side probably need some work, but as a whole, I thought your guys did about as well as you could against princess Illiniwek. I wouldn't let this loss get you down too much. I think Illinois really is that good this year, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see them in Indy in December.

I won't say the score is deceiving in any way, but to me, the things that really stood out was Illinois' superior athelticism, which I believe led to your costly turnovers, and Scheelhasse. There were several plays in the first half, where you had the Illini defended about as well as you possibly could, only for that little SOB to improvise some 30 yard run. That's going to be tough for any Big Ten defense to contain, let alone an FCS one.

Hope those of you that made the trip enjoyed the Illini gameday experience. I've always thought they have a pretty cool gameday set-up, even if half the fans stay outside to tailgate. Good luck the rest of the season, except for 09/24, of course

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
        On the postgame video with Coach Stig he mentions that the Wr's couldn't run routes longer than 8 yards as our offensive linemen were having trouble with protection. Might be a point well taken as their D-Lineman were much more athletic-HOWEVER we still don't look to throw the ball down field regardless.
        8 yards is like 4 strides...if our coaches truly don't think our receivers can get more than 4 strides downfield we have serious issues in the coaching department.
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          8 yards is like 4 strides...if our coaches truly don't think our receivers can get more than 4 strides downfield we have serious issues in the coaching department.
          The opposing DB's won't lose any sleep on the night before they play us. How would like to be a DB and never have to open up your hips to run. Just stay in your back peddle cause u know the QB is going to release it quick and the DB can just drive on the WR. So fu$$ing stupid I can't believe we allow it to happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
            Obviously highlights show the Illini at their best, but the St. Louis NBC outlet's clips were humiliating. The Jacks looked like the football version of the Washington Generals. I'm sure the D was worn out but there's something very wrong with TOB. At the risk of regaling Nidaros with fifty year old memories, he kind of reminded me of sixties USD QB Bruce Smebaken who was hit so many times behind a non-existent line that he developed a serious case of PTSD. Remember walking up behind him in a bar one time and the reaction was interesting to say the least.
            Bruce Smebaken does not show up on my memory radar, unless he was calling the sigs on Hobo Day 1963 and saw his non existent line get pounded 61-0, then I may have seen him play . He must have been a tough Norwegian to take those poundings.

I think yesterday's game can be summed up in one word, overwhelmed.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/videonetw...ayers-Illinois

http://www.argusleader.com/videonetw...Coach-Illinois

Comment

I am not going to hit the panic button just yet. We are 1-1 and we lost to Illinois. Let's keep this perspective. But it doesn't take a genius to look at the game film, or the past two years for that matter to see that TOB rarely sees a second receiver on the field. He locks on the first one.

Stig said the line play wouldn't allow for down the field looks, ok, Stig, i like and respect you enuff to go with that. But seriously, can you tell me why so many receivers are coming in and out of the game on every series? Let's try and develop a little chemistry/rhythm between the qb and receivers. I get you need to do some of that, makes sense some but come on man. Also, I don't see Moss catching many passes this year so I think we need to move on. Makes for a great story and all and I am sure he is a GREAT leader, but it is time to go with other boys!!

Looking forward to Cal Poly and going 2-1! That will make everyone forget the Illini game!

Comment

Illini were bigger,stronger, faster than our guys.....enough said about that.Blowouts expose all kinds of weaknesses we will have to deal with and correct.Still a lot of season left,can't let one game against a fine Illinois team get into our head and ruin the whole season.....toughen up and get rolling again.

Comment

I posted some stats on TOB in the time for a change? thread. may open some eyes, maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                      Want some silver lining for the day (besides the punting and special teams coverage being great)? Southern Utah beat Sac State by 21 today. Sac State beat Oregon State last week. So maybe the Jacks really aren't that bad.
                      The only thing good that came out of this game at Illinois was the $400,000.00 check. I'd cash it quickly before they ask for it back. OK, I will give you special teams play. TOB clearly needs to pick up his game or he will be replaced in the near future. Need a quality win at Cal Poly.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                        The only thing good that came out of this game at Illinois was the $400,000.00 check. I'd cash it quickly before they ask for it back. OK, I will give you special teams play. TOB clearly needs to pick up his game or he will be replaced in the near future. Need a quality win at Cal Poly.

GBGBGJ
                        I was thinking somewhat the same thing about the check, but that how it goes sometimes. I was not at the game but listened to the audio, and it seems like everyone on the team including the coaches were overwhelmed by the Fighting Illini. This was not our first rodeo and it should not have been this way, but to have the opponent score 8 unanswered TD kind of tells it all. (one FG is not an answer to the opponents onslaught.)
                        I dont know if a qb change will solve all the problems when the problem seems to affect everyone. Lets hope our guys can unshellshock themselves to play to win in Cal Poly this weekend.

Comment

Met a pretty cool group after the game yesterday when they were tailgating after the game (what a concept). For the most part, Illini people were very gracious, but why wouldn't they be after that butt whooping.

Really not looking forward to coming home tomorrow, but such is life.

Wanted to go 1-1 this weekend in my man's football trip weekend and that panned out. Bears game was nothing short of awesome.

Comment

The thing that bothers me the most about all of this is that there is no responsiblity taken on behalf of TOB for the way he played. In Sunday's paper it says we didnt do the things we needed to in order to win the game. As a quarterback he has never mentioned he didnt play well enough for the team to win and to me it all starts with quarterback play. TOB is so afraid in the pocket that he stares down the one receiver that he wants to go to every single play. When Sumner came into the game he looked off the receiver he was going to 2 out of 3 times. How long is it going to take to pull someone that just is not producing like they should? Coach said at the beginning of the year that there was going to be a short leash so why not make the switch? In all honesty how bad could it hurt that they would try someone new? People dont wanna hear that Sumner is the savior and all of that and that is fine but the Jacks better be hoping that someone is becasue they are not going to get it done with TOB. Maybe the reason they dont open up the playbook is because of the fact they dont have the confidence in TOB to make the passes but yet still dont make a change. I seen numerous times in both of the first two games TOB throwing off of his back foot or jumping in the air to make a throw. I would say probably 50% or more of his passes are horrible not even close to where a receiver can make a play. Its time for a change whether he is a junior or not becasue he has not performed like a Division 1 football quarterback!

Comment

A bigger, stronger, faster and much more talented team kicked the crap out of a smaller, less strong, slower and less talented team. That, is why they call them "guarantee" games. This is pretty well understood. That said, there are some big questions that remain unanswered for the Jackrabbits. I just hope we see the Jackrabbit team that scored 20 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter against SUU and not the team we've seen the other 7 quarters this year.

Tailgate before and after the game was excellent and made the trip worthwhile. I may even have to start cheering for Illinois in the Big 10.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                A bigger, stronger, faster and much more talented team kicked the crap out of a smaller, less strong, slower and less talented team. That, is why they call them "guarantee" games. This is pretty well understood. That said, there are some big questions that remain unanswered for the Jackrabbits. I just hope we see the Jackrabbit team that scored 20 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter against SUU and not the team we've seen the other 7 quarters this year.

Tailgate before and after the game was excellent and made the trip worthwhile. I may even have to start cheering for Illinois in the Big 10.
                                If we see an Illinois team go like 8-3 or higher, I think I will feel much better about the score. With Ohio State being on the ropes for their misques, it opens it up for the Illini to move forward. To my way of thinking, this game showed where our program is at. We need improvement at every position, and not just the QB. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X