Illinois GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Illinois GDT

Well the "savior" appears to be coming in. The biggest sore spot today for me is the horrendous tackling.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      I'm disappointed like everyone else. TOB is shook. Sumner would probably be shook too.

The last couple games against BCS teams we showed pretty well so maybe we are expecting more than we should. Illinois is clicking on all cylinders and that is something that Nebraska did not sniff doing last year.

We have to remember that we are tangling with a whole different animal this week than the normal. And that's the problem. We are there getting a check which we need. Sure, we are there to win the game too but let's be honest about the check part. I worry that this setup each year has potential to hurt our confidence more than help. The last two years it helped us though.

If the same problems continue next week against an equal opponent then I get an itchy finger to pull the QB and try something new. Yes, part is play calling, but a big part is the QB.

Thanks for the check Illimois! on to Cal-Poly!

SUPERBUNNY
      I'm beginning to think the play calling really has everything to do with no trust in TOB. So why is he still in the game? And why, why can't Stig get it through his head that TOB may not be the answer? If were waiting for Sumner to get more experience before he becomes the guy one, why isn't he getting more experience today. Two, should we simply accept that this is a throw away year? With TOB at QB I don't see us breaking .500.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        True or False? It Sumner plays this entire game, the score would be 49-49? I have to go with True.
        I really hope you're kidding. Keep in mind that this kid is a redshirt freshman. He's not gonna show up and be some kind of John Elway/Chuck Norris/Jesus as he's been built up by alot of you.

As the old saying goes, "The most popular man on a struggling team is the backup quarterback".

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
          I really hope you're kidding. Keep in mind that this kid is a redshirt freshman. He's not gonna show up and be some kind of John Elway/Chuck Norris/Jesus as he's been built up by alot of you.

As the old saying goes, "The most popular man on a struggling team is the backup quarterback".
          It was sarcasm due to people asking for Sumner to come in...

Comment

For Jacks fans, it's a definite 605-er. But it's nice to see Sumner and some other backups getting field time.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              It was sarcasm due to people asking for Sumner to come in...
              D'oh. I stand by my point despite the lack of an operative sarcasm detector.

Comment

At least Sumner has some zip on his passes. Something Jacks fans haven't seen for a couple years.

Quick summary of every running play I saw today - TE shifts or short motion, run between the guards. SDSU doesn't even run as wide as the tackles. My wife even predicted a run play when the TE shifted and she's watched one SDSU game in the last 8 years.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                  I'm beginning to think the play calling really has everything to do with no trust in TOB. So why is he still in the game? And why, why can't Stig get it through his head that TOB may not be the answer? If were waiting for Sumner to get more experience before he becomes the guy one, why isn't he getting more experience today. Two, should we simply accept that this is a throw away year? With TOB at QB I don't see us breaking .500.
                  They won last week and TOB played good, not great, and had the one throw that cost us. Throw away the season? Oh, hell no! Nowhere in there did I say anything about this being a throw away year. So , we get drilled by a good Big 10 Illinois team, this team can still have a very good season.

TOB has to come back next week and take care of the ball against Cal-Poly. If he can't do that then we need to look elsewhere.

I still look for this team to be a contender in our conference and to be in every game. If the QB, whomever it is, is going to give the ball to the other team then that just isn't going to happen.

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The "dink and dunk" offense will not cut it against these stud opponents! No vertical passing game, equals these db's just sit on the receivers. It's ugly! TOB is not the answer but we need to put up with him until Sumner is ready. The announcers kept saying that TOB just locks in on his receivers! Yep, welcome to our world! Zenner played well. This game is lost mostly from the offense, AGAIN!

Comment

It good thing that we got those new uniforms. We would really be looking bad in those old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
                        The "dink and dunk" offense will not cut it against these stud opponents! No vertical passing game, equals these db's just sit on the receivers. It's ugly! TOB is not the answer but we need to put up with him until Sumner is ready. The announcers kept saying that TOB just locks in on his receivers! Yep, welcome to our world! Zenner played well. This game is lost mostly from the offense, AGAIN!
                        The offense was bad,but the defense was no prize either. Very bad tackling- you can't block people down,you have to wrap them up. The special teams were the only unit that came close to holding their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                          This is beginning to look a lot like the Nebraska game..... in 1963. And yet we continue going with TOB.
                          In 1963, we went on to win the rest of the season. I think we were 9-1 in 1963. good pt rept pts given.

Comment

At the end of the day, we learned we're not as good as FBS Illinois. No big shocker there.

Coming in, I really didn't think we were 53 points worse than FBS Illinois, but that appears to be the case.

What do you know, everyone's savior Sumner (who I'm sure will be good) came in and didn't lead a TD drive, and that was against the 2nd (3rd? 4th?) team defense.

Can him too, time to pull Kline's redshirt.

I hope we got a huge paycheck for that.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Turn the page, burn the film, and take the frustration out on Cal-Poly!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                In 1963, we went on to win the rest of the season. I think we were 9-1 in 1963. good pt rept pts given.
                                I thought Nebraska was late in the year, probably remember wrong-- it was my Freshman year. Anyway, to me it sort of set the stage for the next three years of nastyness. The wrap on Ginn was he was too old and couldn't make the necessary changes--of course in those days they blamed it on platooning. The parallel I see is that the coach was accused of not being able to come up with new approaches as the game itself changed. Sticking with the same thing over and over. Some parallels there.

Comment

Working...
                                X